Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Jam Sessions community thread! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286952)

Trigger_003 09-14-2005 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=god_hates_us_all]Haha.

What do you mean "strong tags"?[/QUOTE]
/shall explain css etc to you on msn. Unless Chris feels like it, that is.

Haha, today's Italian lesson consisted of me getting something wrong (horribly) and it getting rubbed in by one of my mates for most of the day.

So to anyone who ever has the idea of using the Oxford Italian Pocket Dictionary to use the word "excited"...
We had to write a journal entry about a trip to Rome and in it I said "Tyler was excited. It was his first time in Rome."
Because I didn't know the word for excited, I looked it up in the dictionary and put it into the sentence. Today I had it explained to me (loudly and with much laughing from the teacher) that the word I'd used was meant in a sexual context. After he'd explained this to the class, of course, he had to read out the section as "Tyler was excited. It was his first time...".

Aes820 09-14-2005 05:23 AM

Strong tags (in replacment of Bold tags) and em tags (in replacment of Italic tags) seem to be the way to do things now days.
They are more accessable. As in, a screen readers reads and browsers render strong and em tags as emphasised items. Whereas B and I tags are more just visual cues.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-14-2005 08:16 PM

:lol: @ Trea!

[QUOTE=Aes820]Strong tags (in replacment of Bold tags) and em tags (in replacment of Italic tags) seem to be the way to do things now days.
They are more accessable. As in, a screen readers reads and browsers render strong and em tags as emphasised items. Whereas B and I tags are more just visual cues.[/QUOTE]
Oh, okay.

So, instead of <b> it should be <strong>? Or what? Sorry :upset:.

Anyway, are you mod of this section? If so could you [i]please[/i] change the "Music Theory Tread" to the "Music Theory Thread", it's driving me insane! :lol:

Aes820 09-14-2005 08:31 PM

Yeah. <strong>this is emphasised</strong>.

I'm not an official mod of this section. But I am a super and will be able to change that for you.

Tyler's trip to rome must've been on a Contiki Tour, those can get kind of wild.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-14-2005 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Yeah. <strong>this is emphasised</strong>.

I'm not an official mod of this section. But I am a super and will be able to change that for you.

Tyler's trip to rome must've been on a Contiki Tour, those can get kind of wild.[/QUOTE]
You're super? Awesome.

And thanks for changing it, :D

moaner 09-15-2005 06:37 AM

[strong]I think i might've got the wrong idea somewhere[/strong]

[em]oh well.[/em]

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-15-2005 07:40 AM

Hey Moaner.

What's up?

moaner 09-15-2005 09:24 AM

not much, I'ma go work in a few minutes

because our tesco hasn't opened up yet i fear i'll be stacking shelves, not swiping at checkouts

I'm a bit annoyerd iwth tesco actually, I'll have a rant later

KKKKKocaine 09-15-2005 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]not much, I'ma go work in a few minutes

because our tesco hasn't opened up yet i fear i'll be stacking shelves, not swiping at checkouts

I'm a bit annoyerd iwth tesco actually, I'll have a rant later[/QUOTE]

I don't think you are allowed to work checkouts till 18, or something like that. Under the basis that because you're not 18 then you must have a unstoppable urge to steal money.
Oh I worked out how to sort that firewire thing out, the firepods just connect themselves together.

gaz12369 09-15-2005 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]I don't think you are allowed to work checkouts till 18, or something like that. Under the basis that because you're not 18 then you must have a unstoppable urge to steal money.[/QUOTE]

Nah i don't think thats the case, because i know people who work for Tesco's and are on checkouts, and im starting a job next week in Somerfield and i'll be on checkout. Just pester the managers to let you on checkout, or come in with a back brace on and tell them you had a suspicious accident with a rather large car/box/cat, and hopefuly they wont ask for a doctors note :naughty:

Good luck for the job, Tesco pay well :thumb:

Gaz

KKKKKocaine 09-15-2005 02:59 PM

Woo Woo.
It's the buying things train!

Jan = I get 4500 minimum.
Combine this with,
A. Christmas about 15 days before
B. My Birthday on the 11th of Jan.

And it equals the following.

A Mac Mini
2 Presonus Firepods = 16 XLRS with phantom power simultanious into the mac.
A Behringer 8 way headphone Amp.
Behringer Active Truth Monitors
6 Random enclosed headphones.
1 Rode NT1A.
2 T-bone SM57 copies
1 T-bone SM58 beta copy
1 Sennheiser 606a
1 Samson Q drum mic kit (2 pencil condenser overheads, 2 tom mics, 1 snare mic, kick mic)

About 4 boom mic stands.
2 mini boom stands
A heap of XLRS and jack cables and mic stand mounds.
And Logic Express 7 to top it off.
Should be a nice set up.

