Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

Happymeal 10-04-2006 09:30 AM

So I got [I]The Listening[/I] by Little Brother the other day. Album sounds so fresh I can almost smell it.

antiant 10-04-2006 09:42 AM

the listening is good, i like it better than the minstrel show, minstrel show sucks imo...if you like that though, you might want to check out...The Foreign Exhange - Connected [url]http://www.okayplayer.com/nowhearthis/nowhearthisForeignExchange1.htm[/url]...btw the minstrel show reminds me of what we were talking about earlier about the skits within albums, they practically do that throughout the album hence "minstrel show" and that was one of the main reasons why i didn't care for it, it was pretty lame and could have been done better

JonM 10-04-2006 09:49 AM

[quote=antiant;13377925]why does yours get to be bigger than everybody elses? i thought it was just a mod thing...i want a big avatar :([/quote][LIST=1][*]I'm a pimp.[*]I have 5,500 posts, and most of them were worthwhile.[*]I've been here for over 3 years.[*]Alex (Zappa) is my e-homeboy (iHomie?)[*]OutKast.[/LIST]

antiant 10-04-2006 09:55 AM

figures...you'd have to kiss azz or "know" the people on here, doesn't suprise me, oh well, i suppose seniority is the thing here, but you're a legit poster, so on that note, i shall continue on

sgrevs 10-04-2006 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Apocalyptic Raids;13379017]I think it's from Arrested Development, if I remember YD's thread correctly.[/QUOTE]

correct gg

antiant 10-05-2006 01:27 AM

ok so...how's that new method man? anyone check it out yet? i'm currently getting it atm

Apocalyptic Raids 10-05-2006 05:33 AM

I got Jedi Mind Tricks - [I]Violent By Design[/I] today. It's pretty good :)

Eliminator 10-05-2006 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=JonM;13379150][LIST=1][*]I'm a pimp.[*]I have 5,500 posts, and most of them were worthwhile.[*]I've been here for over 3 years.[*]Alex (Zappa) is my e-homeboy (iHomie?)[*]OutKast.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

I see...

[quote=JonM]Hey Alex... I really dig your music... I think you're really talented... And plus, I give you lots of good advice and stuff...

So yeah check out this coooool pic. I thought you might think it would be a cool avatar for me or sumthin... you know, like a big one.

[url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Outkast-stankonia-lady.jpg[/url]

Cool huh? I think it would make a great avatar for me.

I'll give you things. Like music and stuff.

Or I'll have your worst enemy killed. I know people... :naughty:[/quote]

I see what you did there.

Kyle 10-05-2006 07:43 AM

People Under the Stairs and Giant Panda are playing my Students Union tonight, I can;t decide whether to go :confused:

I'm not really in the mood to see a show (heavy night last night), but I have a feeling that it would be really good.

JonM 10-05-2006 09:26 AM

[quote=Eliminator;13385253]I see what you did there.[/quote]Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

LF96 10-05-2006 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=antiant;13379122]the listening is good, i like it better than the minstrel show, minstrel show sucks imo...if you like that though, you might want to check out...The Foreign Exhange - Connected [url]http://www.okayplayer.com/nowhearthis/nowhearthisForeignExchange1.htm[/url]...btw the minstrel show reminds me of what we were talking about earlier about the skits within albums, they practically do that throughout the album hence "minstrel show" and that was one of the main reasons why i didn't care for it, it was pretty lame and could have been done better[/QUOTE]
Word, the Foreign Exchange is pretty nice. Connected is actually my favourite album coming from the Little Brother camp, although it's close between The Listening and Connected. Did you check out Nicolay's newest solo-album? If yes, what did you think of it? I'm kinda interested, dude can make some nice beats if he doesn't go too much over the top with the synths.

antiant 10-05-2006 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=LF96;13385998]Word, the Foreign Exchange is pretty nice. Connected is actually my favourite album coming from the Little Brother camp, although it's close between The Listening and Connected. Did you check out Nicolay's newest solo-album? If yes, what did you think of it? I'm kinda interested, dude can make some nice beats if he doesn't go too much over the top with the synths.[/QUOTE]
no i haven't, didn't know he had a solo out atm, i'll have to check it out and see if i can get it today, thanks for the heads up and yeah he's not bad at all, i was staying on top of it for a bit, then i stopped checking

Robert Crumb 10-05-2006 05:48 PM

Nicolay's album is kinda meh for me. But I liked Minstrel Show, so that's what it is, I guess. He does go pretty easy on the synths, though, wholly mid-90's feel to it all. Very straight-forward stuff, but the couple of neo-soul tracks are a bit much, especially the one featuring Yahzarah. Definitely worth checking into if you already like his stuff.

raus 10-05-2006 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=JonM;13379150][LIST=1][*]I'm a pimp.[*]I have 5,500 posts, and most of them were worthwhile.[*]I've been here for over 3 years.[*]Alex (Zappa) is my e-homeboy (iHomie?)[*]OutKast.[/LIST][/QUOTE]
I have less than 100 posts, have been a member for less than a week, and I'm friends with no mods. I am a boss.

bleep_bloop 10-05-2006 07:34 PM

Yeah, how did you get an avatar that big?

raus 10-05-2006 07:45 PM

I'm a sorcerer.

