Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

Robert Crumb 09-28-2006 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=ArrestThisMan;13346408]You guys need to check out Louis Logic immediatly. Seriously amazing MC.[/QUOTE]

He does seem like a pretty decent dude. He put out a solo album or something this year, right?

antiant 09-28-2006 11:10 PM

i just recently picked up scarface "the last of a dying breed" i use to have the double disc "my homies" until it got stolen :( i prefer this "brand of south" hip hop/rap compared to todays so called standards, which is a mess imo at any rate, anyone care for scarface?

Rams 09-29-2006 12:58 AM

Scarface is one of the best. [I]The Fix[/I] is a top notch album.

sgrevs 09-29-2006 01:52 AM

Elaborate on Scarface for me please? sounds interesting. any comparisons? and also Louis Logic.

Octatron3030 09-29-2006 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13348849]Elaborate on Scarface for me please? sounds interesting. any comparisons? and also Louis Logic.[/QUOTE]

He's in the Geto Boys, He's really good at story telling kind of like Biggie not the same style or anything both are just really good at telling a story.

We_Love_Lime 09-29-2006 07:14 AM

I heard Scarface - My Block, and I'd whore that song out in the fifth grade.

And Smile.

Robert Crumb 09-29-2006 11:04 AM

I don't own any Scarface, it's been a long time since I've heard his solo stuff. My brother used to love him though. I cry a little on inside whenever I think about how he sold [I]all[/I] his hip-hop albums before it became feasible for me to steal them and rip them to computer.

Kaden 09-29-2006 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=JonM;13347929]The content doesn't do it for you?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, there are some songs where I think what he's saying is awesome, then there are other songs where it's just like the most basic rhymes ever (I don't know how to start, you were my heart, etc.). I won't pass judgement on it yet, cause it's obviously more meaning-based rap than sound-based, much like Common who took a long time to grow on me.

Rams 09-29-2006 01:13 PM

Does anyone have Edan's [I]Primitive Plus[/I] and willing to upload it to the mailing list? I've been digging his [I]Beaty & The Beat[/I] more and more over the past month. He does a great job incorporating Mr. Lif, Insight, and Percee P into it.

JonM 09-29-2006 03:01 PM

[quote=Kaden;13349937]I dunno, there are some songs where I think what he's saying is awesome, then there are other songs where it's just like the most basic rhymes ever (I don't know how to start, you were my heart, etc.). I won't pass judgement on it yet, cause it's obviously more meaning-based rap than sound-based, much like Common who took a long time to grow on me.[/quote]Fair enough. I know what you're saying about the basic flow at times, but part of the reason I think this album is so ingenious is precisely that Grimm didn't subordinate his content to his technique. When the feeling he's trying to express is very basic, he says it basically. It's heartfelt, you know?

I guess it depends what you're looking for in the record. To me, Grimm doesn't need to prove himself technically as a rapper, because he's a world-renowned battler, his old albums and many of the tracks on the new one are delivered with blinding skill, and, I mean, dude wrote the rhymes on [i]The Chronic[/i], know what I'm sayin? But for a listener for whom technical skill is extremely important, I guess it's true that Grimm lets it lag sometimes.

I just think there's something to be said for delivering a simple feeling in simple language, not dressing it up to impress.

antiant 09-29-2006 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=Octatron3030;13348989]He's in the Geto Boys, He's really good at story telling kind of like Biggie not the same style or anything both are just really good at telling a story.[/QUOTE]
yeah that's one thing i love about scarface is his story telling, he does it in a way where you see a different perspective and he doesn't come off as being "too preachy" either, his voice is distinctive, i've never heard him in the geto boys although i kno he came from that group, i'm going to have to someday get some geto boys and see how they may compare or how it's different...but yeah scarface is great, i'm probably going to try and get all his albums, just to get a better feel of his music, but scarface is just some good solid hip hop/rap imo :)

as far as the comparisons i wouldn't really know, he's kind of his own thing in a way

Kaden 09-29-2006 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=JonM;13350620]Fair enough. I know what you're saying about the basic flow at times, but part of the reason I think this album is so ingenious is precisely that Grimm didn't subordinate his content to his technique. When the feeling he's trying to express is very basic, he says it basically. It's heartfelt, you know?

