Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Jam Sessions community thread! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286952)

Trigger_003 03-22-2005 03:11 PM

:thumb:

A web design place... it should be pretty sweet.

moaner 03-22-2005 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=Trigger_003]:thumb:

A web design place... it should be pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

I did mine at "Shell Global Solutions", some labs.

'twas awesome. Met a cool guy called Keithwho liked Hendrix...

Aes820 03-22-2005 03:37 PM

That's cool. I studied design for a couple of years. Most of that was digital and specfically web based.
It's been a few years now since. So somethings may have changed, but I guess alot of it will be the same.
I hope you enjoy it.

gaslight 03-23-2005 12:23 AM

My school didn't let us do Work Experience because they didn't want to cover the insurance of it. So we had Community Service week instead.

Good times.

Trigger_003 03-23-2005 01:07 AM

Thanks Chris :). I'd imagine a lot of what you used to do is still fine, there's just a whole heap of other extras on top of that and easier ways to do certain things.
You're kinda in the IT industry aren't you? I remember someone saying something about you being a programmer... what exactly do you do?

Man it's annoying. Lots of people are telling me not to get into (as a career choice)
a) music as it's a hard industry and
b) IT because it's changes so much.
Too bad they're my two favourite options at the moment...

That sucks that you couldn't do work experience, Mark.

Hey KKKKKocaine, did you decide on what you're doing with the whole to quit or not to quit your course deal?

gaslight 03-23-2005 01:22 AM

Matt :p.

Trigger_003 03-23-2005 01:33 AM

Haha sorry, I was talking to a Mark while I was writing that.

KKKKKocaine 03-23-2005 03:06 AM

[QUOTE=Trigger_003]
Man it's annoying. Lots of people are telling me not to get into (as a career choice)
a) music as it's a hard industry and
b) IT because it's changes so much.
Too bad they're my two favourite options at the moment...

That sucks that you couldn't do work experience, Mark.

Hey KKKKKocaine, did you decide on what you're doing with the whole to quit or not to quit your course deal?[/QUOTE]

I've decided to stay on the course.
Whilst what people tell you about the music industry is true, they forget to tell you how wide it is.
Your average Jo on the street thinks that the only people working in music are label owners and kylie minogue.
It's still a hard career but it's not so black and white in terms of options as people will tell you. I tried to find my music industry assignment in which I listed every job I could think of, but it's gone somewhere :(

In short though, if you want to do music or IT, analyse the workplace, work hard and ignore all the people who tell you otherwise.
Basicly, this isn't a small scale situation, this is planning for your entire life. You can either spend it doing what you enjoy, or what you hate :)

I just recieved two pictures of a topless lady, the only thing shielding her breasts was a small banner saying "Bandage These Hearts".
Cute, but not my girlfriend, and thus deleted.

moaner 03-23-2005 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]I've decided to stay on the course.
Whilst what people tell you about the music industry is true, they forget to tell you how wide it is.
Your average Jo on the street thinks that the only people working in music are label owners and kylie minogue.
It's still a hard career but it's not so black and white in terms of options as people will tell you. I tried to find my music industry assignment in which I listed every job I could think of, but it's gone somewhere :(

In short though, if you want to do music or IT, analyse the workplace, work hard and ignore all the people who tell you otherwise.
Basicly, this isn't a small scale situation, this is planning for your entire life. You can either spend it doing what you enjoy, or what you hate :)

I just recieved two pictures of a topless lady, the only thing shielding her breasts was a small banner saying "Bandage These Hearts".
Cute, but not my girlfriend, and thus deleted.[/QUOTE]

call yourself a frontman...

that is pretty rock n roll, but i guess if your chick found it she'd be pretty pissed off.

KKKKKocaine 03-23-2005 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]call yourself a frontman...

that is pretty rock n roll, but i guess if your chick found it she'd be pretty pissed off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I'll keep the drawing she did though.

[url]http://tinypic.com/2beb6o[/url]

moaner 03-23-2005 10:51 AM

so no affairs then?

