Immortal
Blizzard beasts

by mortalsoullefttodie USER (8 Reviews)
December 15th, 2006 | 36 replies | 12,526 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: On Immortals last album with Demonaz on guitar, and the first with Horgh on drums the trio make sure Blizzarrd beasts is one of their best works.

Immortal has always been in the vanguard of black metal, even after Demonaz had to give up guitar. Blizzard Beasts marks a huge evolution in their sound. The songs have a much more progressive structure, and a better produced, but still cold and evil sound. The line up could not have been any better, Demonaz was definitely at his best on this recording, Horgh is a huge step up from having Abbath on drums, and while his bass is not very evident Abbath's vocals are mixed into the album to make them sound like he is screaming in a Norwegian blizzard. All these elements collide to create one truly evil black metal album.

The biggest change is the guitar work. Demonaz shows off allot more with guitar solos, and more technical riffs. His tremolo picking gets faster with every album, and he shows much stronger musicianship on this release. This evolution is most noticeable on Nebular Ravens Winter, and Battlefields. Both of these songs have the strongest guitar-work, and the solo's are a welcome addition to the Immortal sound.

The drumming has also evolved tremendously. Now that there is a member who focuses primarily on drums the drumming is much more rhythmically, and technically diverse. Of-course There are blast beasts on this album, but Horgh also utilizes syncopation, and complex rhythms allot more than Abbath. This diverse, and technical drum work makes immortal sound much more progressive, and unique than the other black metal giants.

If you enjoyed the vocals on every other Immortal album then you will not be disappointed on this one. Abbath's vocals have stayed the same throughout Immortal's career. And of-course the lyrics for songs like Nebular Ravens Winter, and Frostdemonstorm are about their fantasy world of Blashyrkh.

Blizzard Beasts was a huge experiment with the black metal sound. Even though it went against the main elements of the genre, such as satanism, poor production, repetition, simple guitar work, and simple rhythms, it is still an excellent example of black metal. Immortal proved that a black metal band can be technical, and show off from time to time, and still be evil.

Pro's
+excellent guitar work
+better production allows you to hear instruments more clearly
+Amazing drums
+No song sounds the same
+More technical, and progressive songs

Con's
-vocals have not changed at all
-hard to find outside of Scandinavia
-last album with demonaz on guitar

Sacramentum Far Away from the SunDeath Individual Thought Patterns
Flotsam and Jetsam Doomsday for the DeceiverSkyfire Timeless Departure
Skyfire Mind RevolutionSoilwork Steelbath Suicide
3.3
onlyhuman (2)
Immortal Discography Review Chapter IV-Demonaz's final album shows to be a huge step down in overall...

Thor
December 15th 2006

Black metal with technical and progressive song structures? Sounds like something that I'd enjoy.

Pretty good review too.

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

Tyler
December 15th 2006

Abbath was such a bad drummer, getting Horgh was certainly smart.

mortalsoullefttodie
December 17th 2006

you should check it out, it is my favorite immortal album

kuririn
March 1st 2007

I downloaded the title song.

It is absolute shit. Honestly, what appeal does this band have? The singer sounds like a goblin.

rattlehead42147
May 29th 2007

i hightly doubt that this can touch pure holocaust

rattlehead42147
August 10th 2007

a 5? this album pretty much blows, i honestly think this is the worst immortal ive heard.

Cravinov13
August 10th 2007

These guys make me ashamed of most black metal.

rasputin
November 7th 2007

I don't like Immortal at all. Damned in Black hasn't been reviewed and I have the album, and I was going to review it but I'm not anymore because I really don't want to listen to the album again.
This is definetly not a 5.This Message Edited On 11.07.07

FR33L0RD
March 5th 2008

This album is pretty average when compare to the classic "Pure Holocaust 5/5", the almighty "Sons of Northern Darkness 5/5" & their masterpiece "At the Heart of Winter 5/5"

July 30th 2008

I cant get into this album as much as I'm into all the other Immortal albums. This album is just mediocre compared to the rest of them.

iamthenightmare
July 30th 2008

This album is no sons of northern darkness

July 30th 2008

Or anything else by Immortal.

Bleak
April 10th 2009

Mountains of Might was a pretty good track....and that's about it.

April 10th 2009

It's not that this album is that bad, but its very bland and gets very boring. Definitely the worst album that Immortal has put out.

FadeToBlack
July 23rd 2009

cgjholhnihfgbjh u hgbvjhjh

ManRunsOverBus
August 31st 2009

I remember being really disappointed when I first heard this.

November 17th 2009

Abbath was such a bad drummer

the drums on pure holocaust are fucking awesome wtf

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

Meatplow
January 31st 2010

This is a lot better than some give it credit for, I was surprised to see a 5 star review for it though.

album art rules

devouredbymetal
April 21st 2010

solid album. love the guitars and abbaths vox as always.

April 21st 2010

Decent album, but easily Immortal's worst.