Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

shane italian 10-30-2005 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=something vague]I don't particularly like the Houston/Southern Scene, at all.[/QUOTE]You generally have to be from the area.

halfdeadhippo 10-30-2005 04:47 PM

I'll just throw out my list of favorites, in case anybody cares to read it:

Aesop Rock
Atmosphere
Cypress Hill
Illogic
Jurassic 5

LF96 10-31-2005 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=conniption]Anyone here dig Binary Star?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Masters of the Universe is a classic in my eyes. Very dope album, pick it up if you can, cause it's pretty rare...

Robert Crumb 10-31-2005 08:21 PM

I haven't heard any Binary Star yet, but OneManArmy/One Be Lo is pretty darn good.

antiant 11-01-2005 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]I haven't heard any Binary Star yet, but OneManArmy/One Be Lo is pretty darn good.[/QUOTE]
ditto@binary star, but i've been hearing a lot about "one be lo" being good so i guess i'll have to check that one out and see for myself, i wonder if one be lo compares to anyone mentioned already

antiant 11-01-2005 12:18 PM

also there's saukrates, roy jones jr. (lmfao jk w/ roy jones, it was quite funny when he came out with his album tho...*sings* yall must've forgot...comedy at its finest, especially the video hahahaha), royce da 5'9, pharoh monch, pete rock etc

dUSK 11-01-2005 01:00 PM

I liked the couple of Roy Jones songs I heard. That was a few years ago though, I don't even think I still have them.

Pharoah Monch is cool as well. Aside from his solo stuff, there was a song he did with Styles P that I also used to think was awesome.

antiant 11-01-2005 01:18 PM

Roy should just stick to boxing that's his only forte, as far as him rapping, it's really a joke LOL brings to mind the million other people who have tried different "career paths" or secretly said they enjoyed "acting" and "singing" besides whatever else they do...albeit there are a few success stories he just isn't one imo...it's great comedy if you want a laugh...and now we have 50 cent "acting"...hooray! for the tired old rag to riches story, such a cliche...8 mile anybody? anyways back to the topic i suppose...

edit: lmao remember kobe bryants rapping career (if you called it that) and let's not forget shaq attack and his "i dream of genie" movie and rap "career" hahahaha ok i need to stop, before i ruin the thread

Superstition 11-01-2005 05:51 PM

Pharoahe Monch is one of my favourite emcees. So criminally overlooked in every aspect.

antiant 11-01-2005 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=Superstition]Pharoahe Monch is one of my favourite emcees. So criminally overlooked in every aspect.[/QUOTE]
wasn't he or did he have another album out? the track i heard was "agent orange" it's been awhile since i've been up on that anybody know?

Zesty Mordant 11-01-2005 08:35 PM

has anyone heard the new Outkast song, "Rats and Roaches"?

It's not bad, kinda sounds like something from [I]Aquemini [/I] and I'm sure it'll be catchy after a few more listens. It's cool to see them rapping on the same song together again though.

BillCosby 11-01-2005 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=Zesty Mordant]has anyone heard the new Outkast song, "Rats and Roaches"?

It's not bad, kinda sounds like something from [I]Aquemini [/I] and I'm sure it'll be catchy after a few more listens. It's cool to see them rapping on the same song together again though.[/QUOTE]

I was not aware they had a new song...

Any way I could..

perhaps...

recieve this song...

from..

anyone...

(aim: stalktheground13)

Superstition 11-02-2005 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=antiant]wasn't he or did he have another album out? the track i heard was "agent orange" it's been awhile since i've been up on that anybody know?[/QUOTE]
No albums since the Internal Affairs LP, but he's been dropping 12'' singles and doing features periodically since Rawkus folded. I'll see about uploading a couple of them. The new album (which was finished years ago) has been perpetually-delayed, and as far as I know he's still looking for a label to put it out on. There were rumours circulating about him signing to Shady Records about a year ago, but they were denied and now there's a very persistent rumour about him signing to Kon Artist (of D-12)'s imprint.