Might get a few mic upgrades in the coming months as well. Mebbe an AKG D112.

moaner 09-15-2005 04:03 PM

I am absolutely legally allowed on checkouts.

however, since the store isn't open i'm unable to work my specifically allocated hours (managers not around and stuff) and yet they're insisting I owe them hours for the time they wouldn't let me work. wankers.

on top of that, i spent 4 hours doing jack **** except pissing around on the till.

KKKKKocaine 09-15-2005 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=moaner]I am absolutely legally allowed on checkouts.

however, since the store isn't open i'm unable to work my specifically allocated hours (managers not around and stuff) and yet they're insisting I owe them hours for the time they wouldn't let me work. wankers.

on top of that, i spent 4 hours doing jack **** except pissing around on the till.[/QUOTE]

What bastards. That's their fault not yours.

moaner 09-15-2005 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]What bastards. That's their fault not yours.[/QUOTE]

heads, brick walls, there's not a lot I can do.

I'm so tempted to go visit 10th egg studios of yourk now I've checked them out.

Stick my numerous armfuls of gear on the train and get myself down there :lol:

I'd need roadies... :s

KKKKKocaine 09-15-2005 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=moaner]
[/QUOTE]

Only to be locked in a cage by an evil paedophile at the end of your journey.
Welcome to Yorkshire.

gaz12369 09-15-2005 05:28 PM

:eek::eek: £4500! bloody hell!

[QUOTE]2 T-bone SM57 copies[/QUOTE]

OOOO i forgot to give a review of these. in a few words, yeah, their not bad. maaaybe not *as* good as a real one, but they sound good to me. I'll dig some songs out for you tomorrow, but i got good results from them.

[QUOTE]A Behringer 8 way headphone Amp.[/QUOTE]
Off the top of my head, and im a little drunk, but i believe the Samson Audio headphone amp is a bit better feature wise. I think you can have a choice of 5 inputs, its worth checking out!

[QUOTE]Behringer Active Truth Monitors[/QUOTE]
I assume your on Thomann, because your looking at T-bones, so have a look at "The Box NF06A's". £99, 100watts, active, bargain. worth a look aswell.

[QUOTE]on top of that, i spent 4 hours doing jack **** except pissing around on the till. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but don't worry, its kinda free money, so its all good:D, at the rate your on, thats almost £20 for doing nothing!!:eek:

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-16-2005 06:08 AM

Hey all.

Trigger_003 09-16-2005 06:29 AM

Hey Gav... why the name change?

EmergencyRoom 09-16-2005 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]heads, brick walls, there's not a lot I can do.

I'm so tempted to go visit 10th egg studios of yourk now I've checked them out.

I'd need roadies... :s[/QUOTE]

I worked in Asda and you are allowed to work checkouts if you're under 18 but can't put alcohol through the tills. Due to the problems that this causes, most supermarkets tend not to allow you on the tills unless you're 18. :thumb:

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-16-2005 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Trigger_003]Hey Gav... why the name change?[/QUOTE]
I grew tired of the constant "hey, God [i]doesn't[/i] hate us all!" remarks.

Also, as of late, my passion for classical piano has eclipsed my love of metal music.

KKKKKocaine 09-16-2005 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=gaz12369]
OOOO i forgot to give a review of these. in a few words, yeah, their not bad. maaaybe not *as* good as a real one, but they sound good to me. I'll dig some songs out for you tomorrow, but i got good results from them.
[/QUOTE]

Kewl, let me know when you get some soundclips up!

[QUOTE]Off the top of my head, and im a little drunk, but i believe the Samson Audio headphone amp is a bit better feature wise. I think you can have a choice of 5 inputs, its worth checking out![/QUOTE]

I need 6 minimum, I'm a greedy sod :p

[QUOTE]I assume your on Thomann, because your looking at T-bones, so have a look at "The Box NF06A's". £99, 100watts, active, bargain. worth a look aswell.[/QUOTE]

Kewls, I hadn't seen that.
Tah brah.

moaner 09-16-2005 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Diatonic Dissonance™]
...[/QUOTE]

catchy.

K, wtf is "tah brah"?

The bra?

KKKKKocaine 09-16-2005 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]catchy.

K, wtf is "tah brah"?

The bra?[/QUOTE]

How dare you insult my African heritage.
You're dissing my crew!
:angry:
*caps you*

Tah Brah is some random African slang for 'Thanks Brother'

gaz12369 09-16-2005 10:19 AM

[QUOTE]I need 6 minimum, I'm a greedy sod [/QUOTE]
Haha woops i ment SM Pro Audio :upset:

[URL=http://www.smproaudio.com/HP6.htm]http://www.smproaudio.com/HP6.htm[/URL]

It's got 4 mix inputs, and 6 headphone outs.

