Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   any other death heads? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528770)

Toaster 06-26-2007 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=Behemoth_Rules_All;14890488]Interesting is a matter of personal perception, and so is kvlt (relatively). talented, who the **** are we to say? Slipknot is simple boring ****, but Mick can play **** 10 times more complex than what he does with them. He's a virtually unknown guitar genius. We can't judge what we don't know.

And I'm not just interested in supporting "good" bands, because that's a matter of personal opinion. I'm interested in supporting bands whose music I enjoy.

It's not that retarded or complex of a thought.[/QUOTE]

First of all Mick Thompson is s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t at guitar. Please don't ever insinuate that he's anything more than a piece of s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t guitar player.

What I mean is, why would you support, or even like, a band that you find uninteresting?? Obviously you can't tell objectively if a band is interesting, but I can't see where you'd enjoy a band that you think is uninteresting any more than you'd enjoy an uninteresting book or movie.

If you enjoy a band's music, don't you think they're a 'good' band? :confused:

pate 06-26-2007 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=Toaster;14890518]First of all Mick Thompson is s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t at guitar. Please don't ever insinuate that he's anything more than a piece of s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t guitar player.
[/QUOTE]

As much as I hate to say it, I've seen video of him giving a clinic. He can rip. He just can't do it in the context of their **** songs and his **** writing.

Toaster 06-26-2007 10:53 PM

Video plz?

Nepenthe 06-26-2007 10:54 PM

That's some retarded logic, "not judge what we don't know".

His playing in slipknot sucks, so I'm not going to go "oh im sure he can play really good when hes chilling in his room so stfu guys". I don't really care what he's capable of, I care about what he does. That's about as flawed as the "don't hate on it unless you can do it better" logic.

Invicta_Veritas 06-26-2007 10:55 PM

[quote=Toaster;14890518]First of all Mick Thompson is s[SIZE=2]hi[/SIZE]t at guitar. Please don't ever insinuate that he's anything more than a piece of s[SIZE=2]hi[/SIZE]t guitar player.

If you enjoy a band's music, don't you think they're a 'good' band? :confused:[/quote]

Mick is a highly schooled classical guitar player, child. Don't spout off at me, go read the interviews. Slipknot is child's play compared to what he grew up learning.

And no, enjoying music and knowing if it's good or bad isn't the same. "Good" can have many different objective and subjective meanings.....

Good around here tends to mean showing high amounts of complexity, talent, or popularity. What if I listen to something and enjoy it, but it doesn't fit any of those characteristics? Does that make it bad? To you, maybe, but not to me. You see, it's all relative.

@ Nepenthe: he teaches guitar, not just "chilling in his room".

pate 06-26-2007 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=Toaster;14890538]Video plz?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea where it was. I saw it like 2 years ago.

Angmar 06-26-2007 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Toaster;14890518]First of all Mick Thompson is s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t at guitar. Please don't ever insinuate that he's anything more than a piece of s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t guitar player.

What I mean is, why would you support, or even like, a band that you find uninteresting?? Obviously you can't tell objectively if a band is interesting, but I can't see where you'd enjoy a band that you think is uninteresting any more than you'd enjoy an uninteresting book or movie.

If you enjoy a band's music, don't you think they're a 'good' band? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Just give this argument up, you guys are starting to annoy the hell out of me.

RiceMonster 06-26-2007 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=Nepenthe;14890542]That's some retarded logic, "not judge what we don't know".

His playing in slipknot sucks, so I'm not going to go "oh im sure he can play really good when hes chilling in his room so stfu guys". I don't really care what he's capable of, I care about what he does. That's about as flawed as the "don't hate on it unless you can do it better" logic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly. What he does outside the band is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is he plays shitty music. End of argument.

Nepenthe 06-26-2007 10:58 PM

He can teach it all he wants, if he's not doing anything interesting on an album I don't see the point.

Invicta_Veritas 06-26-2007 10:59 PM

So you're saying kids shouldn't get lessons from this outstanding teacher because the band he's in sucks, so he must suck too.

