Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hardcore Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593)

NakedRaygun872 06-28-2004 11:43 AM

Try Minor Threat, Dead Kennedy's or Stiff Little Fingers for starters.

Punk for life 06-28-2004 11:53 AM

Alright thanks. Are there any bands there that i should delete?

Punk for life 06-28-2004 01:50 PM

I know i shouldnt totally base what i thino on what others think but i dotn exactly know alot of good "real punk bands" :D. Ive bin listening to lagwagon for a while.

BuddyBigsby 06-28-2004 03:23 PM

But don't worry about what's "real punk" and what's not man. Just listen to a bunch of bands, find out what you like, and just enjoy it for what it is.

Punk for life 06-28-2004 05:12 PM

yah i guess ur right i should jsut listen to what i think sounds good. I jsut also dont wanna go around withall tehse buttons n patches on n crap and then when somone who knows alot about punk asks me my favourite bands or what ever i dont sound liek a total poser. but i love the bands stiff little fingers and sworn enemy!

SGlove 06-28-2004 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=FinchBulldog]SCREAM-O Bands:
A Static Lullaby, Finch, Funeral For A Friend, The Used, Story Of The Year (borderline), Newer From autumn to ashes, thursday, my chemical romance, etc.[/QUOTE]

GAH!!!! DONT CALL STORY OF THE YEAR SCREAMO!!!! EVER!!

these bands are not screamo man. thursday is post-hardcore. emocore at best. my chemical romance is pop-punk. story of the year is sh!t. they belong next to good charolette in what people like to call sell-outs. ok. im done.

Gotkookie 06-28-2004 07:00 PM

real true punk doesn't really exist anymore, its all into sub genres now, true punk is very limited in musical structure, although, hardcore still lives on

lackofmidend69 06-28-2004 07:01 PM

im a newb to the forum so please deal with me. What would you classify Between the Buried and Me, God Forbid and Dead to fall as? How come no one aswered the guy who asked about Deftones?

NakedRaygun872 06-28-2004 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]But don't worry about what's "real punk" and what's not man. Just listen to a bunch of bands, find out what you like, and just enjoy it for what it is.[/QUOTE]
Werd.

AIRIC 06-28-2004 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=NakedRaygun872]Yes, Anti-Flag is punk. Not many people like them around these forums though. For the reasons that they support anarchy yet sell their shirts at hot topic which are government taxed. They're anti-capitalism aswell which kinda nerfs them. Majority of their fans are idiots aswell, but it's cool you're new to the music, stick around and you'll learn.
NUFAN, Saves The Day, MxPx are pop-punk and Nofx has a slight tinge of it too. Misfits are classed as horror punk for singing about killing babies and AFI is considered East bay hardcore or alternative depending on which album. FATA is fashion/metalcore.[/QUOTE]

Are there any good fashion core bands?

BuddyBigsby 06-28-2004 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=Punk for life]yah i guess ur right i should jsut listen to what i think sounds good. I jsut also dont wanna go around withall tehse buttons n patches on n crap and then when somone who knows alot about punk asks me my favourite bands or what ever i dont sound liek a total poser. but i love the bands stiff little fingers and sworn enemy![/QUOTE]

See man, that's the way everyone should think. Keep up the good work.

BuddyBigsby 06-28-2004 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=lackofmidend69]im a newb to the forum so please deal with me. What would you classify Between the Buried and Me, God Forbid and Dead to fall as? How come no one aswered the guy who asked about Deftones?[/QUOTE]

Between The Buried and Me = Elements of grind and death metal, but they're all over the place. The fact that they're so progressive doesn't really help either. If anything, I'd say they're Progressive Death Metal, but even that's a long shot.

God Forbid = Metal

Dead to Fall = Swedish styled melodic death metal

Deftones = Experimental Hard Rock

Let's Chop Cats! 06-28-2004 08:51 PM

I just call BTBAM metalcore, keeps things easier, but not necessarly right.

Luxor 06-28-2004 10:08 PM

Man, BTBAM are so awesome. Two of the best guitarist out there right now.

GodCalldInSckTdy 06-28-2004 11:40 PM

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to the person who made this thread/everyone who's posted on it. Everything has been very informational for me.