I guess it depends what you're looking for in the record. To me, Grimm doesn't need to prove himself technically as a rapper, because he's a world-renowned battler, his old albums and many of the tracks on the new one are delivered with blinding skill, and, I mean, dude wrote the rhymes on [i]The Chronic[/i], know what I'm sayin? But for a listener for whom technical skill is extremely important, I guess it's true that Grimm lets it lag sometimes.

I just think there's something to be said for delivering a simple feeling in simple language, not dressing it up to impress.[/QUOTE]

I will say this much, I'm listening to the 3rd disc right now and every song is awesome so far.

raus 09-29-2006 11:56 PM

What mixtapes are you all digging lately? Any reccomendations?

Young Dro - Day One
Saigon - Warning Shots
Lil' Wayne - Dedication 2
Lil' Wayne and Juelz Santana - I Can't Feel My Face
Raekwon - The DaVinci Code: The Vatican Mixtape 2
40 Cal. - Trigger Happy

Eliminator 09-29-2006 11:57 PM

people still buy mixtapes?

raus 09-30-2006 12:00 AM

I'm assuming you understand I don't mean literal mixtapes.

I download them.

Eliminator 09-30-2006 12:01 AM

why not call them mix .mp3s?

raus 09-30-2006 12:02 AM

Because they're called mixtapes. I don't mean this in a snobbish way, but do you know what a mixtape is?

Eliminator 09-30-2006 12:05 AM

i'm assuming it has to do with phonographs

raus 09-30-2006 12:10 AM

I'm no good at explaining things, so me telling you probably wouldn't clear anything up. It's something that's not an official CD (not a necessarily a bootleg) that usually has remixes, freestyles, unreleased songs, songs that are gonna be on the next CD, and lots of DJs yelling and talking and stuff.

Eliminator 09-30-2006 12:11 AM

thanks for the info duddudududude

antiant 09-30-2006 01:11 AM

for more info on scarface you can read about him here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarface_(rapper)[/url] damn@not making records anymore, eh they all say that and then come out of retirement, just like jay-z and too short, will just have to see if this tends to be one of those cases and as i said earlier, scarface is a pretty solid rapper, i didn't know he had 10 solo albums out though, wow, i thought it was 3/4 at best

raus 09-30-2006 01:14 AM

[QUOTE=antiant;13354037]for more info on scarface you can read about him here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarface_(rapper)[/url] damn@not making records anymore, eh they all say that and then come out of retirement, just like jay-z and too short, will just have to see if this tends to be one of those cases and as i said earlier, scarface is a pretty solid rapper, i didn't know he had 10 solo albums out though, wow, i thought it was 3/4 at best[/QUOTE]
His verses on Mind Playin Tricks are some of the best lyrically I've ever heard.

He owns a black hat like I own
A black suit and a cane like my own

antiant 09-30-2006 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=raus;13354048]His verses on Mind Playin Tricks are some of the best lyrically I've ever heard.
[/QUOTE]
yeah even his lyrics on "ma homies" is pretty good imo, there's a lot of examples you can use just for his lyrics alone, i didn't know he worked in the background like that as far as the whole def jam south label was concerned and ludacris, you learn something new everyday

JonM 09-30-2006 11:42 AM

[quote=raus;13353609]Lil' Wayne - Dedication 2[/quote]
I've been spinnin this one all the time. I'm gonna have to get that Raekwon tape.

Lately my favorite mixtapes have been:
Wu-Tang Killa Bees - [i]The Swarm, Vol. 1[/i]
Da Backwudz - [i]Major Takeover[/i]
Goodie Mob - [i]Nuttin But Dat G[/i]
RZA - [i]The Formula For The Cure[/i]

Rams 09-30-2006 11:49 AM

DJ Z-trip & DJ P's [I]Uneasy Listening, Volume 1[/I] is the best mixtape I have heard. Instead of just rehashing rap beats over and over again they use a bunch of rock tunes and famous movie tones (The Warriors theme song anyone?). Kind of strange to hear the Beastie Boys going over Rush's "Tom Sawyer" but that's the nature of the biz.

raus 09-30-2006 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Rams;13355442]DJ Z-trip & DJ P's [I]Uneasy Listening, Volume 1[/I] is the best mixtape I have heard. Instead of just rehashing rap beats over and over again they use a bunch of rock tunes and famous movie tones (The Warriors theme song anyone?). Kind of strange to hear the Beastie Boys going over Rush's "Tom Sawyer" but that's the nature of the biz.[/QUOTE]
I love Rush, who else is on it?