Great logic.

And if he were never in slipknot and were just a teacher, that would make him 10 times better of a guitarist. Even better logic. Fvck.

Nepenthe 06-26-2007 11:01 PM

Where did you get that from?

You were sticking up for slipknot by saying "hes actually a good guitar player". I'm saying "he actually sucks really hardcore in the music he plays".

Poofy 666 06-26-2007 11:01 PM

[QUOTE]
Also my band is playing with Neuraxis on saturday![/QUOTE]

cool. what's your band name?

rattlehead42147 06-26-2007 11:50 PM

no, mick thompson is very ****ing good at guitar. slipknot sucks balls, but the guy can rip. its surprising how bad slipknot is and they have no solos when he was influenced by guys like randy rhoads and yngwie.

do you guys find it weird that nevermore's azagthoth's list? i saw that post a while back but still. Nevermore is ****ing amazing.
Trey Azagthoth is God
Correction:
Jeff Loomis is God

Tyler 06-26-2007 11:54 PM

mick thompson isnt as bad as slipknot leads you to believe but he's really nothing special. he can "shred" but shredding is ****ing gay.

FatalEnergy 06-26-2007 11:54 PM

I cannot stand Nevermore one bit.

I have never understood why so many people like them.

Tyler 06-26-2007 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=FatalEnergy;14890656]I cannot stand Nevermore one bit.

I have never understood why so many people like them.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I can tolerate them, but they're uninteresting. Shitty vocals, mediocre solos and bland songwriting.

Bazarov 06-26-2007 11:55 PM

Dammit, I haven't listened to Autopsy in so long. Austin inspired me to give them another healthy listen.

NP: Necrocanibalistic Vomitorium

FatalEnergy 06-27-2007 12:00 AM

Autopsy rules. Charred remains ftw.

Why is there so much ghey Mick Thompson talk in a DM thread?

PinkFreud 06-27-2007 12:00 AM

Loomis is a great guitarist.

Nevermore's pretty cool. Dane's vocals are a bit ridiculous sometimes though.

Tyler 06-27-2007 12:01 AM

[QUOTE]Why is there so much ghey Mick Thompson talk in a DM thread?[/QUOTE]
Who knows. He's soloing on the new Malevolent Creation album, though.

[QUOTE]Loomis is a great guitarist.
[/QUOTE]
Meh, he's talented and whatnot but I really hate what he writes. The dude who's touring with them now (or was), the dude from Jag Panzer, he's way better.

i am the robots 06-27-2007 12:01 AM

I'm listening to screamo.

Tyler 06-27-2007 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;14890676]I'm listening to screamo.[/QUOTE]

I'm listening to ska/reggae. Hah.

i am the robots 06-27-2007 12:02 AM

And yet we post in a death metal thread. /artsy

FatalEnergy 06-27-2007 12:03 AM

I'm listening to jazz.

Stormrider 06-27-2007 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Cocaine;14890674]Meh, he's talented and whatnot but I really hate what he writes. The dude who's touring with them now (or was), the dude from Jag Panzer, he's way better.[/QUOTE]

Chris Broderick.

Nepenthe 06-27-2007 12:04 AM

But I'm listening to Ulver, so I must be the artiest right?

Dane's vocals are about the only thing I like about Nevermore. Loomis can play yes, but as far as writing interesting and intriguing riffs and solos, he fails.

i am the robots 06-27-2007 12:08 AM

I think Nevermore just flat out stanks.

pate 06-27-2007 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=Stormrider331;14890691]Chris Broderick.[/QUOTE]

Damn right. Loomis is mad overrated, but Broderick is godly.

Stormrider 06-27-2007 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=pate;14890711]Damn right. Loomis is mad overrated, but Broderick is godly.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't agreeing with Cocaine. I was just naming the guy he was talking about :p

Nepenthe 06-27-2007 12:15 AM

You're just supposed to say 'yeah pate that's right, good job'. It makes him feel better.