Nonpoint
Statement

by Jom STAFF
December 21st, 2006 | 19 replies | 8,338 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Great nu-metal effort that coalesces rock and hip-hop pretty well, although Nonpoint won't win any awards for innovation, as the music is limited and derivative by nature.

Nonpoint are an oftentimes unacknowledged hard rock/nu-metal quartet from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The band began to take stride in the late 1990s, a time when Florida's alternative metal scene was booming with bands that included Endo and Darwin's Waiting Room (Miami), Cold (Jacksonville), and Puya (San Juan, Puerto Rico). Prior to Statement, which marks the band's first major-label effort on what is now known as Geffen records, Nonpoint released two albums independently - Separate Yourself and Struggle - the latter album containing songs found on Statement, albeit reworked to a degree.

To best describe Nonpoint's sound on Statement, particularly to a new listener, it is helpful to draw comparisons to similar artists, while still describing the band's individual sound. Statement sees a merging of rock with hip-hop - not an entirely new concept in music, as evidenced by Anthrax, the Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and other similar artists spearheading this movement in the decade before. However, this nu-metal era began to take precedence at the turn of the millennium, with bands such as (hed) p.e. and Sevendust being the most popular artists playing this fusion of heavier-hitting rock with evident hip-hop influences. In the case of Statement, this combination creates an incredibly infectious listen at times, although the album lulls in a couple spots due to its limited, derivative nature. Even still, while Nonpoint will not win any accolades of innovation for Statement, it is definitely an album worth hearing.

The two singles from Statement, entitled What a Day and Endure, are two excellent representative Nonpoint tracks. The former track features a hip-hop vocal style from frontman Elias Soriano - he sings the lyrics with a higher register, but in a swift, storytelling-like vibe. The clean and distorted guitar alternates throughout, with the pre-chorus and chorus growing significantly more edgy and eventually erupting into a distorted wall of guitars and percussion. Endure drops the hip-hop for a more rock-oriented track, and the end result yields one of the best songs on Statement. Its distorted guitar intro, which eventually gives way to a steady pounding from Robb Rivera on his drumkit, is one of the best intros on the album, and the explosive chorus of "Put down the books, put up the walls - I'm never givin' up at all! what's yours is yours, what's mine is yours and I'll mature - endure!" being the biggest highlight heard on the track. The main riff heard in the chorus is not terribly ingenious, but it is nevertheless a satisfyingly crunching riff that complements Soriano's vocals extremely well. Two non-single Statement tracks that are great listens include Years, which is unmistakably catchy and arguably features Soriano's best vocal performance, and the fan-favorite Mindtrip, whose opening half-minute is one of the most chaotic moments found on the album.

There are two dark horse tracks on Statement that should be addressed as well. The first is Orgullo, which, in Spanish, is translated to "Pride." South Florida has a booming Latino community, but both Soriano and Rivera are of Puerto Rican heritage and proudly share their heritage in the track: "Orgullo! Con orgullo yo naci, con orgullo voy a morir [Pride! With pride I was born, with pride I will die]," explains through heavy power chord-driven riffs from guitarist Andy Goldman, and Soriano's guttural screams and shouts of how he "feel[s] honest and happy to be Puerto Rican [sic]" and has committed himself "to his mother country [sic]" showcase their dignity and pride in their heritage. Orgullo could best be compared to Ill Nino - another alternative metal act that is not bashful about sharing its heritage with its fans, but Nonpoint's Spanish-laden track can stand on its own. The other wildcard track is Tribute, which features Soriano and Grimm of now-defunct Darwin's Waiting Room fame plowing their way through three covers - Slick Rick's "Children's Story," Busta Rhymes' "Woo-Hah," and Wu-Tang Clan's "Method Man" - in just under 4:30. Both Soriano and Grimm obviously take centerstage on the track with their furious shouting and screaming, but the instrumental backdrop provided by Goldman, Rivera, and bassist "KB" Charman helps drive and stabilize the sonic fury that the two MCs provide. Again, coalescing rock and rap is not a groundbreaking movement in the music industry, but Tribute's in-your-face, aggressive nature is surprisingly well-executed. However, there are a few spots on the album where Nonpoint falter; for example, Hive sounds like a poor nu-metal track masquerading as a thrash number, Levels sounds like a run-of-the-mill, going-through-the-motions, the-band-was-running-out-of-steam track, and Misled sounds as if it was casually tossed in the middle of the album for no particular reason, as it does not stand out in any fashion.

