Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   any other death heads? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528770)

Stevie 07-11-2007 04:15 AM

[QUOTE=Jondur;14959983]I'm never sure whether you're just trolling or actually want to have a reasonable discussion.

For a start the question was originally about atmosphere and then you start asking about ambient. For me they are two totally different things. And I'll say straight up that there is no such thing as ambient death metal. It would be an oxymoron; like brutal gospel!

So if you want to know about atmospheric death metal then yes it should be defined first, so please do and then we can offer some suggestions.

The other recurring topic at the moment is production values. I think the major thing people (especially BRA - possibly because of the way audio engineering courses are taught) are missing is that production is all about taste and trends. From an audio engineering standpoint, productions from The Abyss with Peter Tangerine are excellent. However, to my ears they are awful - far too bright, far too compressed with no dynamics and awful drum sounds (that don't sound like drums). Fredrik Nordstrom on the other hand is much more to my tastes - darker with much more depth.

Put it this way, I think the production on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is better than the production on "Death Cult Armageddon".

Or if you want the analogy - modern productions are often like Budweiser: crisp, sharp but no depth.[/QUOTE]

Well put. "Badly" produced albums can be well produced, and what's important is the ability to hear everything that's going on, not like Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon which is badly produced, since there are many muffled spots. However a lot of norwegian second wave black metal was actually well produced - everything could be heard though the sound is rough.

Dargon II 07-11-2007 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=FatalEnergy;14959688]Just because everyone has recently blowing a load over LAEFS I'm going to listen to the demos before it, and try to think of clever ways to say that those are superior and u r all nubz[/QUOTE]
they are superior becuase the guitar tone isn't quite as fat and digitized.

[quote]Dargon,

I enjoy all those bands you listed in the rep, but not as much as Gorement.

What do you think of Internal Decay? They are another one of my favorites.[/quote]
I haven't heard them, I'll have a look though.

The best Incantation is Onward to Golgotha; everything they've done is worthwhile though.

Slapping Penguin 07-11-2007 07:41 AM

I saw an Incantion CD the other day. I was thinking about buying but deicided against it due to money and although hearing they are good, I think you fellas said bad things about Decimate Christainity.

Does anyone else here enjoy Crystal Age?

Apocalyptic Raids 07-11-2007 10:09 AM

[QUOTE]The best Incantation is Onward to Golgotha; everything they've done is worthwhile though.[/QUOTE]
that's the one I've got. I don't really remember it much, I never listened to them all that often.

pate 07-11-2007 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Jondur;14959983]
productions from The Abyss with Peter Tangerine are excellent. However, to my ears they are awful - far too bright, far too compressed with no dynamics and awful drum sounds (that don't sound like drums). Fredrik Nordstrom on the other hand is much more to my tastes - darker with much more depth.
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I don't like Tangerine's productions, but Fredrik's can be really good.

Poofy 666 07-11-2007 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Slapping Penguin]Does anyone else here enjoy Crystal Age?[/QUOTE]

[I]Far Beyond Divine Horizons[/I] is good. Some really neat riffs and ideas in there. My only complaint is their vocalist, he just doesn't fit the music very well. The Star Wars clip at the end of Fortune And Glory always cracks me up.

LegionsofMarduk 07-11-2007 01:15 PM

NP: Akercocke - Leviathan

and I guess...to give this some sort of on-topicness...production means very little. If it fits the music, it's good. I don't care if the mix is perfect, crisp and clear.

And Incantation is quite good.

Stevie 07-11-2007 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=LegionsofMarduk;14961301]NP: Akercocke - Leviathan

and I guess...to give this some sort of on-topicness...production means very little. If it fits the music, it's good. I don't care if the mix is perfect, crisp and clear.

And Incantation is quite good.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that anyone can truely not care about production. OK, whether you can hear all the elements, that is important, but there's I don't really accept that someone is "neutral" to production beyond this basic demand. There must be a production that effects you more than others?

Deathcrush 07-11-2007 02:26 PM

I think he meant that whether he can hear all the elements or not doesn't affect him; if they production fits, it fits.

If that is indeed what he was trying to say, I'd definately agree.

i am the robots 07-11-2007 02:29 PM

Production on Annihilation Of Expectation is perfect.

FatalEnergy 07-11-2007 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=Dargon II;14960175]they are superior becuase the guitar tone isn't quite as fat and digitized.[/QUOTE]

His vocals kill on the first demo, he should have kept that style.

Dargon II 07-11-2007 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;14961752]Production on Annihilation Of Expectation is perfect.[/QUOTE]
I considered going to google and looking that album up to see who it's by; then I realized that eleventeen posted it and I thought "bah forget that."

Squirrel 07-11-2007 03:20 PM

Its a Through the Eyes of the Dead/The Knife Trade split.

I've only heard the one song off it though.

i am the robots 07-11-2007 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Dargon II;14961999]I considered going to google and looking that album up to see who it's by; then I realized that eleventeen posted it and I thought "bah forget that."[/QUOTE]

I love how you don't even know the music I actually listen to, yet you ceaselessly bash it.

Squirrel 07-11-2007 03:36 PM

The dude is very insecure and feels the need to lash out anonymously. He's a very lonely, angry man who cant cope with his own emotions. Leave him be.

