Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Jam Sessions community thread! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286952)

benfan 01-08-2005 01:01 PM

hey guys im ben i play guitar in a band called "enemy within" i play guitar and sing. im into most stuff pretty much every genre apart from pop, hip hop.

the_uber_penguin 01-08-2005 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=theredwonder]piano accordian rawks. but piano accordian and punk? interesting mix...[/QUOTE]

Yeah...not usually at the same time. I guess Greenday tried it on Warning but didn't really pull it off.

It rocks when I get it out to play Iron Maiden solo's though.

Aes820 01-09-2005 02:06 AM

Hey Ken bloke.
Do you think you could please put a link to the PA Thread in the stickied Jam Session Links thread?
Thanks.

Here:
[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207862[/url]

chumpradio 01-09-2005 06:58 AM

Hey, I'll probably post in this thread a bit, because I view this forum a lot and used to post relatively frequently, but don't really anymore.

veggie 3.14 01-09-2005 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=SonorKen]hahaha Im not a chick. Those girls were at a show we were playing. Hooters sponsored the show. We let em all jump back there and kick around!

The kit does have a cowbell, its electronic. I have about 5000 different assignable drum sounds right now. I use the laptop you see in the picture to move wave files, patches and playlists through the Roland SPDS. The electronics in my kit are really kind of limitless.[/QUOTE]
Why don't you get a reaaal cowbell?

SonorKen 01-09-2005 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Hey Ken bloke.
Do you think you could please put a link to the PA Thread in the stickied Jam Session Links thread?
Thanks.

Here:
[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207862[/url][/QUOTE]
Consider it done!

SonorKen 01-09-2005 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=veggie 3.14]Why don't you get a reaaal cowbell?[/QUOTE]
Well, this forum will understand this well! The cowbells in my Roland SPDS sound exactly the same. I can even sample my personal cowbell, make it into a .wav file, assign it to a drum pad and play it.

The beauty of this is my sound engineer can mix it perfectly in the drum/cymbal mix. In addition to this when I take the full kit to a show not having to set up a bunch of smaller percussion items is nice, the SPDS has tons of that stuff in it, everything from Tamtams to claves to 6 differect cowbells, rototoms, cymbals, gongs, chimes and bells.

FatherKeeL 01-09-2005 09:11 AM

whats a rototom?

benfan 01-09-2005 01:45 PM

lol i didnt understand any of that

the_uber_penguin 01-09-2005 02:51 PM

Remember kids...drummers are clever then the jokes make them out to be.

RushHourSoul 01-09-2005 03:28 PM

I understood it, electronics on your kit rock. My friend has the SPDS and I was trying to persuade him to let me borrow it! It's a great addition to any kit.

moaner 01-09-2005 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=the_uber_penguin]Remember kids...[B]a few[/B] drummers are clever then the jokes make them out to be.[/QUOTE]

beleive me, some are.

SonorKen 01-09-2005 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=FatherKeeL]whats a rototom?[/QUOTE]A roto-tom is a drum that usually comes in a set of 3. They are tuned by rotating the head. Clockwise the drum becomes higher pitched, counter clockwise the tone lowers. You can see some Roto-toms in the D&P section of the site. I did an interview with CrazyDrummer4562 and in his interview he posted pictures of his kit with Roto-toms.

Here is the pic of the roto-toms.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/CrazyDrummer4562/Rightside.jpg[/IMG]

I love the sound of Roto-toms. My kit is too large to add Roto-toms or just about anything else. With the electronics in my kit I can assign Roto-tom .wav files to a set of pads and play them as if I had a set of actual Roto-toms.

I use this technology alot. In alot of The Eagles songs I put in steel drum sounds, and add alot of percussion things to a bunch of songs.

[QUOTE=tallicafan1]lol i didnt understand any of that[/QUOTE]
hahaha its really simple. Every electronic drum sound is a wave file. These are known as .wav files. You can get them anywhere. I took my SPDS, a microphone, a XLR cable, and a extension cord to Lowes (a home improvement store). I put it all in a shopping cart and walked around Lowes banging on stuff. When I found a really cool sound I plugged in the SPDS, sampled the sound and moved on. When I returned I uploaded all of these sounds into my laptop and edited them with Cooledit Pro into usable drum .wav files.

