Shpongle
Are You Shpongled?

by thunderzstruck USER (4 Reviews)
February 12th, 2007 | 30 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Shpongle was a pioneer in the psychadelic world that left us truely an expierence of various rythms and music that has left an imprint on the scene.

Shpongle, a word when you recommend to anyone or say, the typical first reaction is some odd face followed by, “What’s a Shpongle?” With this, this can also bring up the same reaction with one’s reaction to the music. The ramblings of some guy in Divine Moments of Truth, or the sudden breakdowns through scattered throughout the album. It’s an album of high and lows, of tension and release. Shpongle has mastered the art of their genre leaving many psychedelic bands in the dust with their complex rhythms, intense production, or the softness of Raja’s flute breaking over the top.

The album starts out with Shpongle Falls with a slow long buildup. The clearness of water droplets hitting upon a surface break down in between the first two tracks which just showcases the pristine production on the album. Vapour Rumors starts out a slow drifty flute track until climaxing into a staccato flute and synth driven beats. It’s the psychedelic genre exploding through the speakers before breaking down into a few oddly chosen voice samples.

Shpongle Spores stays relatively tame when coupled with Behind Closed Eyelids (prize to whoever figures out what their referencing to hah) the odd noises throughout the song is used to only enhance the music with enough changes to not bore the listener. Divine Moments of Truth (or DMT, a very hallucinogenic drug) is probably Shpongle’s most famous song starts out with a rambling voice with an odd jungle-esque rhythm behind it. It is probably Shpongle’s musical peak and the entire song never lets up with enough voice samples, DJ breakdowns, and electric violins solos to keep any drug user happy. The song eventually breaks down at the end to make way for nearing the end of the journey with …And The Day Turned Into Night.

This is an album which much of the electronic/psychedelic world has hailed as one of the greatest pieces of work. If I were to point any flaws the album is a little on the longer side, clocking in at an hour 18 min listening all the way through can be daunting but it does change enough to rarely drag on. The problem with this album is in comparison, Tales of the Inexpressible this album does not seem to be as varied or diverse.

This music is certainly not for everybody as most would probably find it too weird or out there and no clear melodies or direction may put off a first time listener. It is an intense album at times with peaks and valleys and much in between. Shpongle would go on to release two more albums to form a trilogy and while this may not be my favorite album of theirs, it does fit second on the list. The music on the disc is definitely a long ways away with mainstream music of today as a huge leap. It is an album that conveys a sense of wonder about the world and around us. It is meant to be listened to and not just background music but late at night with a high quality sound system or any place that conveys nature in its purest form. It’s incredible production just leaves me with questions as to how this album and Shpongle seem to be ignored in music awards and categories.

They will clearly be missed in the electronic world but they have left behind great music. So the question remains: Are You Shpongled? (Generic joke)

TheSpaceMan (3.5)
Welcome to a world all its own....

February 12th 2007

Nah, no way worth a 5. Shpongle's other 2 albums leave this in the dust. And incidentally, "Dorset Perception" is ALWAYS used as incidental music or beds for adverts and montages, and that alone renders it their most famous song. I've lost count of the amount of people I've played that to, and have told me 'Hey, I know this from rugby/X-Factor/Hollyoaks/Soccer AM/!'

Kaleid

:lol: @ Iai
This drifts too much for me. Some very nice moments, but you sometimes feel like shouting, "Get on with it!"

February 12th 2007

It does get played a scary amount on Soccer AM, it must be said. It like the Hollyoaks/Belle & Sebastian ratio. Or England getting knocked out of some tournament/"Stop Crying Your Heart Out" by Oasis.

February 12th 2007

Nothing Lasts was a disappointment to me and Tales is the lesser of this in my opinion. I was probably wrong about the most famous song but from my expirence DMT is their most reconisible it seems.

niobium
February 12th 2007

Wow, someone actually reviewed it. Sweet.

This doesn't deserve a 5 though.

February 12th 2007

yeah after listening through again i have changed my review on it. Im still updating the review as to make it less biased as this review was based almost purely off memory

Ill listen to the album again and see how my rating fits it

February 12th 2007

Wow, someone actually reviewed it. Sweet.

Other Music mailing list ftw, amirite?

Catchthe22
February 12th 2007

It's probably a 4 at best. Im liking that 3.5 though.

Apocalyptic Raids
February 13th 2007

Great album, but I prefer Tales of The Inexpressible.

Sepstrup
February 13th 2007

I need to listen to some Shpongle...

AlienEater
February 13th 2007

I'm vaguely interested in this band

February 13th 2007

[Quote=Iai]Other Music mailing list ftw, amirite?[/Quote]

While I have gotten a lot of music from there but one of my friends got me into shpongle a while back

Shattered_Future
February 13th 2007

Good review, but I think Tales Of The Inexpressible is better. That one has more awesome arrangements.

February 15th 2007

updated review

Iai
February 15th 2007

I was only making that comment because somebody asked for this album to be reviewed in the most recent list.

ah, i see
nevermind then :P

Nadinus
March 20th 2008

I haven't heard their newer stuff but I think shpongle succeed marvelously in what they are trying to do. A tad boring at times but it's not supposed to be listened intently to.

Psilocyanide
May 18th 2010

First introduction to Shpongle was on LSD. I fell in love instantly.

EnCrypt.