Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hardcore Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593)

NakedRaygun872 06-20-2004 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]DFelon gone got served.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I didn't see that he was going to do it.
Whoops.

BuddyBigsby 06-20-2004 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=cbmartinez24]Hey buddy, are the bands Envy, The Blood Brothers and The Locust considered screamo?[/QUOTE]

The Locust are considered grindcore or spazz, and I haven't heard Envy, though I've been meaning to for over a year. I have a problem finding material from them. The Blood Brothers are considered screamo, although they're not as serious as most screamo bands, and I don't get the same vibe off them as say Orchid. Way more wacky.

EDIT: This one review website that I frequent reviewed the Envy album (which I'm downloading now) a while back, and their reviewer (Yes, reviewer. It's run by two guys and not updated very frequently. Not very popular either, there's about 10 people that post on the message board, including myself, but they have good reviews of underground bands) Bobby referred to it as emo. Here's the site if you want to check it out: [url]www.rockreview.org[/url] . Read some of the nu-metal reviews if you want to laugh really hard.

Darknessca 06-21-2004 02:29 PM

The Bled are not metalcore. They are defintley hardcore. I agree with all of the others....but the bled's riffs and sounds are not like bands like Atreyu or Unearth. And even if they are metalcore, they are mostly hardcore.

shane italian 06-21-2004 02:30 PM

Please listen to the bands listed under hardcore. Then change your post.

cbmartinez 06-21-2004 03:11 PM

How is Throwdown hardcore? That's the only one I saw question about. There more metal than some of the bands on metalcore.

shane italian 06-21-2004 03:12 PM

The only reason you think that is because of the vocals. The riffs are just about the same as most hardcore bands.

cbmartinez 06-21-2004 03:34 PM

No, I think the riffs are really deep and metal. On haymaker anyway.

shane italian 06-21-2004 03:52 PM

Listen to old Throwdown.

BuddyBigsby 06-21-2004 06:59 PM

Yeah, I'd say Throwdown's music is more hardcore-oriented, while the vocals are metalcoreish. They have some metal to them, but I still think of them as a hardcore band.

axeslinga_32 06-22-2004 03:01 AM

can i explain the 3 types or waves of emo, as i catagorize them?

[U][B]1st wave emo - old school (indian summer, julia, moss icon etc.)[/B][/U]
emo originated in the 80's as an offshoot of hardcore, it was basically a more emotional form of hardcore, with singer's flailing about, often screaming and crying on-stage. Most emo bands only released their music on 7" vinyl.The fashion consited of tight pants, scarfs, and bangs at an angle.

[U][B]2nd Wave Emo - mellow alt. (further seems forever, sunny day real estate, get-up kids, saves the day, dashboard confessional etc.)[/B][/U]
In the late 80's and early 90's, a mellow form of alternative indie was becoming popular in the underground, these bands had no affiliation with hardcore music, but basically stole the name and the fashion of 1st wave emo, confusing people for many years to come. Many songs were written about love & relationships and many 2nd wave emo bands are still popular today.

[U][B]3rd wave emo - post-hardcore/emocore/melodic hadcore (Poison the Well, Thursday, Thrice, alexisonfire)[/B][/U]
In the early 00's a more melodic, emotional form of modern-hardcore became very popular and still is today. It is truer to original emo than 2nd wave emo in the fact that it sprouted from hardcore and is a more emotional version, except it sprouted from modern hardcore as opposed to old school hardcore punk. It contains screaming as well as clean vocals, and still carries on with some of the characteristics of 2nd wave emo (fashion, lyrical content).

