Foo Fighters
One by One

by Magnus Strinnholm USER (17 Reviews)
January 14th, 2007 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With Chris Shifflet joining the Foo's comes some great guitar work and talent, but filling up a whole album with distoration and heavy riffs doesn't really work for me.

One By One by Foo Fighters

When this CD came out I was totally into the pop-punk rock circle, circling from Green Day to grunge favourites Nirvana. For me, this was the CD that defined rock music for me. I was really into Nirvana for quite some time, but the heaviness and the depressing sound was taking its toll on me. I needed something more easily chewed but without the music losing its intensity. Then suddenly this bad boy struck down from clear skies. One By One was the anticipated follow-up to what would become my personal favourite Foo album, There Is Nothing Left To Lose. Right from the start this album sets the tone. “All My Life” is a splendid and complete rock song, similarities to “Stacked Actors” may be many but the later one mentioned had a more alternative touch according to me. “All My Life” works really well as an album opener, it’s fast and furious and Dave Grohl gets to use to put his grunge-growling vocals to good use. Its mixture between slower muted parts with explosive hard rock greatness is a great recipe.

Other songs don’t work all too well though. “Low” weights in as the weakest link in the chain. Mostly because of the weak and extremely repetive chorus with uninspired backup vocals. “Have It All” is a nice change of scenery, relying almost entirely on Chris Shifletts well played guitar hooks as well as some neat vocals by Dave. Most known single “Times Like These” may not be nothing out of the ordinary; it’s a simple but yet effective rock tune. Like most of the lyrics up to this point, the ones on “Times Like These” seems like some kind of meaningless drivel but at least they sound good. Once again, this song gets its greatness from amazing guitar work.

"Disenchanted Lullaby" is the first real slow track on the album. Picking guitars, whispering vocals and back to the rock at the chorus. Once again, the lyrics’ feels pointless, especially when they once again are outshone by the guitar work. “Tired Of You” is a tuned down, muted story. Some might be dissing this song claiming it to not have enough content but for the first time on the record Grohl’s song writing shows his usually great standard. It’s a great mellow song. Following is another great song, “Halo”. Although very much more upbeat then the previous one it still has a softer undertone. The lack of distortion and great vocals where once again Dave gets to show off his song writing is an excellent move. Verses are probably the greatest parts of the album, while the chorus falls back a little into the usual rock-stylish way they have used on almost all songs up to this point.

“Lonely As You” also starts of softer than most of the songs on “One By One”. Still, the sound can be recognized quite fast again. What hits me the most when listening to this song is the overproducing. Dave’s voice sound way too produced during the verses, the echo effects and overall sound of the song is a bit to average. Luckily, “Overdrive” follows. Even though it uses a lot of sound effects the song itself is really good. The guitar-effects sound cool as well as Dave’s voice. It’s nothing really fancy, but its better then most of the average rock songs on this album. “Burn Away” got a dirty rock sound, unlike most of the songs on the CD which usually uses a clean sound. Sadly it doesn’t make this song very good. Overall it’s one of the weakest Foo songs ever made, it only got one good point and that’s the ending part of the chorus. Last but not least is “Come Back”, a 7:49 minutes long rock song. The guitars have a more produced sound here but the dirty sound from the previous track is still preserved. Verses are very weak and even though the chorus is very repetive with Dave screaming “I will come back” a bunch of times it's still quite appealing. After about half the song it switches into an instrumental acoustic part which is one of the greatest parts of the album. It turns up again into the rocky chorus and then fades, concluding the album.

While I was very fond of this album from the start their other releases clearly leave “One By One” behind them in a cloud of dust. The songs are mostly generic, alike sounding and overproduced. It’s like “Colour And The Shape” but without the emotional touch and mind blowing melodic sound. Most of it drowns in screams or distortion. While I still consider Dave Grohl to be one of my favourite lyricists (and vocalist for that matter) “One By One” is a huge leap back from his usual standards. On the other hand, it contains some really neat rock tunes like “All My Life”, “Times Like These”, “Halo” and “Overdrive”.

Whiskeytown Stranger's AlmanacThe Killers Hot Fuss
Kent Du & Jag DodenGoo Goo Dolls Gutterflower
Keane Hopes & FearsKeane Under The Iron Sea
3.2
good

January 14th 2007

What a sign, just as I finished this review I turned on MTV and they show "Top 10 Foo Fighters" This Message Edited On 01.14.07

Kaleid
January 14th 2007

Good review of a rather over-hyped album/group. 'Halo' is the only one worth much here. The harder, more in-your-face tracks just don't seem to go anywhere

grungeguy88
January 14th 2007

Great job. Yeah I love Times Like These and Lonely As You, but most the rest sounds more and more subpar each time I listen to it. I think Dave even said that he only likes like 4 songs on this album. Least favorite Foo album.

RS085
January 14th 2007

One by One won a Grammy Award for Best Rock Album in 2004. The album gave Foo Fighters their first UK #1 album and a # 3 peak in the US. As of June 2005, One By One has sold 1.2 million units in the United States. However, lead singer Dave Grohl has stated that it is his least favorite album: "Four of the songs were good, and the other seven I never played again in my life. We rushed into it, and we rushed out of it."

I know All My Life and Times Like These are two of them, I wonder what the other two are.

Oddsen
January 15th 2007

pretty good review. I pretty much agree with it although i like low. This is defenitely the foo's orse album

RandyfromPennywise
January 15th 2007

I thought you did an excellent job of describing the songs and their feeling.

By the by, some of your vocab and grammar could use some work, but other than that it's a good review - good length of paragraphs and the review overall.

January 15th 2007

Glad you liked it. Well my English is a little rusty, haven't studied it in over a year and it's not my native language so this is the only place at the moment I get to use it

What needs to be fixed?

Kaleid
January 15th 2007

Not a lot - it was very descriptive and your English is better than some who know it as their first language.
Maybe you could describe the overall feel and atmosphere of the album? What mood does it put you in, does it change course, what kind of person would it appeal to etc.

January 15th 2007

Well thanks for that mate.

Well, as for the mood it doesn't put me in any sort of mood just because of the (mostly) bland lyrics... But I guess some of the songs can make me feel quite good, sort of like a "kick ass" kind of feeling, just because of the rockiness.

RandyfromPennywise
January 15th 2007

Yeah, I didn't want to ask if English wasn't your first language, because if it was, that sounds kind of rude, but considering it's not your first language, it's an excellent job, really, a lot of "English speakers" are at a level below you in terms of grammar and expression.

It's nothing major, I'm just an arse when it comes to grammar and spelling and that. Things like "outshined" should be "outshone", and some of your sentences would fit better as part of the previous one, but really it's nothing to worry about, you did a great job.

January 15th 2007

Thanks for the feedback, I have corrected that obvious fault