Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

Simple Man 10-21-2005 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Aussie_rocker]My fav rappers are

Ludacris
2pac
Biggie Smalls
Bone Thugs
Coolio[/QUOTE]

Nice list, except for Ludacris :-).

All those are great rappers/groups, some of the best I think.

Robert Crumb 10-21-2005 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=antiant]:lol: gotta love sarcasm[/QUOTE]

I know, you're so good at it.

antiant 10-21-2005 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]I know, you're so good at it.[/QUOTE]
why thank you kind sir :chug:

Aussie_rocker 10-21-2005 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Simple Man]Nice list, except for Ludacris :-).

All those are great rappers/groups, some of the best I think.[/QUOTE]

Thanx :) i only put ludacris in there coz i like some of his stuff

something vague 10-25-2005 04:35 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing and/or checking out Common's [i]Electric Circus[/i]. [i]Be[/i] is a really great record, so I'm wanting to get into his stuff more. I also read RS's reviews of all his albums, and the lowest rating was 3 stars, so that's encouraging I guess.

Iai 10-25-2005 05:19 PM

Electric Circus is an odd one. Very divisive. It's got a Stereolab feel to it, which may sound strange, but it's true.

Futuro 10-25-2005 05:34 PM

As far as electric circus goes, I like it quite alot, But some of the songs remind me of cheasy 80s music, and some seem to never go anywhere. (Just My opinion)

I have been listening to the song "Soul Survivour" from "Young Jeezy" (HATE HIS NAME) quite a bit lately.

Yes I understand that most people in here aren't fans of most mainstream "rappers", But I cannot get that song out of my head. :)

LF96 10-26-2005 11:13 AM

If I was you I wouldn't buy Electric Circus because you liked Be, it's nothing like Be and it's very experimental. I'd suggest Like Water For Chocolate which sounds the most like Be of his other albums. Resurrection and One Day It'll All Make Sense are essential as well tho (especially Resurrectioon). Electric Circus is good but it's pretty hard to get into.

something vague 10-26-2005 04:22 PM

[quote=LF96]it's nothing like Be and it's very experimental.[/quote] I listen to Sonic Youth, so I'm pretty sure that I could handle it.

Happymeal 10-26-2005 04:30 PM

Anyone heard Juggaknots? The tinymixtapes review piqued my interest.

Doctor D. 10-27-2005 09:34 AM

After reading Cages history, it makes Eminem just seem like some spoiled kid.

[QUOTE]The tortured and visceral lyrics of underground rapper Cage (Chris Palko) come from a life of pain, paranoia, hard drugs, and hard living. His father was MP in the U.S. Army, stationed in Wurzberg, Germany, when Cage was born. The family lived there until Cage's father, named Bill Murray, was busted for selling and using heroin and sent back to America. Landing in Middletown, NY, Cage's father continued using heroin and didn't bother concealing it from his son, going as far as to have the young Cage tighten the tourniquet around his arm. A standoff with the state police after threatening his family with a shotgun landed Murray in jail. It was the last time the eight year old would see his father.

While in high school, Cage went home to a physically abusive stepfather. Drugs became a serious problem for the teen, leading to expulsion from school, getting kicked out of the house, and various arrests for various crimes. Facing serious jail time, Cage's mother convinced the judge to send her son to a mental institution instead of jail. Sentenced to 18 months in the Stony Lodge Psychiatric Hospital, he became a test patient for the new drug Prozac. His depression deepened and suicide attempts led to solitary confinement. It was there that Cage had nothing to do but write his thoughts on paper.

Released from "the Lodge" and confident with his writing skills, Cage began practicing his rap and eventually cut a demo. Meeting Pete Nice of 3rd Bass led to Cage's first appearance on record, a guest vocal on "Rich Bring 'Em Back" from Nice's 1993 album Dust to Dust. Appearances on DJ Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Garcia's legendary N.Y.C. radio show got his name out and lead to friendships with the KMD crew, the late Subroc, Pharoahe Monch, and producer El-P. Nice and Garcia were now working on a sub-label for Columbia and encouraged Cage to make the major-label jump. Too strung out on drugs to record a worthwhile demo, Cage put his career on hold and descended deeper into drug abuse.
[/QUOTE]
Full text at [url]www.allmusic.com[/url]

Endless Obsession 10-27-2005 10:20 AM

Anyone in here like Pumpkinhead? Or even heard of him..

