[Last updated March 21, 2008.]
Welcome to Sputnikmusic! Our mission is to provide a resource for music enthusiasts, with a strong emphasis on our community of reviewers from all parts of the world. All LPs, EPs, artist DVDs, and official bootlegs are added, rated, and reviewed by our members, making Sputnikmusic an excellent resource where anyone can quickly search for an artist or album and read reviews. Sputnikmusic was launched in January 2005; our database is limited solely by our users' submissions to the site.
Essentially, we are a community-driven music site where our users write and submit album reviews and more. In addition to increasing their reviewing abilities and developing into critical thinkers and writers, users can:
1. Create a Sputnikmusic profile, enabling users to post on Sputnikmusic and the community forums,
2. Find albums and genres of interest to further their musical curiosity,
3. Rate albums on a scale of 1-5,
4. Create a musical timeline to showcase their progression (or lack thereof) of their musical tastes over the years,
5. Submit and read music news,
6. Record journal entries and make lists of concert experiences, showcase music they're currently listening to, Top Ten lists, and more,
7. Be exposed to music - new and old - through Sputnikmusic's listening parties,
8. "Sound off" on albums as an alternate to submitting formal reviews.
By having a large, interactive community that can feature a diverse array of opinions on albums instead of a few select reviewers, we are able to present multiple opinions of an album or artist.
In order to create a musical profile, post comments on Sputnikmusic and the community forums, and begin using the site to its fullest extent, you will need to register with us:
Once registered, you can begin to rate your music, submit news, write reviews and/or sound-offs, and more.
As you begin to rate your music, you will begin to develop your musical profile, which will chart your overall taste in music. Further, you can create a rough timeline of your musical tastes over the years, add your favorite artists, tell users what album or artist you've been digging lately, and more.
An example of a Sputnikmusic profile:
Sputnikmusic automatically calculates your genre pie chart based on your activity (as in, how many albums you've rated on the site). The more albums you rate, the more accurate your pie chart will become.