Nokturnal Mortum
Goat Horns

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
December 17th, 2006 | 99 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Two keyboards, intricate and epic compositions and all around good music make Goat Horns an essential listen.

Nokturnal Mortum really suprises me. It's not the fact they have two keyboardists, their NS ideals or the silly purple cover. Nokturnal Mortum surprises me because they've found a balance between innovation and black metal clich├ęs. And they do all of this without seeming like a total novelty.

If you hadn't guessed by the mention of dual keyboard action, Nokturnal Mortum plays the often scrutinized brand of Symphonic Black Metal, but Dimmu Borgir this is not. Their unique approach is more than a novelty; one keyboardist typically lays the more sustained parts, giving the album an atmospheric feel, while atop the atmosphere sits the flashier keyboard work, which relies on symphonic leads. The dynamic use of keyboards adds a layer of depth and a sense of intricacy, as well as a nice thin layer of cheese.

After a Summoning-like overture, Kuyaviya introduces the listener instantly to what NM will be providing for the rest of the album. A surprisingly non-descript guitar raises a common debate in the black metal world: production. The production on Goat Horns is not really that bad, it's more the levels of the instruments that cause problems. While you can hear everything, the keyboards and drums are a little overpowering, though for some that's not necessarily a bad thing. The oddly quiet guitars are buried in the mix, and sonically find themselves somewhere between crunchy and thin, which to me is perfection, and unlike the more or less awful bass work, provide interesting riffs and progressions, often carried by the flashier of the two keyboardists. The drums are typically mid-paced, but shine with striking and intricate fills, though sound wise it does sound a little like they're programmed, but I assure you, it's Munruthel playing everything you hear. Levelling issues aside, the album is strong production wise, finding a balance between clear and raw.

Epic is the only way to describe Goat Horns; excluding the intro and outro, every song on the album falls somewhere between 7-12 minutes. The band has received some flack for being loosely affiliated with the National Socialist Black Metal scene, though unlike many bands with similar ties NM never seem to use it as their main attraction, at least not on this album. In fact, if I hadn't mentioned their NSBM ties, one could easily listen to this album without realizing they're existence. In short, Goat Horns is an album as powerful as it is epic, as violent as it is melodic, and it contains each of the former in massive quantities. Nokturnal Mortum delivers a healthy blend of folk (Kolyada), symphonics (Black Moon Overture and Eternal Circle), raspy vocals and outstanding instrumentation (other than the atrocious bass work) that's neither overtly flashy or pathetically primitive. And with a healthy dose of second-wave inspired black metal to boot, the contrast of beauty and ferocity is in full effect on this album. From the unexpected clean vocals on Kolyada to the complex pizzicato lead on Veles' Scrolls, Goat Horns brings interesting twists to an otherwise standardized genre. A must own for fans of Black Metal, Folk Metal and the like.

Cons:
Bass (Atrocious)
Guitars (Buried)

Pros:
Everything Else

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science
Kyle Ward STAFF (5)

December 17th 2006

It's a lot shorter than I thought it was...

Neoteric
December 17th 2006

It's still not a short review.

December 17th 2006

I think I summarized it plenty though. Any feedback? I'm new to the whole "concise" thing.

MrKite
December 17th 2006

I thought it was pretty short. I liked it, though because it was quick and all that junk.

Apocalypticon
December 17th 2006

I would have liked it alittle bit longer, but other than that it is a good review. This is my favouriet NM album after Lunar Poetry.

December 17th 2006

Well I couldn't think of anything to add, I wanted it to be a concise overview rather than an in-depth description of everything.

I'll gladly lengthen it, just tell me what I should add.This Message Edited On 12.17.06

Shadows
December 17th 2006

I thought this was a great review. The only Nokturnal Mortum albums I have experience with are NeChrist and The Gates of Blasphemous Fire. They weren't bad but didn't catch my interest like other Ukrainian folk black metal does. However, the concept of two keyboard makes me want to investigate this.

December 17th 2006

You really should, this album impressed me instantly upon first listen.

Txus
December 18th 2006

Sweet review as always, Tyler. I love this album even if people say LP is their best I disagree, I think this is their best album. It's so rich musically speaking.

December 19th 2006

I prefer this to LP, definitely.

June 19th 2007

This is a great album.

I want this, now.

The two keyboard concept sounds great. I'll keep an eye out for this next time im at the CD store.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

July 2nd 2007

Well apparently this CD seems hard to find... Amazon.com says its "currently unavailable". I hope I find this somewhere, if not what other albums by these guys are as good as this one?

July 2nd 2007

Weltanschauung, To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire, and Return Of The Vampire Lord Ep are all good releases of theirs.

July 2nd 2007

Lunar Poetry is the most like this, it also has the Return of the Vampire Lord track.
Weltanschauung is not like this at all, really. It's a lot more folky, and a lot less synthesized. It's a lot longer, too, and definitely more diverse. To the Gates of the Blasphemous Fire is more fast-paced and sort of like Emperor, but better.

July 2nd 2007

He just asked what else to check out by them, you don't have to upstage me.

July 2nd 2007

I wasn't trying to upstage you, I was just saying what the albums were, because Lunar Poetry and the EP are the only ones stylistically similar to this.

July 2nd 2007

You make me cry. You've broken my heart.

Actually, Lunar Poetry is good too, I just havn't heard it in a long time.

jrowa001
July 2nd 2007

this album is pretty cool. havent listened to it in a long time though

July 2nd 2007

Alright I'll keep an eye out for lunar poetry if I can't find this.