KISS
Alive II

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
November 24th, 2006 | 23 replies | 8,087 views

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

KISS are a band that need no introduction, and yes, that was said before by a certain user of this site, but I'm just saying it again. They don't need to be introduced. Much like The Beatles, mostly everyone knows who they are. I'm sure more people have heard of The Beatles, and The Beatles are a much better band then KISS, but KISS are pretty well-known, and they know how to rock. Much like The Beatles, many kids don't like them. I do like The Beatles and KISS though. I'm probably the biggest KISS fan on this site. I'm not in the KISS Army, but I used to a huge fan. I still like 'em. This particular album, Alive II, is their second live album, and it's a great live album. Never mind the five studio filler songs on here that aren't even that great, except Rocket Ride, in which Ace Frehley plays drums, bass, guitar, and sings. The 15 live songs(which may not even be completely live) are great. While Alive! is considered to be the best KISS live album, I consider this to be it, because 1) It's the only live album from KISS I've heard, and 2) It's a great freakin' album!

You want the best, you got the best, the hottest band in the world, KISS! Those are the opening words to this album, or something said like that, before Disc 1 starts with Detroit Rock City. It's basically the same as the album version, but harder and better. KISS live is always better than a KISS studio album, even though their studio albums are good. Ace's guitar-playing has always been, in my opinion, very underrated, and he shows off his decent skills in this song. Shock Me is a great Ace guitar-playing track too.

Then, we get King Of The Night Time World, and it's an ok song, but nothing special. It's got a fun and catchy chorus, and some good singing by Paul(Speaking of which, when I was a baby, my dad had a KISS poster and I thought Paul was a girl, but that has nothing to do with this album). A nice little guitar solo.

Ladies Room comes up after that, and Gene takes the microphone and sings. Ladies Room has always been one of my favorites. Dang good chorus, too. I don't even know what's being said, but it's catchy and gets stuck in your head. It's stuck in my head right now.

I never much cared for Makin' Love, and I've always found it better on the studio album from which it came. Rock N Roll Over is the album it came off of, I think. Love Gun's next, and boy, it's a great song. It's one of those songs that are great on the studio album and the live album. Nice chorus and some pretty cheesy lyrics if you listen in. But that's no problem. KISS never did write songs like Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden.

Calling Dr. Love is an awesome song live. I love this song. It's probably the number one contender for best song on Disc 1. The guitar solo is a nice and Gene's vocals live have always been good. I mention the chorus ever time, and I'm mentioning it here too. If this were the type of review where I rated the songs on a scale from one to five, this song would get a 5 out of 5.

Almost ever song on this album has at least SOMETHING to do with love, and Christine Sixteen is about Gene(I guess), who's about to hit 30, falling in love with a 16 year old girl. Hey, I'm sure it's happened before. Catchy song, and the guitar-playing is nice, but it's a little short.

Next comes second or third contender for best song. It's the only song on Disc 1 with Ace Frehley on vocals, and it's a great song called Shock Me. It's the longest song on both discs, and the longest KISS song I've heard, coming in at 5 minutes and 51 seconds. It's about the time Ace was shocked(literally) on stage back in 1975. Or 1976. Can't remember, but it doesn't matter. This song rocks. The guitar solo really shows that Ace isn't mediocre at his instrument, it shows that he's pretty good at his instrument. The guitar solo isn't one of those 15 second solos that the band does, it's at least a minute or two. It's kind of like Van Halen's Eruption, except Eddie Van Halen's a better guitarist than Ace Frehley.

This next song puts drummer Peter Criss on vocals. It's called Hard Luck Woman, and I guess it's an accoustic track. I don't know, but it's a pretty good song. Not the worst song on here, but you know, nothing great. Peter Criss has always had a good singing voice I think, and I've always thought he should have more than the amount of songs you can count on one hand. He sings on his solo album, but still, he needs more KISS songs, dang it! If you don't know what "dang" means by the way, it's what us Southern boys say in replace of damn. Anyway, Hard Luck Woman's an ok song. Next there's Tomorrow And Tonight, and I don't know why this was even played live. It's a pretty mediocre song. Sure, it's catchy, but still, not that great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------DISC 2 --------------------------------------------

Well, yes, the above lines were not needed, but still, here's the five live songs of Disc 2.

