Boris
Absolutego

by Anthony Hoch USER (16 Reviews)
January 19th, 2007 | 54 replies | 12,285 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Its like a soundtrack of two snails fucking" - Dylan Carlson

To be honest I didn’t care much for Absolutego the first time I listened to it, or the second, or the third… But there was something very intriguing about it that made me come back again and again. There is something very magnetic about this album.

This epic starts of with Takashi turning on his amp to a wall of feedback and hitting one note, I believe it’s a c#. But then nothing happens. He just holds that note, he holds it like he just found the golden ticket, and he holds it, and wrangles it for the next three and a half minutes until finally it is over come with feedback and you cant even remember what it sounded like in the beginning. Eventually the fury drops out and he plays the songs main theme, a grindingly slow ascending riff. This keeps building and building, drawing you in getting bigger and bigger.

As the song builds up and Wata lays on her echoing feedback, you can faintly hear Atsuo growling in the background, its all very sinister sounding. Everything keeps intensifying until about 20 minutes into the song you hear the drums kick in, with a few cymbal shimmers and some tom pounding. Finally after the almost half hour of build up Atsuo attacks his drums and things begin with a furious pick-slide.

It sounds like they uncorked a bottle of pure evil. Things finally kick in and I realized all of the buildup was necessary; it was as if they were summoning a monster through this lumbering drone. This beast of a song ebbs and flows back and forward building with intensity as Atsuo lets out blood curdling screams over waves of sound, until the levees break and the band goes into the most strait forward part of the song, a chugging riff that sounds like they are leading you on a march toward your impending doom.

After the death march a multi tracked guitar solo comes in to change the mood a bit. As the solo rages on the bass goes into the original riff of the song and Wata’s playing slowly degenerates into a cacophony of feedback, things have come full circle, and with violent guitar spasms and pounding drums the hideous beast known as Absolutego starts to recede back to were it came from, and things wrap up with pulsing layers of feedback.

Though I really want to recommend this album to everyone, I can’t. I do have a few gripes with it. The all-around recording quality is sub-par and can be really hard to listen to at first, especially the drums. The drums sound like they were recorded inside a tin can. Also unless you have the full hour and five or so minutes, don’t even bother putting this on, listening to any part of this out of context is just confusing and disappointing, believe me I have tried. There is a second track on here called Dronevil 2 , it has nothing to do with their other album of the same moniker, its more of an exercise in the art of bass feedback, its good for a listen but really nothing more.

In conclusion I highly recommend Absolutego. It is one of the finest drone records I have ever heard. It may takes a few listens to really dig into. But be warned it is defiantly not a record to just throw on when people are around, unless you really want to clear the room.

Boredoms Super Roots 5Eagles Of Death Metal Death By Sexy
Boris PinkBoris Akuma No Uta
Boris Mabuta No UraQueens of the Stone Age Stone Age Complications
noisymugwump (4)
A true monument to filth and perhaps my favourite drone doom album. Let me tell ya, it hurts....

January 19th 2007

This is my first review in a really long time, and I kinda picked a hard album to do. but if you liked the review click yes please. Any thoughts on how to improve it will be taken into consideration.

ValiumMan
January 19th 2007

This ain't my favorite Boris album for sure, but it's not bad either. I prefer Amplifier Worship, which sounds similar, but more structured and repetition-based. But I didn't like Earth 2 or Sunn O)))'s earlier albums much either, and I guess that's a prerequisite for really digging this album.

Your review was good. Focused and descriptive.

Thanks,

this album was already in the database and I made a new entry for it, im wondering can a mod move it over to the entry thats already here ?

Kage
January 19th 2007

Really great review; I think you covered the album extremely well--not any easy thing to do by any means !

Also I just put this on. It's sweet.

AlienEater
January 19th 2007

I haven't listened this album in a while but I didn't really like it before.

Cool review. It's nice to see you around.

oh and this was already in the databaseThis Message Edited On 01.19.07

February 7th 2007

Yeah I know it was already on the site.... I put it there i think

I don't know anyway of getting rid of the other one.

thanks for the compliments, and its good to be back.

Helvete
June 27th 2010

lol @ the latest sound-off for this

Dryden

robertsona

so this is awesome

FadeToBlack
September 8th 2010

yep but its boris so no suprise

robertsona
September 8th 2010

aw damn why does the last part have to be so repetitive (at least where im at, 9 minutes left)

FadeToBlack
September 9th 2010

its not that bad compared to Flood. ugh that 14 minute intro

Royd Rage
July 19th 2011

i have no idea how to rate this...

LOL

AngelofDeath
July 19th 2011

5/5

cb123
December 19th 2011

1991 Comments

weirdest enthralling hour of music if listened to and i dare say will be a few more hours to come down the track, love how the track just evolves into a beast

VlacDrac
January 17th 2012

The title track is hard to get used to, altough, I found the bonus track (dronevil 2) quite accesible.

VlacDrac
January 21st 2012

First rule of Boris is: You do not start with Absolutego.
Second rule is: You do not start with Absolutego.

eternium