Drowning Pool
Sinner

by Dead Kent USER (5 Reviews)
December 4th, 2006 | 84 replies | 22,596 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Drowning Pool have managed to put a good foot in front for the Nu-Metal scene with their first album Sinner. Full of unique riffs, great screams and amazing melodies.

The oxford dictionary defines a “Sin” as: an immoral act considered to violate divine law. This ties in with the general lyrical content of the entire album from Drowning Pool. The title track’s lyrics talk about being easily seen as a sinner in the public eye. Dave the singer talks of being molded by society into a reject and being looked down at. The track Mute is about being feeling unworthy of a certain someone, which is feeling like you have sinned, thus tying in with the album title.

On the musical side, I feel this album is very complex and original; especially considering it was Drowning Pool’s first album. Many bands have started fairly generic and have gained their originality through experience but I feel this album is a new sound to the Nu-Metal scene. Songs like Bodies and Reminded show many unique guitar styles by C.J. Pierce. He uses a lot of the wa-wa peddle for his riffs and at the start of Reminded uses some effect that wavers the sound. As for the bass, its fairly non-existent which is happening a lot nowadays with bands. It really just adds to the drums and doesn’t stand out or do any solo performances except the rare alone riff such as the beginning of Mute. The drums play a good role in this band’s sound but yet again, don’t stand out. If you’re looking for an album with wicked drumming like Dream Theater or Slipknot, look elsewhere. This album concentrates mainly on guitar and singing.

Dave’s singing is one of my favorites (may he rest in peace). On songs such as Bodies and Told You So, he shows his ability to scream at a great level. He has a unique scream that could be one of Drowning Pool’s defining aspects. But don’t let that fool you into thinking that’s all he can do. He can sing beautifully, as shown on Sinner, Tear Away, Mute and Follow.

Now, for the fans of guitar solos don’t worry. There are enough solos to keep you listening throughout this album but at the same time, isn’t too much. Many bands today are soloing too much or inappropriately like Trivum. C.J manages to balance out his soloing throughout this album very evenly. His style isn’t to shred the hell out of the guitar, but to add emotion to the song or, to put it another way, put a little bit of icing to a delicious cake. He solo’s on songs like Tear Away, Pity and Told You So.

Pros
Unique Guitar
Lyrics are strong and meaningful
Melodies and solos are seen the right amount of times

Cons
Basically inaudible bass guitar
No standout drumming
May be a little repetitive at times

Recommended Tracks
Sinner
Bodies
Mute
Told You So

Overall, I think fans of Disturbed and System of a Down may find this album very good. A very unique sound that is seen rarely in first releases of bands. My rating is a strong 4 out of 5.

3.3
Hero764 (3)
All the songs on here are worth listening to, but there really isn't anything special about most of ...

Jeremy Bentham (5)
A heavy, fun, and melodic debut album from a band that had tons of potential. It makes you wonder ho...

David James Young (4)
The original is still the best....

Acey (5)

NeoxFlame
December 4th 2006

Pretty neat album if u ask me~

ToWhatEnd
December 4th 2006

I remember the Bodies craze, that single was around for awhile. The review is nice, straight to the point yet informative and descriptive. This is quality stuff and its only your third one, keep it up.

sam_valley
December 4th 2006

ToWhatEnd thanks a lot dude, that's the best compliment I've ever had. I love writing reviews, it's quickly becoming one of my hobbies.

Wizard

19208 Comments

Good review. Short and to the point which is great to read! I saw these guys when they came to London, Ontario when he was doing one of his last ever shows on an Ozzfest off date. I was fortunate enough to meet Dave and catch one of his sweat towels during his performance (yes I was a fanboy back in the day of nu-metal and obsessed with every band at the time). I still have it signed by Dave. He was a damn good performer. Too bad he made the band, and when he passed on, these guys also became no more to me as well, except this album.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

ToWhatEnd
December 4th 2006

Pretty cool you still have the towel signed by him, collectors item for sure.

Necrophagist
December 26th 2006

Slipknot has wicked drumming?You make me laugh...

sam_valley
January 3rd 2007

Hey Necrophagist, why don't you go post that on a Slipknot album? Pussy

Acey
January 3rd 2007

lol. i like this album, a lot. some great songs that not many have heard of (ex. Pity, Mute, Follow)

Necrophagist
February 13th 2007

Next time someone makes a review praising Slipknot's "AWESOME,OMG!" drumming,I will.

SylentEcho
May 30th 2007

one of the best Nu Metal albums ever.

SylentEcho
May 30th 2007

Told You So, Pity, Reminded, I Am, Sermon.... damn!

this album is made of pure win! Im not tired of listening to this even after 4 years.

Iam138
May 18th 2008

Tear away is my Fave

HeadCharge123
May 28th 2008

I love Bodies and Tear Away even now lol

August 13th 2008

This album may be slightly repetitive at times. But it sure as hell is a brilliant rock album from the Nu Metal era. Tear Away, Bodies, Sinner, Pity, Reminded, Told You So & I Am are my favs from here. I'm surprised I didn't pick this up sooner

IAmInsect

lol

Hawks
August 13th 2008

A brilliant rock album from the nu metal era. Does that even make sense?

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

August 13th 2008

I'm saying that in a time when Nu Metal dominated everything, a good Hark Rock album managed to stick it out & seperate itself from what the Nu Metal craze was full of

Poet

1, nothing wrong with me
2, nothing wrong with me
3, nothing wrong with me
4, nothing wrong with ME!

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOR!!!

dannymetal
August 13th 2008

this is a pretty dam sweet album!

I got it when it first came out, and it still hasnt gotten old

August 14th 2008

It is one of those albums that really doesn't get old