Paul H. 10-27-2005 01:16 PM

public enemy is one of the greatest groups in rap music.

Illmatic 10-27-2005 03:44 PM

[QUOTE]it makes Eminem just seem like some spoiled kid. [/QUOTE]

Eminem is a little bitch...he picks fights with Moby, is scared of confronting a dog puppet, and whines about Weird Al parodying his songs when Em himself mocks celebrities in his songs and videos.

LF96 10-28-2005 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Byzantine]Anyone in here like Pumpkinhead? Or even heard of him..[/QUOTE]
Yeah, his new album is dope stuff.

Zesty Mordant 10-28-2005 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Iai]Electric Circus is an odd one. Very divisive. It's got a Stereolab feel to it, which may sound strange, but it's true.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the chick from stereolab guest on one of the songs?

or am I just having a mild stroke?:confused:

Robert Crumb 10-28-2005 05:27 PM

^Yep.

[QUOTE=Happymeal]Anyone heard Juggaknots? The tinymixtapes review piqued my interest.[/QUOTE]

I've only heard a couple tracks of their stuff, not sure from which album. I wasn't impressed, never bothered to check them out. But I could be wrong. There is precedent.

Happymeal 10-28-2005 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]^Yep.

I've only heard a couple tracks of their stuff, not sure from which album. I wasn't impressed, never bothered to check them out. But I could be wrong. There is precedent.[/QUOTE]

They've been described as early Blackalicious but me believing that without listening to them would be a leap of faith.

Robert Crumb 10-28-2005 06:17 PM

Eh, what I heard sounded like clunky underground stuff. Clunky beats, clunky rhymes. I've also heard a couple Breezly Brewin' raps, think that's his name. He's one of the MCs from Juggaknots I believe. They were ok, but nothing mind numbingly special. But like I said, I'm judging this off of a couple tracks I can barely even remember. I'd probably check it out, anyways.

D1ck Cheney's D1ck 10-28-2005 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=Zesty Mordant]Doesn't the chick from stereolab guest on one of the songs?

or am I just having a mild stroke?:confused:[/QUOTE]

I want to have this stroke, 'cause Stereolab is one of my favorites. I certainly wasn't expecting to see them in a Rap thread.

Am i supposed to make a list? I'm going to anyway *word
Ghostface Killah
Scarface
Raekwon
Talib Kweli
Immortal Technique
Mos Def
Pete Philly & Perquisite
Sage Francis
Del the Funkee Homosapien
Dead Prez
Dilated Peoples

Rats! 10-29-2005 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb][I]*Gets out crystal ball.*[/I]

The new Kanye will have three or four good songs. The rest of the album will consist of bad skits and cocksure rants about how he's the best rapper/producer/gynecologyst ever. It'll go double platinum.[/QUOTE]

i lolled at that

conniption 10-29-2005 02:50 PM

Anyone here dig Binary Star?

shane italian 10-29-2005 04:24 PM

New Three 6 Mafia is sooo good.

something vague 10-29-2005 08:03 PM

So I go to school five days a week and listen to kids pretend that they can rap. The thing is, they rhyme "bat" and "cat", and it's just really funny.

omg nelly iz gangsturrr he haz a band-aid refl

BillCosby 10-29-2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=shane italian]New Three 6 Mafia is sooo good.[/QUOTE]

I give props to whoever produced it, because it's a great beat, but as far as the actual members go... :/

Aussie_rocker 10-29-2005 11:50 PM

Jesus Walks By Kanye West Is his best song IMO

Kaden 10-30-2005 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Aussie_rocker]Jesus Walks By Kanye West Is his best song IMO[/QUOTE]
I don't think that's a very good song.

Zesty Mordant 10-30-2005 02:57 PM

"Crack Music" is probably the best Kanye song.

shane italian 10-30-2005 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=BillCosby]I give props to whoever produced it, because it's a great beat, but as far as the actual members go... :/[/QUOTE]I have thing for Southern Rappers who enjoy the sizzurp.

something vague 10-30-2005 04:10 PM

I don't particularly like the Houston/Southern Scene, at all.