Basically this is how it works. Lets say you and I are friends. You have an antique cowbell that has a totally unique sound. I love the sound of the cowbell, you won't sell it. I bring my SPDS to your house, put my mic on it and strike the cowbell. I now have that exact cowbell sound stored as a .wav file. Next time I am playing a show I assign that .wav file to a certain drum pad. When I strike that pad it makes that unique antique cowbell sound.

All of these .wav files are organized into "patches". A patch is a collection of .wav files that are assigned to individial electronic drum pads. I have 11 drum pads on my kit that I can assign .wav files to.

A perfect example as to how I use this is Tool's Aenema. In the beginning of the song Maynard says, "Hey" 9 times. I have this sampled in my SPDS. When we play a show I strike the pad it is assigned to and Maynards voice comes through the PA and does the 9 heys.
A even better example is Crazy Train by Ozzy. I have him sampled saying, "ALL ABOARD!" then the "AYE AYE AYE" and then I have the exact Vibraslap used in that song sampled. These are 3 seperate .wav files. They are stored on my laptop in a patch called, Ozzy. When we are getting close to the song in the show my drum tech will load the patch and when we start the song it is ready to go.

Aes820 01-09-2005 09:49 PM

..And it's a whole heap easier for gigs. No need to waste 20 channels and 2 hours of sound check time, micing up everything on the kit.
Just plug into the desk direct and you're right to go.

SonorKen 01-09-2005 10:12 PM

Yea, it saves alot of time. I use about 13 mics on my kit, depending on the situation. Drum check usually takes about 15 minutes so its not that bad. We know about where the sliders should be, it is usually just fitting the sound into the venue.

Aes820 01-09-2005 10:24 PM

Has your band got your own sound tech, Ken?

SonorKen 01-09-2005 10:59 PM

Yea, we have a full time sound tech. He is killer, makes us sound like a cd.

the_uber_penguin 01-10-2005 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=SonorKen]<SNIP>

Basically this is how it works. [b]Lets say[/b] you and I are friends...

<SNIP>[/QUOTE]

Ok.

"You and I are friends"

:p

I love the way you make is sound that you really don't want to be friends with that tallicafan1. :lol:

moaner 01-10-2005 03:32 PM

my drummer has rototoms, they're pretty cool.

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 04:46 AM

It is my birthday.
:eek:

Nightvision 01-11-2005 05:49 AM

happy birthday!

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 05:53 AM

[QUOTE=Jason101]happy birthday![/QUOTE]

Tah Brah.

Nightvision 01-11-2005 05:57 AM

question - is this a good buy?

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3773116029[/url]

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 06:00 AM

[QUOTE=Jason101]question - is this a good buy?

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3773116029[/url][/QUOTE]

I've never heard of the MT120, but considering the price and the features it seems to have, you appear to have struck a very amazing bargain.

Nightvision 01-11-2005 06:02 AM

Well that was what I thought... I was half expecting to come on here to be told it's a pile of crap that was ridiculed the world over or something...

If I was a generous guy, that'd be your birthday present. As it is, I'm not, and it's not. :p :lol:

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 06:04 AM

[QUOTE=Jason101]Well that was what I thought... I was half expecting to come on here to be told it's a pile of crap that was ridiculed the world over or something...

If I was a generous guy, that'd be your birthday present. As it is, I'm not, and it's not. :p :lol:[/QUOTE]

Pfft I have stars, What else could I possibly need? :eek:

What you wanting to use the multitrack for?

Nightvision 01-11-2005 06:11 AM

just general recording really - don't think it'll be much use for recording the entire band, (2-3 guitars, 2 singers plus the usual bass n' drums) but I reckon it'll do a job for acoustic songs/musical notepad work.

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 06:13 AM

[QUOTE=Jason101]just general recording really - don't think it'll be much use for recording the entire band, (2-3 guitars, 2 singers plus the usual bass n' drums) but I reckon it'll do a job for acoustic songs/musical notepad work.[/QUOTE]

Get an external mixer like a Behringer UB1202, that wil lgive you 4 XLR inputs for the drums, Record drums on track one, record bass and rythmn guitar on track 2, record lead guitar on track three, then record both the vocals on track 4.

Nightvision 01-11-2005 06:25 AM

So - you say you play drums and vocals, KK - same time?

KKKKKocaine 01-11-2005 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=Jason101]So - you say you play drums and vocals, KK - same time?[/QUOTE]

Nah, seperate, I sing for one band and drum for another.