Hibria
Defying The Rules

by GenuineImitation USER (3 Reviews)
November 20th, 2006 | 22 replies | 4,130 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album amazing. While a little one dimensional (its only flaw), it does not disapoint and will leave you wanting more.

Hibria’s Defying the Rules is one of the most overlooked metal albums of 2005. Hailing from Brazil, Hibria can possibly be the next poster child for speed metal. Their debut album is the perfect blend of melody and speed. It’s aggressive, but is very catchy and has you singing along from the second Steal Lord on Wheels kicks in. So put on a leather jacket, grab your helmet and start up that Harley as you get ready for a epic musical journey with Hibria’s Defying the Rules.

When one thinks of good power metal, one cannot under estimate the importance of the vocals. They have to be fast, melodic and epic. That is what this album is full of. The vocal work on the album is top notch and can be loved by any fan of metal. Unless you despise power metal, you will appreciate the vocals. They are great, not the best, but they fit the band perfectly. The only flaw with the vocals is that they are typically one dimensional; fast and powerful. But he excels at this and they are thoroughly enjoyable.

The musicianship of the band is superb and fits the mold of a typical speed metal band. While they suffer from the same thing as the vocals, being very one dimensional, it is done well and does not get old. The guitar work and drumming is fantastic (especially on the song Defying the Rules ) and the bass is good. It is just overshadowed at times by the guitars, drums and vocals which is a shame. When the bass is audible though, it is very catchy, technical, and creative. It really adds to the music. Even though the guitar work is fantastic, I find it difficult to separate the songs at times because of the similar tone, tempos and riffs. While the songs are different, they all share a common trait which makes the album flow as if it is one song. Some people like this, but I like a little more diversity. The songs are great at individuals, but as an album, this aspect holds it back.

All in all, if you are a fan of metal, especially power and speed metal check this album out. It is also is a great way to get into those sub-genre’s if you are unfamiliar with them. This album is definitely worth a listen and if you see it in your local store, it definitely worth buying. I give this album a 4.5 and I would give it a 5 if it was not so one dimensional. It is powerful and when it’s over, it will leave you wanting more. I know that once you hear this, you will feel the same way and will be waiting anxiously for their next release.

Recommended Tracks:

I love the entire cd, but my favorites are:

Steel Lord on Wheels
Defying the Rules
High Speed Breakout
Living Under Ice

Tyler

great album

Mikesn
November 20th 2006

This looks very interesting. Nice review.

Cravinov13
November 20th 2006

Are they anything like Kamelot? Or are they more DragonForce?

Tyler
November 20th 2006

They're not really like either.

Zebra
November 20th 2006

For a second review this was a fairly impressive read. Your sentences were a bit choppy at times and you added in a lot unneeded commas but I liked the short and precise format. Good work.

GenuineImitation
November 20th 2006

Thanks Zebra. I actually wrote this pretty fast because I ddint haver that much time. THerefore i didnt get to edit as much as I planned on. How do I edit my reviews?

ValkyriefromtheVoid
January 3rd 2012

I absolutely adore this album. THE best power metal I've ever heard. Every member of that band was so talented (though some live videos I've looked up shows the vocalist flailing a bit). Their next albums failed to live up to this. Hard.

August 22nd 2012

solid album

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

December 4th 2012

MILLENIUM QUEST IS CALLING FOR THE ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Digging: Ishq - Orchid

May 16th 2013

best power metal

i hate calling it that tho, as it's closer to heavy/speed than power

fantastic album

Gotta check!

May 29th 2013

do it now dude you won't regret it!

Cool dl'ing now

June 14th 2013

=]

Eunuch
July 14th 2013

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I WANT IT ALL.

just bumping to prove my eliteness. has poet even heard this?

July 14th 2013

hope so, cuz this is best power metal

Eunuch
July 14th 2013

I can't go that far cus like u said up there ^ it's like heavy speed

July 14th 2013

Awesome album one of the best speed metal albums but not even the best tbh