KKKKKocaine 03-23-2005 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]so no affairs then?[/QUOTE]

Nein.
I just booked a gig for the 26th of august.
5KW PA.
Air conditioned stage.
6KW lighting rig.
Oodles of lighting effects.
Oodles of fancy mics.
Oh and 9 video cameras recording a live DVD of us.
Booshank.

moaner 03-23-2005 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]Nein.
I just booked a gig for the 26th of august.
5KW PA.
Air conditioned stage.
6KW lighting rig.
Oodles of lighting effects.
Oodles of fancy mics.
Oh and 9 video cameras recording a live DVD of us.
Booshank.[/QUOTE]

sheise... how much money down did they want for that?

KKKKKocaine 03-23-2005 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]sheise... how much money down did they want for that?[/QUOTE]

They just want us to bring along at least 25 people.
Which is a piece of cake.
No money, if we didn't want them to do the DVD they'd be paying us about 2 pounds per person.

gaslight 03-23-2005 02:28 PM

Air conditioned stage, nice.

moaner 03-23-2005 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]They just want us to bring along at least 25 people.
Which is a piece of cake.
No money, if we didn't want them to do the DVD they'd be paying us about 2 pounds per person.[/QUOTE]

what would they be paying you for?

You're a band, and you're young, you can't possibly deserve any money... :rolleyes:

Aes820 03-23-2005 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Trigger_003]Thanks Chris :). I'd imagine a lot of what you used to do is still fine, there's just a whole heap of other extras on top of that and easier ways to do certain things.
You're kinda in the IT industry aren't you? I remember someone saying something about you being a programmer... what exactly do you do?
[/QUOTE]
Yes. My official job title is an internet programmer.
I built and now I manage a couple of 100+ page Intranet websites for a nationwide organisation.
Because it is Intranet, I really can't do too much tricky stuff in the way of design. So I just stick to HTML and a bit of Javascript.
However most of my work is based around content management and content structure. While keeping a clean and profesional design.
Pretty much just making a user friendly website out of hundreds of mind-numbingly boring documents. But hey, I just manage them, I don't read them. :)

I wish you luck. And IT is great to get into. Even tho it does change a bit, the fundamentals stay the same. And if things change underneath you, then I don't think it'll take long to catch up.

Job security is never going to be assured. But If you are good at what you do then you should be right. I mean, even if you don't stay right up to date with the newer technology or processes as they come to hand, as long as you are good at what you do with what you can use, then you'll get a job easy.

Trigger_003 03-23-2005 03:32 PM

Hey thanks for the advice KKKKKocaine. I'm in that kind of mindset already, it was just getting me down that people are saying that I'm smart and I've got so many paths I could go down so why not take one that's more secure and will pay well?
Then again, a lot of people have said I'd be good, so I'll just concentrate on that. I've read that list before. It was good. Maybe the guys at Bridge The Gap still have it around somewhere.

Sounds good about the gig.

moaner 03-23-2005 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Yes. My official job title is an internet programmer.
I built and now I manage a couple of 100+ page Intranet websites for a nationwide organisation.
Because it is Intranet, I really can't do too much tricky stuff in the way of design. So I just stick to HTML and a bit of Javascript.
However most of my work is based around content management and content structure. While keeping a clean and profesional design.
Pretty much just making a user friendly website out of hundreds of mind-numbingly boring documents. But hey, I just manage them, I don't read them. :)

I wish you luck. And IT is great to get into. Even tho it does change a bit, the fundamentals stay the same. And if things change underneath you, then I don't think it'll take long to catch up.

Job security is never going to be assured. But If you are good at what you do then you should be right. I mean, even if you don't stay right up to date with the newer technology or processes as they come to hand, as long as you are good at what you do with what you can use, then you'll get a job easy.[/QUOTE]

i'm looking at going into physics.

Whatever happens, form the look of the current situation, i'll never be unable to find a job, because physicists are currently so rare.

/zing

KKKKKocaine 03-23-2005 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=moaner]what would they be paying you for?

You're a band, and you're young, you can't possibly deserve any money... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's pretty shocking how many venues will pay bands and take nothing themselves.
We're playing two gigs this april at bar 1 twenty, with 2 others bands, the entry fee is split between all 3 bands. nothing is given to the promoter.

