Glassjaw
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
December 17th, 2006 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

I’m not quite sure what Daryl Palumbo’s girlfriend did, but that motherfucker is pissed. I mean, it’s evident that she’s cheated on him, but that can’t be the only thing that’s irking him. It’s probably that he’s just highly emotional, or he’s playing it for the record. But if he is acting, he’s doing a damn good job of selling it, and making me worry for any girl who may become involved with him.

The lyrics on Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence mainly consist of Palumbo telling us how he plans on killing his girlfriend. Sometimes they tell us what exactly it is she did to instill so much rage into him. Such as on, easily, the angriest song of the album, “Lovebites and Razorlines” where Palumbo screams:

“You ***ing whore/Shut up and swallow my pride for me/Move closer and drive further/Suck on the end of this dick that cums lead/But first I’m coming after you all”

Palumbo also has some great one-liners here and there. In the opening song “Pretty Lush” he offers some good tidings to everyone for the upcoming holiday season by proclaiming “I wish you a broken heart/And I happy new year”. However, Palumbo is no shallow figure, only singing about his own broken heart. He often finds times to be quite profound, and even call out the big man upstairs. In the title track, he sings about poverty and asks the world “Children shiver in the river/Where is our god now?/Does he watch over all in El Segundo?”.

Palumbo’s lyrical content is perfectly matched by the band’s instrumentation, and it also fits the name of the band perfectly as well. Personally, when I first heard the name “Glassjaw” I immediately thought of a clear glass jar hitting the ground in slow motion and the chaos that caused this occurrence.

The bass and guitar are usually in drop D tuning, for the fast-paced angrier songs. The guitar riffs can be fast and heavy though for a few songs, they’re slow and tender, though nothing really stands out on it’s own as different from the other songs. The bass riffs are usually very good, and at multiple times a little of what sounds like a slap technique is used that sounds exactly like glass hitting the ground. One great example is in the bridge of “Piano” where the music stops, and then just the bass can be heard, until the guitar comes together, and they combine to create the instrumental highlight of the album, because in the end, the band truly is Palumbo’s vocals, and the rest of the band is just there to complement him.

Speaking of Palumbo’s vocals, he is without a doubt in my mind, the best vocalist in post-hardcore. He’s got a wide range from shouting at the top of his lungs to a tender and heartbreaking vocal performance on the album’s bonus track, and he can switch between these at the drop of a hat. Every yell he belts out is so full of anger, insecurity, and so much more, it’s amazing and hard to describe.

One of the most beautiful moments of the album is at the climax of the title track, where Palumbo starts screaming unintelligibly and then after a few seconds screams “This is what it’s like to be alone/This is what it’s like to be alone” with so much intensity and emotion once it me, I was paralyzed. And after this scream, a little bit of soft sobbing can be heard and it’s hard to feel anything other than amazement at what he’s able to do with his voice.

It may have taken a few listens to really get into this album, but after finally understanding all that goes into Palumbo’s vocals and lyrics, it has become a favorite album of mine. The guitar and bass may have some nice riffs, and the drums may have a few good beats here and there, but in the end Glassjaw is all about Daryl Palumbo, and Daryl Palumbo is Glassjaw.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe
  • yidnarc (2)
    Have you ever been a dumped sixteen year-old kid? Did you make an album? Well you aren't G...

Joe Denby (5)
    When consumed by emotion....

xNYx1992 (5)
    A post-hardcore masterpiece from a Long Island, NY based band....

Kashmir09 (5)
    Glassjaw creates one of the most obscure, yet essential post-hardcore albums of all time....

• Lee Carlson (3.5)
    Glassjaw's "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence," is a great debut album and ...

hybridofsound (4.5)

godLike
December 17th 2006

Good work, maybe you highlighted Palumbo too much, but you did a great job with the lyrics. Very interesting for me, because I'm german so I don't understand the most parts.

/votes

TheMisterBungle
December 17th 2006

I just got this CD recently and I agree with just about everything you said. :thumb:

December 17th 2006

Ah yes. Good review. Haven't heard this one yet but W&T is amazing.

the best vocalist in post-hardcore

Dustin Kensrue maaaaaaaaan.

Neoteric

Cool.

[quote=chan]Dustin Kensrue maaaaaaaaan.[/quote]

Nah dude. Daryl Palumbo by freakin' milesssssss.

Iluvatar
December 17th 2006

If Billy Werner doesnt count at this point with Hot Cross, then Palumbo pretty much doesnt even have a challenger.

iarescientists

Yessssssssssss. Dfelon agrees with me

Intransit
December 17th 2006

good review, I like this album.

December 17th 2006

Hey, iluvavatars, you could probably count Chino at this point, considering SNW and the fact that nu-metal seems a horribly insufficient label for Deftones. In that case it's a toss-up. Probably Chino for being more prolific in his equal amazingness.

Iluvatar
December 17th 2006

Yeah, but I don't quite think you can lump Deftones into "post hardcore" even by the stretch Glassjaw is, although I agree nu metal isnt close to categorizing them correctly. I still like Palumbo more than Chino, if only for the "pffts" in "Lovebites & Razorlines."

December 17th 2006

If only for the harrowing screaming that ends "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence" and the "woooooo" in "Piano."

cbmartinez
December 17th 2006

I don't know, Palumbo has his trademark delivery but sometimes I think it sounds out of place with Glassjaw's music. He gets too goofy sometimes.

December 17th 2006

I never have a problem with it. I used to get frustrated with "Cavalcade.." but now I'm used to it.

cbmartinez
December 17th 2006

Yeah, I'd say like 85% of the time I love it like when he just like breaks out into one of those bouts of manic laughter in the middle of like a word. But sometimes it can be really out of place. Same with the way he sometimes like slurs and dips on alot of his words.

December 17th 2006

Ya. I just love all of it. I don't know why. It's good for those slower songs where his voice is breathier and somehow more intimate.

StrizzMatik
December 18th 2006

Hugely influential album and rocks all the way through... Worship & Tribute is a far better album songwriting/musically, but this is still essential listening. As for vocalist, I would agree if Daryl didn't cop at least 50% of his vocal techniques from Mike Patton and Perry Farrell, but he's still awesome. 4.5/5

lunchforthesky
December 19th 2006

Glassjaw's best album and the best post hardcore album ever imo. Good review but you maybe should have described the sound of Glassjaw a little more and the merits of each or most of the songs.

Ry Rys song is my fav but there all outstanding.

TheMisterBungle
February 6th 2007

This might become a classic for me. I love it.

IsItLuck?
May 11th 2007

this album srsly slays everything and everyone.

iarescientists