AC/DC
Who Made Who

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
January 27th, 2007 | 5 replies | 3,661 views

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I can't stop laughing at the album cover.

When one says the name Stephen King, many people think of books. One might think of movies. Perhaps horror. Not many people would just automatically start thinking of AC/DC in a conversation about Stephen King. A diehard AC/DC fan might, but other than that, not many other people would. What does that have to do with this review? Well, this album is a soundtrack to the King movie, Maximum Overdrive. Only three original songs were made for this, and the rest are just songs that, well, aren't original.

The title track, Who Made Who, is a short song and it's very simple. The riffs kick in, followed by Brian's vocals. Everything is simple, and then a Thunderstruck riff kicks in at some part. One of the problems with this song is that the lyrics are just plain retarded. Retarded isn't a word I use too often in a review, but seriously, this is dumb. What are they singing about? Maybe if I watched Maximum Overdrive, I'd know. But the last time it was shown in my area was sometime last year on a Spanish channel. Anyway, this is a pretty good song, but the fact that the lyrics are stupid and the simplicity of the song kind of just make this an ordinary track. The music video is stupid too. Go watch it, and laugh about it.

You Shook Me All Night Long is an AC/DC classic. Coming off of Back In Black, this song is great. Sorry, but this song is great. I'm serious. Like the previous, it's very simple, but the lyrics aren't as stupid as that. "Who made who". Ha, that's hilarious. But this is an actual hard rock song. The opening riff carries on for about a second, and then comes the main riff. The solo is great, but it's only about 27 seconds. This song is one of the best on here. D.T. is a decent instrumental, but it's not that great. It's better than Chase the Ace though. Both of the instrumentals pretty much stay the same through the whole song, with simple riffs and Angus doing what he does.

Sink The Pink is a good hard rocker. I really enjoy this song. Again, there are simple riffs, and it's just good hard rock. The solo is very energetic, like most AC/DC solos. The lyrics are dumb though, just like with Who Made Who. Tell me Brian, what does "sink the pink" mean? I have a good guess, but I won't say. Ride On, coming from Dirty Deeds, is the only Bon track on the album. It's a nice and slow song about a lonely drunk dude or something along the lines of that. One of the most underrated Bon songs. The riffs and the solo are pretty good. Hells Bells begins next, and this is another classic, coming straight outta BIB, Back In Black in case you don't know. It begins with the famous church bells ringing, and then the opening riff kicks in, and up next the vocals. These lyrics are actually pretty good, and this song isn't just fast and simple hard rock. It's kind of creative I suppose. The solos, the riffs, everything is good about this song. Shake Your Foundations is very similar to Sink the Pink. Fast and simple hard rock with stupid lyrics. But hey, the fact that it's fast and simple hard rock makes me like it. However, it's just so similar to Sink the Pink. Starts with the same letter(S), same amount of words in title(3), and the riffs and chorus are kind of like it. They're not identical, but they sound similar.

Since I already covered the two instrumentals, I'll talk about the final track on the album, which is a classic, and the perfect way to end this album: For Those About To Rock, We Salute You. This is a classic. The riffs differ in the bridges and in other parts of the song, and the lyrics are very good. They aren't ruhtowrtid(retarded) like some of the songs on the album. The solo is great, and the chorus contains some of the most well-recognized lyrics in rock.

Overall, this album is pretty good. If you're just getting in to AC/DC, try picking this one up because it's sort of like a compilation. If this were a studio album with all of these songs on it for the first time, I would probably give it a 4 or maybe even a 4.5. Sadly, I can't, and that's because of these reasons:

- Not enough Bon
- Stupid lyrics mostly
- Too short
- Could have been better with the addition of other songs

Here's what's good about it:

+ Good hard rock
+ Who Made Who is hilarious
+ You gotta love the album cover. It's stupid, but that's what's good about it.

So, this gets: