Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

popcorndude81 08-10-2005 09:00 AM

has that guy from RAGE against the machine gone on to do anything, the guy who rapped, he was kool but i doubt hed do so well without the help of morello etc (boo audioslave)

Ganondorf 08-10-2005 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]Which one?

The New Danger?

I thought it was terrible.[/QUOTE]

Soem tracks are kinda bad but it has loads of good backng music and the guy raps quite well. I prefer it to the Black Star album (blasphemy!)

Illmatic 08-10-2005 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=Ganondorf]Soem tracks are kinda bad but it has loads of good backng music and the guy raps quite well. I prefer it to the Black Star album (blasphemy!)[/QUOTE]

Ugh.

The whole album, IMO, was a pretentious, convoluted mess...I think the lowest point was "The Rape Over".

[I]Black on Both Sides[/I] is far superior.

ATM 08-10-2005 05:00 PM

You guys should all check out Edan if you haven't already.

And after that, the Non Prophets.

Ledmetalicbeatle 08-10-2005 07:10 PM

New Danger isn't even that bad its better than Talib's Beautiful Struggle. I would call the Rape Over a low point but I don't fully understand the Quasi-Homosexual part does he mean like meterosexuals? How can you be part homosexual? You are or you aren't.

Iai 08-10-2005 07:18 PM

I interpreted that as an attack on rappers who are always attacking gays - he's saying they're doing it to cover up that they're gay themselves.

Or something.

3rdplanet 08-10-2005 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Slug]You guys should all check out Edan if you haven't already.

And after that, the Non Prophets.[/QUOTE]

I have Non-Prophets [I]Hope[/I] on my PC, fantastic stuff.

Ledmetalicbeatle 08-10-2005 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=Iai]I interpreted that as an attack on rappers who are always attacking gays - he's saying they're doing it to cover up that they're gay themselves.

Or something.[/QUOTE]
That could be who knows, has Mos Def actually said what he ment when he said that? I would think an interviewer might bring that up since every review of the album was just "Rape Over is horrible this is a horrible album." People were too quick to judge that album and the focal point was the Rape Over and they attack it based on a comment that isn't even really clear. Totally ignoring good songs like Ghetto Rock, Sex Love and Money, Sunshine, and Grown Man Business.

Zappa 08-10-2005 08:40 PM

I think [I]The New Danger[/I] is a good album. Have since it came out.

Kaden 08-10-2005 08:43 PM

I thought the New Danger has a few decent songs, but overall it's just kind of boring to me.

meh, whatever.

Illmatic 08-10-2005 10:27 PM

The problem with the album is the beats.

Rather, the lack thereof.

Mos Def certainly took a chance when he recruited a live band instead of having a producer lay down beats. He's not the first, however; OutKast as always used a live band (or at least recorded with instruments) on their albums. However, they pulled it off much better than Def does. The "beats" are usually chunky, aimless, and boring, which it makes it tough for me to sit though.

Zappa 08-10-2005 11:08 PM

I disagree.

Dog 08-10-2005 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=Slug]And after that, the Non Prophets.[/QUOTE]
[I]Hope[/I] is fantastic.

Mekkalayakay 08-11-2005 02:10 AM

New discoveries: Analog Brothers, Atmosphere, Blueprint, Cannibal Ox, Soul Position.

LF96 08-11-2005 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Ledmetalicbeatle]That could be who knows, has Mos Def actually said what he ment when he said that?[/QUOTE]
It's a controversial song, it's an attack on the music business:

Listen
Old white men is runnin this rap ****
Corporate force's runnin this rap ****
Setae israli is runnin this rap ****
We poke out the ashes for a chance to cash in
Cocaine, is runnin this rap ****
Dro, 'gnac and E-pills is runnin this rap ****

The rape over, turn your face over nigga
No god in disguise it's me, game over
Hey lil souljahs you're ready for more?
But don't ask what you're fighting for
They thought that you sur--vived the gunfight, the drama, the stress
You get in the line of fire we get the big *** cheques
You gettin your choice to pimp
Make your choice and fall in
This is ho stroll B I, take that **** in your behind, Beatch
Hit the streets and perform for us
Hold hard and bring it on to us, ****er
I let you sip, comes an army, get a Mercedes
And kick back and let you pay me, my Mack is crazy
I leave the, knife and fist fight filled with glamour
Yeah, take a picture what this platinum plated sledgehammer
We over-do it add the fire and explosion to it
We're so confused so we run rap music

MTV, is runnin this rap ****
Viacom is runnin this rap ****
AOL and Time Warner runnin this rap ****
We poke out the ashes for a chance to cash in
Cocaine, is runnin this rap ****
Hennessey, is runnin this rap ****
Quasi homosexuals is runnin this rap ****

Watch out we run the world

That's it

I kinda liked The New Danger cause it was kind of orriginal. I think you need to be open-minded to other genres to like it tho... :)

Of 1 Blood 08-11-2005 12:10 PM

So last night I watched "Behind the Music - Notorious BIG", and I was tryly saddened by it. He seemed like such a good guy who didnt want to hurt anyone, and it made Suge Knight look like a snake who was out to get people hurt/killed.