Things starts off with I Stole Your Love, and it's the same as Tomorrow And Tonight. I don't even know what it was played. It's just filler! After that, we get a KISS classic with Peter on vocals. Is it A) Beth B) Yellow Submarine, or C) Sweet Home Alabama? If you guessed B or C, you're a retard. The Beatles do B, and Lynryd Skynryd do C. KISS do A.

Beth's a great song, with no rock instruments, just cheesy lyrics and a symphony playing in the background. I guess that's a symphony. Or orchestra. I don't know. Great song, though. Hard rock KISS classic God Of Thunder's next, and it's a heavy song. It's played particularly fast on this album, unlike on "Destroyer". There's a cool drum solo in it too.

I Want You is a pretty rockin' song, with some good chorus. There's just something about this track that never really impressed me. Still an ok song, but it ain't great. The final live song is Shout It Out Loud. It's one of the most well-known KISS songs, along with, well, I don't even need to say its name. You've heard it. Wonderful song, with a great guitar solo, and I'm not sure, but you can kind of hear fireworks and crap like that going off in the background.

And thus ends the show. I won't talk about the five studio tracks. Let's just say that they're all average tracks, except Rocket Ride. Alive II is a must-have for any mild KISS fan or any huge KISS fan. 4.5/5.

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside
Pedro B. (4)
Now THIS is a live album!!...

Patrick
November 24th 2006

Calling dr. love is a good song.

November 24th 2006

Okay review, you're getting better.

KISS are abysmal.

November 24th 2006

I'd say it's your best. The descriptions are more informative.

November 24th 2006

Any KISS live is good. I have Alive III, and it's still pretty awesome. I'd get this, but I go for the cheap, 7-15$ CDs. This being two discs, probably around $20, it would be a while before I got it.

November 25th 2006

Hey, can you vote for it to raise my approval rating?

Done :thumb:

JohnXDoesn't
November 25th 2006

pretty nice review. you know i have been considering KISS lately. i don't like their post Dynasty stuff, but some of that '70s stuff is fairly raw. or interesting like some things on Destroyer. they have this huge image because of the live show, etc...big sound live. at least now. but those early records sound pretty good in some cases. stripped down, guys can't quite cut it musically so they make up for it in keeping it simple. and the songwriting is better then given credit for in many cases. this album has come out in a mega edition with the other two "Alive" sets. i was going to review it, but meh...This Message Edited On 11.25.06

November 25th 2006

JXD, you liked Dynasty? I heard it was their attempt at going disco, which I must admit intruiges me.

November 25th 2006

[quote="ohcleverhansyou"] I heard it was their attempt at going disco, which I must admit intruiges me.[/quote]

Attempt is the key word there. They didn't really sound like disco. Not with guitars and such.

November 25th 2006

Hey, I just added Alive III, why don't you review that one too.

November 25th 2006

Alrighty then, I don't know if it'll be that god though.This Message Edited On 09.24.07

JohnXDoesn't
November 26th 2006

JXD, you liked Dynasty? I heard it was their attempt at going disco, which I must admit intiuges me.

well you know it has its '70's disco influences, but its still played with loud guitars and hard rock gusto, so to speak. and while a few songs could be considered weak, you can say that of Kiss albums in general. you know it was the times back then. The Stones, Rod Stewart, among others, dabbled in disco a bit. and it's not a disco album, per se. biggest knock against it might be that Ace and Peter don't play on the record. the band was desolving, and while Ace does some lead/backing vocals i saw a clip on TV that said he didn't play a lick of guitar. maybe on 2,000 Man. And Peter didn't play drums. I think I might review this for you KISS ARMY Heads here. It'll be fun and I need something simple to recover from my Snoop review
This Message Edited On 11.26.06

November 26th 2006

^Sounds good. Disco+guitar gets me all hot and bothered, but I don't think I'm allowed to like KISS without Ace or Peter.

redtaperitual13
September 27th 2007

you are obviously not a very big kiss fan, you havent even heard Alive! and you didnt know when some albums came out...

your worthless.

mark7477
August 11th 2010

the second best of all the kiss live albums which had a completely different selection of kiss songs including one side of studio material.

rocker23472654812314
January 2nd 2011

great review, this is best live album ever recorded

March 5th 2012

its cool yea

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Moople
June 22nd 2013

rip dethtrasher

facupm
August 1st 2013

awesome live album, but dude c'mon i stole your love filler??

Digging: Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

menawati
August 1st 2013

"While Alive! is considered to be the best KISS live album, I consider this to be it, because 1) It's the only live album from KISS I've heard"

damn Sonic that first paragraph is genius

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia