Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

Eliminator 10-07-2006 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=ArrestThisMan;13397376]Yea man. Have you heard the album that he did with Dan the Automater?[/QUOTE]

by that i'm assuming you're talking about [i]Dr. Octagonecologyst[/i]

ABF!: that album is rly good too

ATM 10-07-2006 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Eliminator;13397750]by that i'm assuming you're talking about [i]Dr. Octagonecologyst[/i]

ABF!: that album is rly good too[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's called A Much Better Tomorrow. I don't know if its an offical release, just something I came across online. It's so good, though.

Robert Crumb 10-07-2006 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=raus;13396655]What? Albumbase is the best thing for downloading rap I've come across.[/QUOTE]

Site always makes me a little nervous, especially with the ads they have on there now. I'm sure it's loaded down with spyware or some ****, but damn if I don't find everything I want on there when it comes to rap/soul/rnb/etc. Got Amp Fiddler's album off there the other day, good quality rip, too. Too bad the album kinda sucks.

LF96 10-07-2006 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13398308]Site always makes me a little nervous, especially with the ads they have on there now. I'm sure it's loaded down with spyware or some ****, but damn if I don't find everything I want on there when it comes to rap/soul/rnb/etc. Got Amp Fiddler's album off there the other day, good quality rip, too. Too bad the album kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]
It does? I liked what I've heard from Waltz of a Ghetto Fly, how is it compared to that one?

Eliminator 10-07-2006 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13398308]Site always makes me a little nervous, especially with the ads they have on there now. I'm sure it's loaded down with spyware or some ****, but damn if I don't find everything I want on there when it comes to rap/soul/rnb/etc. Got Amp Fiddler's album off there the other day, good quality rip, too. Too bad the album kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that site makes me nervous too.

Then again I'm on a guilt trip from downloading a lot of slsk.

Robert Crumb 10-07-2006 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=LF96;13398424]It does? I liked what I've heard from Waltz of a Ghetto Fly, how is it compared to that one?[/QUOTE]

It's not all that different, I guess. I liked that one, this one is pretty much a bit more of the same. There are a couple of decent tunes, but I think it kinda suffered from the same lack of really solid pop hooks that the originals on Waltz lacked. He's got cool ideas but it seems like there are a handful of guys around who are better able at pulling off similar kinds of stuff he has in mind.

pixiesfanyo 10-07-2006 02:25 PM

The new Jay-Z single is ****ing ridiculous.

Rams 10-07-2006 02:38 PM

The beat sucks on it. Hopefully he gets a real producer for the rest of the album.

Eliminator 10-07-2006 02:41 PM

i like the current Game single

i've onl heard it once or twice though =\

raus 10-07-2006 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=Rams;13398793]The beat sucks on it. Hopefully he gets a real producer for the rest of the album.[/QUOTE]
You are just straight up perplexing.

Albumbase doesn't have spyware as far as I know, and you don't have to fill out any of the offers like it says you do.

ATM 10-07-2006 03:39 PM

Album Base is awesome.

antiant 10-07-2006 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13398308]Got Amp Fiddler's album off there the other day, good quality rip, too. Too bad the album kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]
man, i've been trying to get amp fiddler and i haven't had any luck, i wanted to see how he sounded

The Jungler 10-07-2006 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=ArrestThisMan;13397995]Nah, it's called A Much Better Tomorrow. I don't know if its an offical release, just something I came across online. It's so good, though.[/QUOTE]It's an official release, I think. I reviewed it for Sputnik a little while ago. Good stuff.
[quote=Eliminator]Game Single[/quote]Yeah, that song is pretty great. My friend is in love with it.

Eliminator 10-07-2006 08:38 PM

he's dissin' bitches left and right

if i remember correctly

The Runner 10-07-2006 10:22 PM

What are the best hip hop/rap albums that I should check out?

ATM 10-07-2006 10:23 PM

Hmm.. what have you already heard?

raus 10-07-2006 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=The Runner;13401166]What are the best hip hop/rap albums that I should check out?[/QUOTE]Is your title an AN reference?

Classics:
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Tupac - Me Against The World
Nas - Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
GZA - Liquid Swords
Ghostface - Ironman
Geto Boys - We Can't be Stopped
Andre Nickatina - Conversation With the Devil
Mac Dre - Genie of the Lamp

Modern:
Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter II
Rick Ross - Port of Miami
Kanye West - Late Registration
Young Dro - Day One (mixtape)
Lil' Wayne - Dedication II (mixtape)
The Clipse - Lord Willin'
Juelz Santana - What the Game's Been Missing
Saigon - Warning Shots (mixtape)
Papoose - Election Day (mixtape)

Apocalyptic Raids 10-07-2006 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=The Runner;13401166]What are the best hip hop/rap albums that I should check out?[/QUOTE]
Public Enemy are a good place to start. Try [I]It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back[/I] or [I]Fear of A Black Planet[/I].

The Runner 10-08-2006 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=raus;13401345]Is your title an AN reference?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and thanks for the recommendations. I've downloaded Illmatic and so far my favorite songs on it are [I]Life's a bitch[/I] and [I]It ain't hard to tell[/I]. I'll download some of the other albums tomorrow.

[I]"Life's a bitch and then you die; that's why we get high
Cause you never know when you're gonna go
Life's a bitch and then you die; that's why we puff lye
Cause you never know when you're gonna go"[/I]

I like those lyrics. :cool:

gaslight 10-08-2006 01:21 AM

[quote=The Runner;13401166]What are the best hip hop/rap albums that I should check out?[/quote]

My personal favourites are [I]High Plains Drifter[/I] by Jehst, [I]Biro Funk[/I] by Braintax, [I]Personal Journals[/I] by Sage Francis, [I]Almost A Dot On The Map[/I] by Sixtoo, and [i]Phrenology[/i] by The Roots.

raus 10-08-2006 01:27 AM

[QUOTE=gaslight;13402244]My personal favourites are [I]High Plains Drifter[/I] by Jehst, [I]Biro Funk[/I] by Braintax, [I]Personal Journals[/I] by Sage Francis, [I]Almost A Dot On The Map[/I] by Sixtoo, and [i]Phrenology[/i] by The Roots.[/QUOTE]looooooooooooooool

gaslight 10-08-2006 02:01 AM

loool to you to.

bleep_bloop 10-08-2006 03:00 AM

Damn raus stop making fun of what people listen to.

raus 10-08-2006 03:07 AM

No.

Rams 10-08-2006 03:14 AM

[QUOTE=raus;13401345]
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous[/QUOTE]

Someone (Premo? Diamond D?) should remix this CD. Nothing is worse than an excellent MC being wasted with ****ty production. The opposite works (see: Group Home) but without a decent backing it seldom works. D.I.T.C. crew for life.

Get the Anti-pop Consortium album with Matthew Shipp. It's fun and weird.

raus 10-08-2006 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=Rams;13402542]Someone (Premo? Diamond D?) should remix this CD. Nothing is worse than an excellent MC being wasted with ****ty production. The opposite works (see: Group Home) but without a decent backing it seldom works. D.I.T.C. crew for life.

Get the Anti-pop Consortium album with Matthew Shipp. It's fun and weird.[/QUOTE]It's not spectacular, but it works well enough. Grimey.

LF96 10-08-2006 04:24 AM

Some more classics, in the same vein as Illmatic:

Common - Resurrection
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (better than The Low End Theory production-wise)
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising; De La Soul is Dead
O.C. - Word... Life (a forgotten gem)
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

Oh, and I wouldn't bother to check out the stuff Raus listed in the "modern" section, most of those albums are absolute crap.

raus 10-08-2006 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=LF96;13402716]Some more classics, in the same vein as Illmatic:

Common - Resurrection
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (better than The Low End Theory production-wise)
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising; De La Soul is Dead
O.C. - Word... Life (a forgotten gem)
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

Oh, and I wouldn't bother to check out the stuff Raus listed in the "modern" section, most of those albums are absolute crap.[/QUOTE]Says the guy who thinks Mos Def and and Common are "classics" and only seems to listen to backpack rap.

Eliminator 10-08-2006 08:59 AM

i'm a business, [I]man[/I]

Apocalyptic Raids 10-08-2006 09:21 AM

backpack rap?