|Left 5 bands for suggestions. Disclaimer: not all of these bands are exclusively doom, but enough that they warrant credit to the genre and what is has become. This is my longest list ever. |
|60 is the best doom I've heard so far. Definitely some other good shit on this list too.|
|There are a couple here that are fantastic .|
That said, there are many here that can't even reasonably be considered "definitive" doom metal albums.
|List is amazing.|
|for sure man, I know it's missing a lot but I've drank a btl of wine so my memory is a little fuzzy lol|
|haha I think I'm going to change the title Crysis because you are right. |
I love Worship actually can't believe I forgot to put them on.
|it's 60, i was going to castrate you if that wasn't on here|
|If Cult of Luna is here then so should Neurosis and Isis. I'd also consider Godflesh (pretty close to doom), Earth, Sleep (you have Electric Wizard so should have this), and Corrupted. |
|Awesome list, nice to see Cathedral on here.|
|60 is the best doom metal album of all time|
neurosis should be here if col is here
|Edit: Wow fuck i completely missed 10. Nvm good list.|
|Dopesmoker by Sleep|
|this is pretty tits, love Ahab, list needs moar Kahnate|
|thanks for the help guys, I edited in some more bands. |
|saying a strong no to many of these, and dude that earth album is drone, not doom|
|fair enough, that's why I said 'in my humble opinion'|
And argue over genres if you want but the album still has enough doom to make it one of my favs
|Some great albums on here like Winter and Hooded Menace.|
Check out Spina Bifida, Disembowelment, Rippikoulu, and Cianide.
|#6 and 43 are really really good they are my top two on this list, and evoken is great also :D|
disembowelment and corrupted for sure.
|No Reverend Bizarre?|
|Is Worship seriously not on here or did I just miss it?|
|swallow the sun - hope is good too|
|Yeah. You need Worship.|
|so much win in this list|
|Good to see somebody appreciating some doom around these parts. I have both praise and criticism to offer you.|
(2) The only My Dying Bride album with relevance is Turn Loose the Swans.
(3) Novembers Doom doesn't belong here.
(5) Paradise Lost's Gothic is their only album worth mentioning, and even that is far eclipsed by Anathema's debut, MDB'd debut and Katatonia's debut. Of their later albums Shades of God is decent but not really worthy of such a list.
(6) Daylight Dies doesn't belong here.
(10) I used to be partial to everything they did but recently I've decided that Solitude Aeturnus' debut is the only worthy album they've put out.
(15) Helevorn is generic as shit. I received the promo of that album to review, and my little listening recently has further evidenced this.
(17) Mar de Grises are one of the most overrated bands in the genre
(18) This album was quite bland, their debut is far superior.
(27) I know their fans are really passionate about their music, but come on now - Type O are really bad.
(30) One of the most important bands in the genre.
(36) So Overrated.
(50) Do you even like doom?
(51) As above.
(68) Decent band but not essential to anything. Ophis do their style far better, and both of them are derivative of Ataraxie anyway.
(71) Can't get better than this
|You cover some good bands but also have included bands which definitely do not belong on such a list. You have also missed some very important ones, so I'll list as many as I can think of and hopefully you will check them out (unless you already have and just forgot to put them up).|
Probably not essential, but Mourning Beloveth are a personal favourite.
Sempiternal Deathreign - absolutely essential.
Not essentialy, but Sol - Let There Be a Massacre is worth hearing.
Immortal Visions and Symphony of Grief are archaic death/doom that were reasonably important and still good (albeit a little dated).
Loss needs a place on this list.
Ras Algethi are a hugely underrated group that could do with some more attention.
Wreck of Hesperus are another personal favourite, quite a unique band, and one that can combine black and doom together with sounding awful.
And then moving onto the sludge side of things, you really haven't got much:
Church of Misery
Graves at Sea
But if you think that everything I've said so far is absolutely bullshit, all I have to say is this: Stabat Mater and fucking Corrupted. I mean come on now.
|Mournful Congregation yo |
|DO YOU EVEN LIKE DOOM?|
|Yeah Sub Templum is monolithic.|
|No Corrupted? |
|Love Candlemass, Trouble and Solitude Aeturnus but where's Pentagram? And I personally would've included some Sabbath as they played a huge part in inventing the genre even if it didn't become a sub genre in it's own right 'til over a decade later.|
|Worship's my favourite doom band.|
|Wow u know Shattered Hope? Good, im glad u do bcs they are a great band, and i have bought their debut album, which i liked much btw.|
About the list, I would have put Katatonias's DoDS in the 1st 10.
|list needs more Disembowelment and Mourning Beloveth, as well as other albums by Skepticism and |
|For some lesser known doom try Doomraiser and wizar'd (it's not a typo).|
Also, how come you don't have reverend bizarre?
|Very interesting list my friend.|
|Check out Thane at reverbnation.com/thanetheband|
|Nice to see all Mar de Grises albums here. Great list! I assume you don't classify Agalloch as doom metal.|
|he probably does he put isis on here|
|October Rust is like the best album ever|
|List is m/.|
|type 0 negative best doom band evarr|
|RIP Pete Steele|