Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cymbal & Head Finder Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572337)

Seafroggys 06-18-2010 03:28 PM

My first head broke in over 8 years. My bass batter's top ply has a 2-3" long split where my beater hits. ****s up tone and rebound. Of course, I didn't have a patch (my old one fell off a long time ago) so that could have been the cause.

fishbulb 07-05-2010 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=SgtBaker;18037715]Ill let you know. It might be better just to sell to you instead of waiting for some flakey as[SIZE="2"]s[/SIZE] from craigslist. It is 16in and in good condition,[/QUOTE]

So what's the dealio?

fishbulb 07-14-2010 12:55 AM

So... is it still for sale, Baker?

Muad_Dib 08-02-2010 11:49 AM

Does anyone know what hi-hats John Dolmayan used on SOAD's Toxicity album? I know he uses's Paiste now, but didn't he use something else back then? In any case, that's the hi-hat sound I'm really looking for, pretty dry, crisp. Here's a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkOQjK71Ss&feature=related

spirit 08-02-2010 12:01 PM

Having searched around, I've found someone who seems to believe that John has played Paiste since 1998, which I can believe. Certainly he used them for the Toxicity tour and all the promo videos, which doesn't mean he used them in the studio, but is a strong indicator.

I would suggest looking at 14" Signature Dry Crisp hi hats.

Another source seems to suggest Signature Heavy hats may be the thing you're after.

Muad_Dib 08-02-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks, I will look into them. For some reason I thought he used to play Zildjian. I have Paiste sound edge hats, which seem to come close, but aren't quite exactly right.

spirit 08-02-2010 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Muad_Dib;18110757]Thanks, I will look into them. For some reason I thought he used to play Zildjian. I have Paiste sound edge hats, which seem to come close, but aren't quite exactly right.[/QUOTE]

Which series Sound Edge?

Muad_Dib 08-02-2010 06:33 PM

Coolhandluke 08-07-2010 12:17 AM

Looking to upgrade my Hi Hats. Looking for something with a nice "chick" sound. Leaning towards Zildjian A New beats. I play rock/metal/classic rock. Also looking for some crashes in the 16-18 inch range that have an explosive response but a quick decay any thoughts?

American Motor 08-07-2010 01:08 AM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCdiT6XWXLY[/url]

Seafroggys 08-07-2010 01:48 AM

[QUOTE=Coolhandluke;18119001]Looking to upgrade my Hi Hats. Looking for something with a nice "chick" sound. Leaning towards Zildjian A New beats. I play rock/metal/classic rock. Also looking for some crashes in the 16-18 inch range that have an explosive response but a quick decay any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

New Beats are, bar none, the best hi-hats you can get. Get those.

Even though I don't have much experience, Zildjian A Customs may be what you're looking for as far as crashes go. Or any "Fast Crash".

Coolhandluke 08-14-2010 03:32 PM

So I just scored (at least I think so) a sweet deal. I got a A Zildjian 20" ping ride new for 175bucks from the local music store. They were trying to get rid of all there cymbals to get new stuff in.

Seafroggys 08-14-2010 06:29 PM

Very good cymbal. I have the 22" A Ping and I love it! Good price too. My cymbal was $270 new back in '06 before the price of bronze skyrocketed. So great deal.

Coolhandluke 08-14-2010 06:41 PM

Yeah I wasnt exactly looking to replace my sweet ZXT Titanium ride /sacarasm
but when he said the price I couldnt to pass it up

Coolhandluke 08-20-2010 12:01 AM

So I have been looking at crashes for a while now. I need to replace a 16 ZXT I have. I was going to buy the 16 k custom fast crash, but then I started thinking about it and I am not sure its has the right sound for classic rock, rock music. So I am curious is anyone out there using them for that type of music and thinks the sound of the cymbals goes well with rock? When looking at the price the cymbal definitely needs to work.

Seafroggys 08-20-2010 11:44 AM

For classic rock, you can't go wrong with what they used, which were Zildjian A and Paiste 2002. Also Sabian AA to get a similar sound, even though Sabian wasn't around in the 70's. I know some classic rock guys also used a few Zildjian K's, like Roger Taylor.

Coolhandluke 08-21-2010 04:18 PM

After testing out an A custom an A series and a K custom fast crash. I went with the K. Its sound was much smoother then the others imo and it wasnt as dark as i thought it would be so it should fit perfectly.

sweet_nothings 10-07-2010 04:44 AM

Thoughts on Sabian HHX 14" Groove Hats vs. Meinl 14" Sand Hats?