The Behringer one only has two mix inputs, but has direct in's on each amp channel and 8 channels. Depends what you want really, but if you can get away with just 6, id be tempted to get the SM Pro one, because you could make different monitor mixes for each listener.

gaz12369 09-16-2005 10:34 AM

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/theintergalacticwarhero ]http://www.myspace.com/theintergalacticwarhero [/URL]

This is my mates myspace, I recorded the song "Convincing Mental Health Patients" (the 2nd one down) for him. The only part thats really recorded with the 57 copy is some of the heavy bit. I recorded that bit with 3 mic's. The 57 straight at the speaker, a Shure 58 off axis on the other speaker, and the T.bone Retro Jr as a room mic.

All the other parts of the song were recorded with the Retro Jr.

Yeah, there's too much reverb on the vocals aswell, but it was my first real recording, so its all good. I wanted it to sound like it was sung in an empty hospital, so it sounded allright, but listening back on it it was a bit much.

Gaz

airborne50caliber 09-16-2005 11:05 AM

why an empty hostipal..?

gaz12369 09-16-2005 11:28 AM

Its called Convincing Mental Health Patients... so it fits. Just wanted quite an empty feel to it

moaner 09-16-2005 02:53 PM

My team leader (one of the ones I don't like that much, the one who was trying to convince me to skip 6th form to go to a training day) let me off work 3 hours early today, and the bakery gave my a load of free rbead. I took 4 ciabatta, a baguette, a while loaf and a crust roll.

Good times.

KKKKKocaine 09-22-2005 03:11 AM

Woo!
The budget has changed :p I'm too pedantic.

I've now decided something though, originally the studio was just going to be for recording my band and a few other local bands to make some extra cash.
Seen as my budgets increased and I'm the quality of the mics are going up, I'm going to take the following plan.

Jan - I get all the gear. Set it up, take time to accustom myself to using it all. Bring my band over and we'll just try and put down a couple of songs so I can get used to using the gear in a recording situation.
I'll continue tinkering with it, with various instruments at my house.

Then later on I've got a list of a few bands who I'm going to do a few recordings for free with. 3 or so tracks so I can get more experience with the set up and how it's best used.

Then I'm becoming self employed and running the mobile studio full time :)
I figure with the mics I've got, my Sgt. Pepper philosophy* and the pricing**

*That the Beatles recorded with an 8 track. And that in the present date, my gear should outclass theirs. Thus, if I learn to use it well. I can get fantastic results easily.

** I want to aim for £20 a song. Considering I'm living with my parents and don't have to pay rent or buy food. This'll be more than good enough to start with as,
1. It undercuts any remotely decent competition. My closest price competitors would be a local studio charging £25 a track. Who won't be able to match my quality or service***.

2. I can outmatch the above studio on equipment. They don't even have a headphone amp.

3. I'll also be tentatively exploring the cd printing market. Albeit at a small level. (50 or so copies maximum) as I'll be running it off a single printer. So I'll be at about 17 colour jewel case inserts and back inserts a minute. And about 34 cd's a minute. It doesn't sound like long, but when you have to put things together by hand, trust me it is :p.

4. I'm also considering expansion into the following areas. Video production and P.A. hire. My advantage in these areas would once again be pricing and quality of service.

So basicly, I'm completely confident that by febuary, I can rape my competitors in the local area and provide bands with a releasable product for a low price.

*** Seen as it's mobile, that means alot of bands will be recording in practice rooms and thus paying two people. Me, and the practice room. Because of this, I intend to do all mixing at home unless the artist wants it doing in the session, to allow the artist the full session time to just record and not have to worry about mixing the tracks. This also means I can spend more time tweaking the tracks when I haven't just had my ears blasted for hours on end :)

So here's my updated budget, let me know what you think. I'd be open to reccomendations on the condenser front. I'm not entirely sure what I want to get for the condenser. I'd be looking for mostly a vocal mic.

Mics
X1 Sennheiser E606 (Guitar)
X 1 Sennheiser e609 – (Guitar)
AKG drumkit big* (Drums :rolleyes:)
Sennheiser E840s (Dynamic, vox)
Behringer XM8500 (Dynamic, Vox)
Audio Technica AT3060 (Condenser, Vox mostly)

* This is 1 AKG D112, 4 C418's, and 2 c1000S.

SM Audio HP6 (Headphone amp) <Thanks for reccomending this Gaz>

Monitoring
the box NF06 A (active monitor)
X6 Behringer HPS3000 (headphones)

Stands And Cables
X3 MILLENIUM MS-2002 (small boom stands)
X5 Millenium MS-2005 (regular boom stands)
X10 CORDIAL CCM 10 FM ( spare XLR's)
X5 CORDIAL CCI 3 PP (spare jack leads)
X2 t.bone MS180 (pop filters)

Mac Mini
X2 Presonus Firepod (16 XLR inputs in total, and 8 line-inputs)
Logic 7 Express
Western Digital WDXUL800BBNU Essential 80GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive

Printing
Canon Pixma iP4000R Wireless Printer

It comes to around £3,500.
So let me know what you think and any reccomendations.
Thanks guys :)

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-22-2005 06:02 AM

Sup all.