I dont know, maybe it was a bit biased but the way it was presented made it so upsetting that he was killed. It was also upsetting how they had so much evidence to find the murderer, but the LAPD wouldnt let them continue with the case.

BIG's music is awesome too.

Illmatic 08-11-2005 01:31 PM

Once Biggie scored that record contract, he stopped pushing rocks on the street.

And Suge basically is a snake who is out to kill people. He is one of the most terrifying men in the world.

And yes, the LAPD is like that...I also find it hard to believe that they can't find the guy who shot 2Pac.

Ledmetalicbeatle 08-11-2005 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=LF96]It's a controversial song, it's an attack on the music business:

I kinda liked The New Danger cause it was kind of orriginal. I think you need to be open-minded to other genres to like it tho... :)[/QUOTE]
I know what the song is about I was talking about that one line that everybody attacked him for "quasi homosexuals are running this rap ****" quasi isn't a word you would put in front of homosexuals. How do people know it's a slam against gays? How does anybody but Mos Def know what it actually means?

Happymeal 08-11-2005 08:07 PM

Soul-Junk. I don't think I've listened to more eclectic material. But then I don't listen to rap regularly either.

Mekkalayakay 08-11-2005 09:51 PM

So I downloaded Cannibal Ox's Iron Galaxy. Is it supposed sound so screwy with the producing? Parts of it sound like an old, rundown VHS tape. :( Is it supposed to be like that?

LF96 08-12-2005 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Mekkalayakay]So I downloaded Cannibal Ox's Iron Galaxy. Is it supposed sound so screwy with the producing? Parts of it sound like an old, rundown VHS tape. :( Is it supposed to be like that?[/QUOTE]
Yes it is. And that song isn't even El-P's weirdest sounding production. I like El-P tho.

hookers_with_herpes 08-12-2005 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Ledmetalicbeatle]New Danger isn't even that bad its better than Talib's Beautiful Struggle. I would call the Rape Over a low point but I don't full understand the Quasi-Homosexual part does he mean like meterosexuals? How can you be part homosexual? You are or you aren't.[/QUOTE]

There were at least a couple of songs off Beautiful Struggle that I liked; it was no Reflection Eternal, but that's why I think it was a disappointment. Not necessarily a bad album.

Same with New Danger. I think everyone was expecting another Black on Both Sides, and instead, got Crap on All Sides. I like the idea of the whole bluesy guitar, Black Jack Johnson shiit, but it just came out bad.

Illmatic 08-16-2005 04:48 PM

So, here's a question that's been bugging me for years:

In "Fight the Power", when Chuck D says, "Music hittin' your heart because I know you got soul", is that (more specifically, the "I know you got soul") some kind of reference/homage to Eric B. and Rakim's "I Know You Got Soul"? Because Chuck D says "sound of the funky drummer" like, one line before that, which I think would be a reference to the drumbeat of James Brown's "Funky Drummer", which has been sampled by just about every rapper.

Iai 08-16-2005 05:22 PM

Yes.

Chuck famously wrote Rebel Without A Pause because that track scared him. He thought it outclassed PE's entire output (which was just Yo! at this point)

Robert Crumb 08-16-2005 05:27 PM

Edit: Well, there you go. I was too slow.

Illmatic 08-16-2005 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=Iai]Yes.

Chuck famously wrote Rebel Without A Pause because that track scared him. He thought it outclassed PE's entire output (which was just Yo! at this point)[/QUOTE]

Cool...that's pretty interesting.

Did Chuck D have some kind of rivarly/feud with Rakim, or what? Did they ever meet?

BillCosby 08-16-2005 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Happymeal]Soul-Junk. I don't think I've listened to more eclectic material. But then I don't listen to rap regularly either.[/QUOTE]

Weird stuff. Really good though.

Robert Crumb 08-17-2005 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]Did Chuck D have some kind of rivarly/feud with Rakim, or what? Did they ever meet?[/QUOTE]

I'd think they probably met and thought highly of one another.

Strummerville 08-17-2005 12:28 PM

I mostly listen to rock but I like a bit of hip/hop too.

I'm a big Nas fan, although I only liked a couple of songs of Streets Disciple. Thiefs Theme, Message To The Feds, Just A Moment, Steets Disciple and Bridging The Gap are the only decent ones I think.

Illmatic and Nastradamus are my favourite Nas albums.

I also like Jay-Z's Black Album and Kanye West.

Some of The Game's tunes are cool too.

hookers_with_herpes 08-17-2005 12:32 PM

I thought Street's Disciple was a huge disappointment, I don't think I could have come up with that generous-of-a-list for 'decent songs' off that album. ;)
In terms of his albums, I'll say Illmatic>I Am>Nastradamus>Stillmatic>It Was Written>God's Son>Street's Disciple