LegionsofMarduk 07-11-2007 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Deathcrush;14961737]I think he meant that whether he can hear all the elements or not doesn't affect him; if they production fits, it fits.

If that is indeed what he was trying to say, I'd definately agree.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's exactly what I meant.:thumb:

Dargon II 07-11-2007 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;14962109]I love how you don't even know the music I actually listen to, yet you ceaselessly bash it.[/QUOTE]
I know what it sounds like well enough to realize that it's complete kiddie bullshit. I don't have to study each and every UFO abduction claim to know that UFO abductions do not happen; similarly, I don't need to listen to every retarded singalong mallcore album to understand that mallcore is worthless horseshit.

and once again, Squirrel, you haven't posted here in days and then you pop up out of nowhere to start with your ridiculous Oprah Winfrey routine. AUS JUDEN.

Squirrel 07-11-2007 04:04 PM

I posted in here yesterday, starting a discussion about the new Cynic material.

But of course you'd think its all about you; your egocentricity is getting a hold of you, youve got to find other outlets for your rage other than trying to down-talk others over the internet.

Ask yourself this: does anything you do here, really improve your life?

Dargon II 07-11-2007 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;14962252]I posted in here yesterday, starting a discussion about the new Cynic material.[/QUOTE]
I see. Unfortunately new Cynic sucks so your contribution wasn't worthwhile anyways.

Squirrel 07-11-2007 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=Dargon II;14962259]I see. Unfortunately new Cynic sucks so your contribution wasn't worthwhile anyways.[/QUOTE]

Your mentality is terrible, it really is.

Theres 2 possible scenarios here:

1. Youre like this in real life too. In that case you are no doubt a complete shut in, introverted loner. Most likely a pervert also. You spend your time on the internet trying to get at the world by claiming superiority over others based entirely on your music TASTE. If you actually believe that how you act here is justified then you are one very very pathetic human being and you have been raised to be one messed up person.

2. You dont act like this in person, in which case you enjoy having some bizarre alter e-ego that you continue to milk even when its obvious is yields you no benefits. This hints that subconsciously youre displeased with yourself, your image and who you are as a person - so much so that creating a facade on the internet gives you pleasure and a passtime, more so than outside life can give you.

Dargon II 07-11-2007 04:11 PM

:lol:

Squirrel 07-11-2007 04:14 PM

Noteworthy also that when I made a point against you - damaging your internet hardman image - you ignored it as you had nothing to come back with. Instead you chose to lower to an insult in a rep comment. Very intelligent life-form we're dealing with here.

Also, rather than reply; counteracting or disproving my ideas, your only feasible reply is to post an emoticon. Maybe I hit a nerve here.

Deathcrush 07-11-2007 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;14962252]Ask yourself this: does anything you do here, really improve your life?[/QUOTE]

Does anything you do here really improve [I]your[/I] life?

Squirrel 07-11-2007 04:22 PM

Guitar forum helps with my guitaring yeah.

Politics forum is good for obvious reasons.

Pit is good for a laugh.

R+M good for hearing new bands now and then or just for a laugh. Same applies to this thread.

Yourself?

Deathcrush 07-11-2007 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;14962345]or just for a laugh[/QUOTE]

And you think Dargon doesn't enjoy making a complete fool out of you, and everyone else that takes his clearly provocative posts so seriously?

Stoic 07-11-2007 04:34 PM

Peace people. We're all going to die anyway :\

TojesDolan 07-11-2007 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Cocaine]He rarely shares.[/QUOTE]

lol

[QUOTE=Dargon]no, I don't, I don't give a **** about ambient. Now death metal on the other hand...[/QUOTE]

This post alone shows your level of mediocrity and entire idiocy.

Dargon II 07-11-2007 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=TojesDolan;14962509]lol

This post alone shows your level of mediocrity and entire idiocy.[/QUOTE]
every single post of yours is either inane spam, retarded trolling (as above), or, worst of all, completely unintelligible ramblings that bear absolutely no relation to either the topic of the thread or the discussion in the previous few posts. I don't know whether you have an actual mental handicap or whether you're just plain stupid; but either way you've more than amply marked yourself as an inferior specimen of humanity.

[quote]Very intelligent life-form we're dealing with here.[/quote]
It's funny you should mention that becuase my elitist attitude springs from two things;

1. my encyclopedic metal knowledge and my refined tastes
2. my extreme intelligence (my IQ is in the 99th percentile)

Even without metal, I'd still be infinitely superior to you and 99% of other people.

Also, I gave you that rep in the previous occasion because I didn't want to clog this thread up with fagg0try, which is what is happening now.

Deathcrush 07-11-2007 04:54 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, Dargon's already said it.

TojesDolan 07-11-2007 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=Dargon]every single post of yours is either inane spam, retarded trolling (as above), or, worst of all, completely unintelligible ramblings that bear absolutely no relation to either the topic of the thread or the discussion in the previous few posts. I don't know whether you have an actual mental handicap or whether you're just plain stupid; but either way you've more than amply marked yourself as an inferior specimen of humanity.[/QUOTE]

Oh you are so articulate, please don't hurt me with your vast vocabulary.

And yes, If I were you I'd reply according to what I called you out for. :)