[QUOTE]
Hey thanks for the advice KKKKKocaine. I'm in that kind of mindset already, it was just getting me down that people are saying that I'm smart and I've got so many paths I could go down so why not take one that's more secure and will pay well?
Then again, a lot of people have said I'd be good, so I'll just concentrate on that. I've read that list before. It was good. Maybe the guys at Bridge The Gap still have it around somewhere.
[/QUOTE]

Aye, that's what the site was.
But it doesn't seem to be working. :(

Trigger_003 03-23-2005 05:35 PM

Cool stuff Chris (I missed your post this morning) :). I'm into the php, MySQL, etc.. I'm doing VCE IT this year and if I can reschedule one of my band's rehearsals I'll be doing an A+ course too. So I'm pretty strongly headed in that direction at the moment.

And yeah, that's very true about job security. A lot of industries are going to be like that.

bridgethegap.tk isn't it, Luke?
Last I looked, the list wasn't actually up there. That's probably just because they've been updating everything, but if you email the guys they'll maybe have it saved somewhere.

gaz12369 03-23-2005 05:57 PM

[QUOTE]It's pretty shocking how many venues will pay bands and take nothing themselves. We're playing two gigs this april at bar 1 twenty, with 2 others bands, the entry fee is split between all 3 bands. nothing is given to the promoter. [/QUOTE]

Exept the endless profit they get from sales of alco pops to young kiddies :p

moaner 03-25-2005 06:46 AM

****it, i am so busy at the moment

kkk, you sent that 4 track yet

gaslight 03-25-2005 12:48 PM

I'm enjoying a nice break at the moment.

I'm really getting making electronic music and stuff.

Microwave popcorn at 3 AM, nice. All nighter right here.

KKKKKocaine 03-25-2005 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=gaz12369]Exept the endless profit they get from sales of alco pops to young kiddies :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah we're on a booking roll at the moment, after band practice me and the bassist realised that brighouse is a boring place but as we wandered I saw a pub that had one of those chalk signs "live bands" e.t.c.
So we went in, strolled up to the bar and said,
"We're interested in playing here"
The guy paged his manager, took down our details, asked us a few questions, said he liked metal and punk and I offered to do a cover of his choice.
The manager arrived.
/shakes hand.
/managers gets out date book
"Are you free on the 16th of april?"
"Yes"
"How much do you want paying"

^ That last question stumbled us, we were cool, calm and confident with it up until someone asked us that, we'd expected to have to beg our way into playing free.
We eventually decided on a small sum (30 pounds) enough to cater for transport and the rest to go to the band account.
On reflection, they'd payed bands of our size around 100 pounds for gigs, so we shortchanged ourselves, but providing the gig goes well, we'll request a larger payment next time.

Moral of the story = We're good.

Moaner, I'll wrap it up and send it tommorrow I've been ill and busy the last few days, I'll send it via the fastest thing I can.

Trigger_003 03-27-2005 03:03 PM

Go you, KKKKKocaine :)

Moaner & KKKKKocaine, I just thought I'd let you guys know that I've answered those questions in that rhythm and meter thread ([url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318711[/url])... it might make sense to you now - if you're interested in reading it.

moaner 03-27-2005 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=Trigger_003]Go you, KKKKKocaine :)

Moaner & KKKKKocaine, I just thought I'd let you guys know that I've answered those questions in that rhythm and meter thread ([url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318711[/url])... it might make sense to you now - if you're interested in reading it.[/QUOTE]

nice work.

KKKKKocaine 03-27-2005 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=moaner]nice work.[/QUOTE]

Nice edit moaner, you owe me 5 pounds I believe?

moaner 03-27-2005 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]Nice edit moaner, you owe me 5 pounds I believe?[/QUOTE]

i beleive i woe you £15...

want a cheque, or paypal?

Aes820 03-28-2005 07:59 PM

Bad news, folks. I just got an email from my vocalist.
And I know to expect bad news when I recevie an email from her home email account as apposed to her work email.
Anyway. She's got an absess on her tooth. And will either need to have 8 teeth removed or some hardcore root canal work done, along with braces.
Needless to say. It doesn't look like she'll be singing for us for a while.
Crap....