Blut Aus Nord
MoRT

good

by dyeva USER (3 Reviews)
February 20th, 2007 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My journey to France has revealed that indeed, there is such thing as time travel. As I embarked on my journey, the three gentleman that work under the name Blunt Aus Nord guided me throughout the ages. Without them, I would surely have died.

Artists hailing from the French black metal scene seem to be producing some of the most peculiar music, as the music of bands such as Blut Aus Nord develops into an anomaly plagued with strange, incomprehensible sounds, rejecting standard black metal practice in favor of the sounds produced on MoRT.

Chapter I - VIII:

Unlike experimental bands such as Spektr, who still retain certain elements of black metal such as thin, buzzing guitars and misanthropic shrieks, the music here is much more subdued, favoring a sound that continues throughout the whole album. With that, the music appears to be one continuous dirge of a loop, with atonal guitar melodies creating a sense of helplessness in the listener. It pulls you in and never really lets go until it is all over.

MoRT takes hold of a dadaist approach to music and sticks to it, destroying conventions and then following its own warped rules. There is a sense of twisted enjoyment that one can get out of the music. Acting in a mere ambient setting, the album can provide a soundtrack to losing your virginity to your father's best friend's daughter's second cousin (before you kill her). Perhaps it could gently buzz in the speakers as you prepare dinner for your husband and kids. After all, nothing quite says "Honey, pass the salad" like deep growls, dissonant washes of notes and reverberated drums.

If you find French cuisine as wonderful as I do, then MoRT may just be the album for you. Make sure to invite Vindsval, W.D. Feld, and GhÖst, for the meal would not be complete without their soothing musicality. When finished with your four course meal, it may be in your interest to survey the room for a film, perhaps a love story in Normandy, and take a seat with your companion and quietly enjoy it with this album.

A perfect first date, my guarantee.

3.3
FiniteUniverse (4.5)
MoRT is arguably BAN's most controversial album, but it is ultimately a triumph that transcends genr...

The Jungler
February 20th 2007

I'm not big into metal, but on occasion I'll find a band that I really like. Maybe I'll check these guys out.
Great review, funny and descriptive in a small package.

Plutonio
March 24th 2010

Album is the shizit

Hawks
December 16th 2012

I really like Blut Aus Nord overall, but they definitely have a few duds throughout their discography. This being one of them.

Digging: Fen - Carrion Skies

Doomsday160
October 10th 2014

I wouldn't exactly call this a dud but it does feel like its missing something to make it special. I listened to this for the first time today and i liked most of the tracks. This felt like a continuation of their musical ideas in TWWTG but that album seemed more thought out and refined than this one. Not much of a progression though in my opinion but this really wasn't a bad album.

Serenityinaz12
January 29th 2015

their worst release imo

September 22nd 2015

Like the score to a Silent Hill game. Never understood the hate for this one. It's a valuable entity in their discography, really hypnotic.

May 2nd 2016

So no one wants to discuss industrial tinged BM on the good ole' sput of nik on a Monday morning.

iloveyouall
May 2nd 2016

it's monday night, and not really, but w/e, i'll indulge you.

torts

hey its mort

May 2nd 2016

Was morning when I posted this an while I understand most BAN dabs don't like this, it's great overall. Just outside of their typical sound.

Asdfp277

Mort.

BallsDeep
May 19th 2016

Just listened to this, its probably just as unsettling as TWWTG if not more so although i cant see it having much replay value

Digging: Coldworld - Autumn