I don't know if this will help at all, but it sure makes things alot simpler for me. Feel free to copy and paste it.

axeslinga_32 06-22-2004 03:10 AM

oh and to the threadstarter, i'de call sworn enemy metalcore, they are like the original form of metalcore, like hatebreed. they've said it themselves, "we are amix between hardcore and heavy metal"

punkerjeff 06-22-2004 06:55 AM

Very Good Job Ihategc!

evildemonlemurs 06-22-2004 03:36 PM

You people are stupid! Metalcore is a fusion of punk, metal, and hardcore. Bands like DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, Stormtroopers of Death, and Suicidal Tendencies are all examples of metalcore. Hardcore is a hareder edged version of punk, with a slight influence of metal. Bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Madball, and Agnostic Front are hardcore. So now that you know, shut up! You are acting like screamo is metalcore, but it isn't. Screamo involves the death metal growl(bad ones at that) and melodys.

BuddyBigsby 06-22-2004 03:41 PM

To evildemon: No.

TheFirstBus 06-26-2004 02:47 PM

Age old question, but where does Refused fall into catagorizing. I mean I know they were somewhat experimental on "The Shape of punk to come, A comercial bombanation in 12 bursts" but still

cbmartinez 06-26-2004 02:53 PM

Refused are Hardcore/Hardcore Punk. Their lyrics are punk and their riffs are mainly punk too. Also, axeslinga, I think that sworn enemy is hardcore. Their vocals are pretty harsh but their riffs are punk I'd say.

NakedRaygun872 06-26-2004 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=cbmartinez24]Refused are Hardcore/Hardcore Punk. Their lyrics are punk and their riffs are mainly punk too. Also, axeslinga, I think that sworn enemy is hardcore. Their vocals are pretty harsh but their riffs are punk I'd say.[/QUOTE]
Refused are modern jazz fusion. I say "modern" because they are not like mahavishnu orchestra or something.

NakedRaygun872 06-26-2004 03:10 PM

True their jazzy-ness is mostly in the different timing but thats about it. I was being a stupid head.

NakedRaygun872 06-26-2004 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=axeslinga_32]
[U][B]3rd wave emo - post-hardcore/emocore/melodic hadcore (Poison the Well, Thursday, Thrice, alexisonfire)[/B][/U]

[/QUOTE]
Post-hardcore has been around since the early 80's.

axeslinga_32 06-27-2004 06:39 AM

well it's a newer form of post-hardcore,

axeslinga_32 06-27-2004 06:42 AM

my 'waves' catagorization is just a simpler way to recognize the different types of emo.

NakedRaygun872 06-27-2004 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=axeslinga_32]my 'waves' catagorization is just a simpler way to recognize the different types of emo.[/QUOTE]
It's cool, I'm just more knowledgeable of the older stuff.

c.l.a.s.h 06-27-2004 10:45 AM

free your mind and your *** will follow! :thumb: [SIZE=6]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Sienna]undefined[/COLOR][FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT]

c.l.a.s.h 06-27-2004 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=c.l.a.s.h]free your mind and your as* will follow! :thumb:

c.l.a.s.h 06-27-2004 10:47 AM

AARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH how the hell does this work?!

NakedRaygun872 06-27-2004 12:02 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

BuddyBigsby 06-27-2004 01:34 PM

Only 3 posts into his MusicianForums career and already he's proven himself a failure.

Punk for life 06-28-2004 11:20 AM

Sorry but i jsut started getting really into punk about 6 months ago. I was wondering if any of these bands r real punk. Anti-flag, rancid, no use for a name, saves the day, NoFx, MXPX, Misfits, AFI, From autumn to ashes? any of em?

NakedRaygun872 06-28-2004 11:34 AM

Yes, Anti-Flag is punk. Not many people like them around these forums though. For the reasons that they support anarchy yet sell their shirts at hot topic which are government taxed. They're anti-capitalism aswell which kinda nerfs them. Majority of their fans are idiots aswell, but it's cool you're new to the music, stick around and you'll learn.
NUFAN, Saves The Day, MxPx are pop-punk and Nofx has a slight tinge of it too. Misfits are classed as horror punk for singing about killing babies and AFI is considered East bay hardcore or alternative depending on which album. FATA is fashion/metalcore.

Punk for life 06-28-2004 11:38 AM

Are any of those other bands any good punk? Im pretty young and i need help finding some good music :D. Please give me some names of good punk bands.