Eliminator 10-05-2006 07:47 PM

if only your avatar wasn't lame

antiant 10-05-2006 10:58 PM

ok so...i'm getting/have/heard of the following upcoming albums so far:

1. M.O.P. - Ghetto Warfare
2. DMX - Year Of The Dog
3. Bone Thugs N Harmoney - Thug Stories
4. Planet Asia - The Medicine
5. Quantic - An Announcement To Answer (this has Ohmega Watts on some tracks)
6. Yak Ballz - Scifentology [url]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=10326266[/url]
7. Method Man - 421 The Day After
8. Muszimal (apparently of Outlawz fame)
9. Hearin' Aid - Boom Lucy

anyone have these yet and or have any opinions on the albums so far? i'm listening to the new bone thugs atm, can't really put my finger on it yet as to yay or nay, the intro came out good then it went downhill after that (ie: 1st track was flat out rapping then 2nd track when into some r&b/rap shyt), i'll have to keep listening and see...sometimes i wish they would continue like they use to, but everytime i hear a new album from one of them solo or group it's a disappointment, i guess i'm optimistic hoping it will change...we shall see as i continue to listen

OMFG...this bnth is starting to annoy me, they need a "resurrection" in their whole career...wtf@rnb/rap mix and why the hell are they trying to sing?!...man what happened to their old production :(

raus 10-05-2006 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=Eliminator;13389154]if only your avatar wasn't lame[/QUOTE]
Yeah one of the top 3 rap groups of all time is lame.

Is that Planet Asia album good? I saw him with Wu-Tang and hella other heads, and he was tight.

antiant 10-05-2006 11:08 PM

ahhhhhh! *bangs head on keyboard* fdjkafjeqw;fjwqfeq...i pull the plug on this one@btnh i just can't get into it at all, i've got to throw this up on the back burner for later listening...if that...this just sucks, 6 songs in and they were singing in most of them or trying to...NAY!

edit: i'm going to try planet asia now, i hope he's not bad after listening to btnh good god, how horrible that was...he's a hometown fav tho...planet asia's been out for a min

raus 10-05-2006 11:10 PM

You live in Norcal?

antiant 10-05-2006 11:13 PM

fresno ;) (that's where he's from, but he moved to the bay) aesop (of living legends is also from fresno), shake da mayor, killa tay, skoolyard, the basement, diego redd (def jam label) and many other "locals" around the "central valley" etc

raus 10-05-2006 11:18 PM

Oh word, I'm up in shi[font=verdana]t[/font]ty a[font=verdana]s[/font]s Davis.

antiant 10-05-2006 11:20 PM

lol davis, that must be something...at least you're near the bay area though...i love the bay area

raus 10-05-2006 11:21 PM

Yeah the bay is cool.

antiant 10-05-2006 11:26 PM

yeah i wish i lived there, but damn it's expensive as hell...but there's a lot of good stuff to get into...

...so far this planet asia isn't that bad, not annoyed yet about it...some of the guests artists include: black thought, shake da mayor, prodigy, killa ben, phil da agony, auch dixon, turbin, defari, rasco, dialated peoples, kubiq, supa supreme and jonell

raus 10-05-2006 11:28 PM

As you can probably tell I've got a hard on for Prodigy. I'll check it out soon.

antiant 10-05-2006 11:30 PM

LOL...this black thought and planet asia song "over your head" isn't that bad, i'm liking it a lot

antiant 10-06-2006 12:06 AM

if anyone's interested in Planet Asia:
[url]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=5648934[/url]

well i can say this album is better than "the grand opening" still listening though, he's reppin the NO hard though, i think this is the most i've heard him call out the town throughout the album and pointing out/referring to "landmarks" within the city...there's another track he's spittin some 5 percenter shyt kinda like wu-tang does, the prodigy track is ok, it's mostly lyrical based and not so much based on beat as they trade off with lyrics...eh it's an ok album, nothing special, but nothing completely horrible, the beat/production still needs more work, his voice is always great, i just think he needs some new direction in the beat category, not consistent enough or solid imo...i'd like to see something more "darker" or "serious" on the beat side of things with his voice...the stuff he's rapping on is a little "mainstream/semi-unoriginal" for me...it's somewhere in the middle...

the verdict, 10 = excellent, 1 = horrible:

Planet Asia - The Medicine = 5
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Thug Stories = 1

Rams 10-06-2006 12:44 AM

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony are awesome. [I]Thug World Order[/I] had some of the best singles I've heard in a long time.

Planet Asia is pretty good, haven't liked any of his CD's so far though. With most of those guys out west, they have some pretty good songs but always seem to fall flat on their CD's. The Rasco and Planet Asia collab is a good one.
Do you guys know if Encore will ever come out with a new CD? Amazing MC.

Percee P is the best MC alive.