I just want the new album dammit :upset:

ATM 11-02-2005 08:36 AM

Pharoah Monch is playing a show near me with Jean Grae, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli. I'll probably go.

JonM 11-02-2005 08:43 AM

Talib and Mos Def are coming here this winter, and you know I'll be there. It's not being billed as a Black Star gig, but you know they'll play the highlights.

Robert Crumb 11-02-2005 01:05 PM

They came here but I couldn't go because it was $40 and I'm a po' boy.

I heard that there was a new Outkast song but I haven't heard it yet. The soundtrack to their film is supposed to be coming out in Dec. I think. [I]Idlewild[/I] something or other.

JonM 11-02-2005 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]They came here but I couldn't go because it was $40 and I'm a po' boy.

I heard that there was a new Outkast song but I haven't heard it yet. The soundtrack to their film is supposed to be coming out in Dec. I think. [I]Idlewild[/I] something or other.[/QUOTE]

Yup. And I'm gonna be in ATL when it drops.

BillCosby 11-02-2005 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=JonM]Talib and Mos Def are coming here this winter, and you know I'll be there. It's not being billed as a Black Star gig, but you know they'll play the highlights.[/QUOTE]

They're here this weekend, but it's 40 (!) bucks... :/

JonM 11-02-2005 08:58 PM

Are you f[size=2]u[/size]cking kidding me?

BillCosby 11-02-2005 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=JonM]Are you f[size=2]u[/size]cking kidding me?[/QUOTE]

That's what I said.

Iai 11-03-2005 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Superstition]Pharoahe Monch is one of my favourite emcees. So criminally overlooked in every aspect.[/QUOTE]
Hell yes. More people need to know about Organized Konfusion.

Superstition 11-03-2005 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Slug]Pharoah Monch is playing a show near me with Jean Grae, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli. I'll probably go.[/QUOTE]
With that lineup, if you don't go you should delete your existence :lol:

Zesty Mordant 11-03-2005 04:19 PM

I was listening to [I]God Loves Ugly[/I] today and I forgot how much it rocked.

AA-12 11-03-2005 05:16 PM

I need to get into people similiar to Sage Francis.

Suggestions?

Arucard 11-03-2005 05:16 PM

Hi guys, im very new to rap and hip/hop but Ray kindly directed me here. I like Aesop Rock, Deltron 3000 and some Kanye.

Any ideas for me?

NP : Aesop Rock - Daylight

Daniel! 11-03-2005 08:18 PM

Are any of you guys Michael Franti fans? I think he's fantastic.

/first post in this thread

antiant 11-03-2005 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=Daniel!]Are any of you guys Michael Franti fans? I think he's fantastic.

/first post in this thread[/QUOTE]
yes, i like michael franti's stuff and spearhead ;) ROCK THE NATION!

antiant 11-03-2005 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Necronomicon]I need to get into people similiar to Sage Francis.

Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Saul Williams is the closet i can think of as of right now [URL="http://www.saulwilliams.com/"]http://www.saulwilliams.com/[/URL] and you might want to try Ursula Rucker as well [URL="http://www.ursula-rucker.com/index2.html"]http://www.ursula-rucker.com/index2.html[/URL] they're both ABSOLUTELY AMAZING :D oh yeah and if you've ever heard "the roots" you've heard ursula rucker's voice before

antiant 11-03-2005 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=Zesty Mordant]I was listening to [I]God Loves Ugly[/I] today and I forgot how much it rocked.[/QUOTE]
are you aware of Atmosphere's latest release? "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having" ? and yes God Loves Ugly is great along with Lucy Ford, Outcast etc

Zesty Mordant 11-03-2005 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]are you aware of Atmosphere's latest release? "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having" ? and yes God Loves Ugly is great along with Lucy Ford, Outcast etc[/QUOTE]

yeah, I forgot about that actually. I'm debating whether or not to check out as I wasn't really a big fan of [I]Seven's Travels[/I].