\m/-CHeV-\m/ 10-07-2010 09:55 AM

hey guys,

Im lookign for a new snare head (batter). im currently using a coated amb, and im looking for something a bit fatter. I was thinking of buying a powerstroke for my snare, but i was wondering what people's experiences are with this head. mind you, Im dedicated to my band right now (metal), so im looking for something to fit in there. i was initially thinking of buying an emp, but is a powerstroke, coated of course, any good on the snare?

Seafroggys 10-07-2010 11:54 AM

Controlled Sound, reverse dot.

fishbulb 10-07-2010 12:18 PM

Yep, i'm with froggeh on this one. It's still single ply but slightly muffled with the reverse dot so it'll give you a bit fatter sound.

What reso are you using?

\m/-CHeV-\m/ 10-08-2010 01:58 AM

Evans hazy 200

ant_182 10-10-2010 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=\m/-CHeV-\m/;18214424]hey guys,

Im lookign for a new snare head (batter). im currently using a coated amb, and im looking for something a bit fatter. I was thinking of buying a powerstroke for my snare, but i was wondering what people's experiences are with this head. mind you, Im dedicated to my band right now (metal), so im looking for something to fit in there. i was initially thinking of buying an emp, but is a powerstroke, coated of course, any good on the snare?[/QUOTE]

noooo. Get either the CS.Dot or other brands version. The other thicker heads will kill your snare drum!!!

\m/-CHeV-\m/ 10-11-2010 10:41 AM

i got the CS reverse dot :). sounds pretty neat so far! i just need to find the perfect tuning for it.. i find that it has a really nice pop when the reso head isnt over-tightened :).

Shaddaye 01-30-2011 02:33 AM

[QUOTE=Randy_Orton1;17181586]Hey,
I'm looking for a pair of hi-hats that would go good with my A Custom 18" Medium Crash (I love that cymbal, it's great). I need something that sounds good for rock/punk music. I'm a Zildjian whore, so only recommend Zildjian cymbals. Price is not really an issue :)[/QUOTE]

Welllll I'm a Zildjian whore too ^^ maybe we should create a fanclub :)

I have the ZXT titanium rock Zildjian hit hat... I love it but the ride and the crash that comes with it, in the pack, are pretty ordinary though.

The finish is class too, looks good... as a girl, never thought of doing my make up along playing, but now I can :D

It's an old post ...but felt like answering it, trying it is buying it ^^

Shaddaye 01-30-2011 02:45 AM

Heyyy,

I'm actually also looking for a splash/china cymbal with a nice dark ksschhhh sound ;)

Have suggestions I may look into ? It's been missing on my set for quite a while... I can't live without one anymore but still don't know what to go for... what I heard so far doesn't please me.

Myslik 02-28-2011 01:22 PM

looking for to completely repalce the heads on my mapex pro m studio kit. I currently am playing in a quartet and up until now I haven't been using my own kit but yeah I need to upgrade. I have g2's on all batters even snare. I like the way they sound on the toms to be honest but I feel like they would be better with a new reso. The resos on everything are still stock. hahah.

tell me your preference for heads if you were going to be playing my kit in a quarter playing latin/jazz/samba/afrocuban music

Seafroggys 02-28-2011 01:28 PM

G2's are good on toms (I use emps, but same thing). Get clear G1s for the resos, that'll open up your sound a bit. On the snare, go for a power dot sort of head, or even a regular coated G1. Also consider replacing your snareside head as well.

Jeffs Carrot 03-24-2011 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Myslik;18423229]looking for to completely repalce the heads on my mapex pro m studio kit. I currently am playing in a quartet and up until now I haven't been using my own kit but yeah I need to upgrade. I have g2's on all batters even snare. I like the way they sound on the toms to be honest but I feel like they would be better with a new reso. The resos on everything are still stock. hahah.

tell me your preference for heads if you were going to be playing my kit in a quarter playing latin/jazz/samba/afrocuban music[/QUOTE]

You may want to try some remo CS dots for your toms, they have a really unique sound that would work great for the setting you are in. Think tony williams tones for jazz and there you go. And for the reso any single ply head will suffice.

Seafroggys 03-24-2011 01:24 PM

Yeah I have Remo CS Dots on my toms now, totally different sound from my emps that I used for years, but man its pretty cool.