Ultimately, Statement is a surprising listen and a great major label debut for Nonpoint. Listeners who like Sevendust, Puya, Ill Nino, and even Rage Against the Machine would definitely be encouraged to give this album a listen with its rock and hip-hop fusion. Again, the instrumentation is hardly innovative, but Goldman's clean and distorted guitar riffs and arpeggios as well as Rivera's fantastic percussion provide a solid foundation to frontman Elias Soriano's sung and shouted vocals. The album's riffs, while rudimentary at times, also exhibit the potential to be incredibly catchy and headbang-worthy. The unrelenting Endure, the Spanish-based Orgullo, the hip-hop trifecta cover that comprises Tribute, and the persistent Years are Statement's best songs, and the album opener, Mindtrip, kicks off the album in a blazing, feverish tempo. While not exactly the most original album, Statement is an under-rated, oftentimes unacknowledged album that provides plenty of hooks - both instrumentally and vocally - to keep nu-metal and alternative metal fans happy.

B

More Than Life What's Left Of MeSonata Arctica Pariah's Child
Hagana One YearSunn O))) and Ulver Terrestrials
Jimmy Eat World DamageThe Red Paintings The Revolution is Never Coming
YesImThatGuy (3.5)
A good effort from Nonpoint....

breakinginflames (4)

Kaleid
December 22nd 2006

Good review. 'Endure' and 'Years' are good, (especially 'Years') but 'Tribute is a bit too quirky for me.

renegadestrings
December 22nd 2006

great review... i agree with Tribute being a wildcard. when i first bought the album, i never got into the song. but after repeated (and i mean, after a hundred repeats) the song latches and doesn't let go.

i don't agree, however, with the opinions on "Years." i felt that this track, out of all of the songs, was the one that seemed rushed. it has a simple chorus and the guitar plays virtually the same notes throughout the song's entirety

JumpTheF**kUp
December 22nd 2006

Sick review, the only non-point song I've heard is Bullet with a Name and it didn't tickle my fancy.

Wizard
December 22nd 2006

Hive is such a fantastic song! Good review. You nailed how I feel about this album too, except Ive grown up out of this type of metal and thats why my rating doesnt quite match yours. They were still good live when I saw them about 5 years ago.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

CushMG15
February 5th 2007

This is their best cd, hands down. Great Review, but I would've mentioned Double Stakked as it shows a slightly different, almost progressive element to the band. Goldman is definitely one of the better Nu-metal guitarists.

January 29th 2008

Great band, pretty good album.

gasmaskman
January 29th 2008

I've only heard Mindtrip by these guys (I've seen them live but I hardly remember it lol), and I love that song...

MonorailCat
June 26th 2008

I'd say a solid release by these guys.

ianjulian
July 2nd 2009

reminds me a lot to hear this album

Emim
June 1st 2010

Sooooo, good.

Maniac!
February 28th 2012

love the nu metal method man remake

rockandmetaljunkie
February 28th 2012

One of the first metal albums i listen to. The first 5 songs are the only ones i can barely listen to right now.

random
May 24th 2012

"What A Day" rules.

xxm
December 8th 2012

@rockandmetaljunkie you are right but i still get pleasure form this music so

xxm
December 9th 2012

sorry for the spelling mistake yet again.

Luminara
January 22nd 2013

Nonpoint really shined on this album. Can't say so much on their later releases, though.

joseph99
March 24th 2013

"Misled" and "What a Day" are catchy as hell

redechelon
January 5th 2014

"Doublestakked" and "What a Day" are the best tracks IMO. The first time I heard these guys was when I picked up a demo CD at a skate shop when I was a kid... I thought "Tribute" was the coolest shit ever.

Luminara
January 7th 2014

Mindtrip was the shit, if only the entire album was as heavy as that.