Enya
A Day Without Rain

by TheMisterBungle USER (12 Reviews)
December 13th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album is a stunning journey for the ears from the moment you press play.

I was looking through a Best Buy one day, and I suddenly thought of Enya. I remembered hearing her song Only Time and being enchanted by the beautiful melodies and the angelic singing. I decided to purchase the album, as I wanted to try something different, as I was also purchasing Between The Buried And Me's self titled album. I also needed a good album to fall asleep to. I was truly shocked to find out that I actually liked the album. The album is not only great to fall asleep to, but is actually fun to listen to!

The album is a stunning journey for the ears from the moment you press play. It starts with A Day Without Rain the title track, which is an instrumental in which the piano is at the forefront of the sound. The song is a excellent opener and gives you a taste of what is to come. The album uses many different insturments, but piano always comes back to remind us it is not going away.

The first song to grow on me though was, of course Only Time. It's poppy melodies and fabulous singing made me love the track instantly and listen to obsessively. I started listening to more and more of the album and found more of what I had loved in Only Time. Each and every track is chalk full of sensational compositions and sounds. The haunting Tempus Vernum is my favorite track on the album and is most definitely the darkest. It features sinister chanting and slow rhythms. Pilgrim is another highlight of mine off the album. The instruments in this song do not play a major role and act as a background to Enya's voice as it shines beautifully.

There are a number of things that bring down this album. For one, there is a lack of variety throughout the album. The songs all seem to follow somewhat of the same formula. The other thing that brings down this album is that it isn't very long. The album only clocks in at 34:20 and is far shorter than any other of her albums.

Overall I think this album is a great buy for someone who can appreciate classical music,
beautiful melodies and compositions. I think that this album is worth the gamble and that many people may be surprised to find that they like it.

The Sound of Animals Fighting Tiger and the DukeMr. Bungle California
Drop Dead, Gorgeous In VogueTool Opiate
Mr. Bungle OU818Marilyn Manson Remix & Repent
Brendan Schroer (3.5)
A beautiful album primarily marred by predictability....

December 13th 2006

I tried an overall review for the first time instead of just track by track.
Just tell me what you think.

Iluvatar
December 13th 2006

If you talk about all your ideas more, that would be fantastic.
But please, Enya is terrible. I'm not sure if I've heard every song off of this so I cant rate it, but everything I've heard has been incredibly sappy and terrible.

December 13th 2006

Yeah, she's kinda cheesy, but I enjoy it.

mx
December 13th 2006

Some Enya stuff is great, particularly "Watermark". Never listened to it too much besides for that. Appreciate the review-- I don't believe no one has done one of these yet.

December 13th 2006

Thanks, I heard Watermark is her best album.

superfascist
December 13th 2006

I don't usually like to take gambles with stuff like this, as you suggested, but lucky for me my mom bought this and I got to check it out. It's really not too bad at all. It gets repetative after a while, but in general there's a lot of really good stuff on this album.

[quote=mx]Appreciate the review-- I don't believe no one has done one of these yet.[/quote]

I was actually going to do this, but got caught up in school and such lately, so I couldn't find the time.

November 29th 2007

Great CD. Mom had this, didn't like the whole thing, so jacked it as one of my chill cd's. Great stuff.

InsertTacosHere
August 20th 2008

I listened to "Pilgrim" before I went skydiving. Oddly, it was pretty sick pump-up music.

Anthracks
August 27th 2008

Great in small doses.

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World

Willie
August 27th 2008

I love this CD. If it didn't mellow me out so much I would probably listen to it more.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

WashboardSuds
July 2nd 2011

great album

Digging: Zodiac (VASE) - Zodiac

YankeeDudel
December 11th 2012

how does watermark not have a review. for shame

Digging: Land Of Kush - Against The Day