Robert Crumb 09-30-2006 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=raus;13353609]Lil' Wayne - Dedication 2
Raekwon - The DaVinci Code: The Vatican Mixtape 2
[/QUOTE]

This and this. And, though it's not really a mixtape, Custom Made's [I]Sidewalk Mindtalk[/I], which is a comp. of some of their earlier mixtapes. Some decent tunes, nothing really that special but it's cool to hear the SoCal dudes do it. They always flew under my radar so it's also nice to not have to do the leg work and dig through their older stuff.

antiant 09-30-2006 04:05 PM

hmm mixtapes i kinda like are mostly bay area...

1. Kaz Kyzah - The Go-Fessional, it's somewhat comical as well and it's free if anyone wants it [url]http://www.bigvon.com/[/url] kaz kyzah is part of the group called "the team"
2. The Bay Area Mixtape 2 - Independence Day

Track List:

01 - Soldiers Of Fortune (Featuring Mr. Kee, Balance & Mr. F.A.B.) - The Bay.mp3
02 - The Federation (Featuring E-40, Keak Da Sneak, San Quinn & Turf Talk) - Hyphy (Remix).mp3
03 - The Dope Game - Town Bizness.mp3
04 - Team - On One.mp3
05 - Mac Dre - Get Stupid.mp3
06 - Messy Marv - In Front Of The Building.mp3
07 - Yukmouth - Game Ova (Game Dis).mp3
08 - Ya Boy - 16's Wit Me.mp3
09 - E-A-Ski & CMT - My Bad.mp3
10 - The Federation - Donkey.mp3
11 - Frontline (Featuring Balance) - Let's Go.mp3
12 - MR. KEE - Cali Clap.mp3
13 - Turf Talk (Featuring The Mossie) - Do The Robot.mp3
14 - Mac Dre - Feelin' Myself.mp3
15 - San Quinn - Northern California.mp3
16 - Laroo Tha Hard Hitta - Outro.mp3
17 - Team (Featuring DJ Juice) - On One (Remix).mp3
18 - Casual (Featuring DJ Juice) - Oaktown.mp3

Robert Crumb 09-30-2006 04:12 PM

That one looks cool. I wish I was better at keeping up with these things. Mixtapes can be pretty fun.

raus 09-30-2006 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=antiant;13356753]hmm mixtapes i kinda like are mostly bay area...

1. Kaz Kyzah - The Go-Fessional, it's somewhat comical as well and it's free if anyone wants it [url]http://www.bigvon.com/[/url] kaz kyzah is part of the group called "the team"
2. The Bay Area Mixtape 2 - Independence Day

Track List:

01 - Soldiers Of Fortune (Featuring Mr. Kee, Balance & Mr. F.A.B.) - The Bay.mp3
02 - The Federation (Featuring E-40, Keak Da Sneak, San Quinn & Turf Talk) - Hyphy (Remix).mp3
03 - The Dope Game - Town Bizness.mp3
04 - Team - On One.mp3
05 - Mac Dre - Get Stupid.mp3
06 - Messy Marv - In Front Of The Building.mp3
07 - Yukmouth - Game Ova (Game Dis).mp3
08 - Ya Boy - 16's Wit Me.mp3
09 - E-A-Ski & CMT - My Bad.mp3
10 - The Federation - Donkey.mp3
11 - Frontline (Featuring Balance) - Let's Go.mp3
12 - MR. KEE - Cali Clap.mp3
13 - Turf Talk (Featuring The Mossie) - Do The Robot.mp3
14 - Mac Dre - Feelin' Myself.mp3
15 - San Quinn - Northern California.mp3
16 - Laroo Tha Hard Hitta - Outro.mp3
17 - Team (Featuring DJ Juice) - On One (Remix).mp3
18 - Casual (Featuring DJ Juice) - Oaktown.mp3[/QUOTE]Do you have Yukmouth's Million Dollar Mixtape?