Ok, so I'm new to punk/hardcore, but from the stuff that I've heard, it's amazing music and I love it. So I have a few questions....1.) I'm really into AFI and I know that they're considered East Bay hardcore. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other bands that would be considered the same. 2.) Does anyone know of some good Straight Edge bands? I really like Minor Threat and I'm looking for some more good bands. 3.) Does anyone know of some good bands that sound like Tiger Army, cuz they're also awesome...and one last one... 4.) Now I've read that Hardcore has alot of punk influences, which I can understand, but this guy I know says he likes hardcore, but hates punk. Does that make sense, or am I the only one who thinks he's f***ed up? (His fav. bands are Zao and Poision the Well). Well, thanks.

obese_breasts 06-28-2004 11:41 PM

many people who are into metal like hardcore aswell

so its not only a punk thing

Let's Chop Cats! 06-29-2004 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=GodCalldInSckTdy]Ok, so I'm new to punk/hardcore, but from the stuff that I've heard, it's amazing music and I love it. So I have a few questions....1.) I'm really into AFI and I know that they're considered East Bay hardcore. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other bands that would be considered the same. 2.) Does anyone know of some good Straight Edge bands? I really like Minor Threat and I'm looking for some more good bands. 3.) Does anyone know of some good bands that sound like Tiger Army, cuz they're also awesome...and one last one... 4.) Now I've read that Hardcore has alot of punk influences, which I can understand, but this guy I know says he likes hardcore, but hates punk. Does that make sense, or am I the only one who thinks he's f***ed up? (His fav. bands are Zao and Poision the Well). Well, thanks.[/QUOTE]

1. Tiger Army [i]kind[/i] of sound slike AFI's newer stuff.
2. xCasey Jonesx, Bane, With Honor, xWitnessx, Embrace Today, there's a million edge bands all depends on what style music you want(what kind of hardcore).
3. Donno, I don'tl listen to them all that often.
4. Well I'm assuming he's more into Metalcore stuff, so I guess it's possible. But generally if you like hardcore your gonna like punk.

NakedRaygun872 06-30-2004 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=GodCalldInSckTdy]3.) Does anyone know of some good bands that sound like Tiger Army, cuz they're also awesome[/QUOTE]
Reverend Horton Heat and The Nekromantix.

c.l.a.s.h 06-30-2004 03:22 PM

i think that you get a lot of ****ty pop punk and its annoying.

NakedRaygun872 06-30-2004 03:23 PM

What are you talking about?

c.l.a.s.h 07-01-2004 01:30 PM

sod all

ringostarr415 07-01-2004 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=imnotyourcrackwhore]CORE OVERDOSE! There doesn't need to be so many sub categories. After awhile, it all becomes a private club.[/QUOTE]

you know he does have a bit of a point. im not sayin everyone should try to be the same, but do we really need to classify everything. hardcore, old school, punk, it's all just some kick a.ss music. just leave it at that.

BuddyBigsby 07-01-2004 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=ringostarr415]you know he does have a bit of a point. im not sayin everyone should try to be the same, but do we really need to classify everything. hardcore, old school, punk, it's all just some kick a.ss music. just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Listen to more music and you'll understand.

Gotkookie 07-01-2004 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=Skrunnch 3]good fashion core bands?[/QUOTE]
thats an oxymoron, fashioncore needs to die

NewKindofArmy03 07-01-2004 09:20 PM

i just listened to between the buried and me. it took me a bit to get used to, but its really good.

Gotkookie 07-01-2004 09:26 PM

yeah they are good but really random

NewKindofArmy03 07-01-2004 09:30 PM

yeah, the song seemed like 3 different songs

Gotkookie 07-01-2004 09:34 PM

it seems like they play a lot of random riffs like its got a really nice breakdown and they play some wierd octave riff on the 1st string

Videric 07-02-2004 02:11 PM

hey dudes

Cock and Ball Torture, Pig Destroyer, and Agoraphobic Nosebleed were the [b]only[/b] grindcore bands that have been mentioned. The other "grindcore" bands aren't grindcore at all. Carcass is commercialized (not as much as cradle of filth) black/death metal (still good), Death is crust, Dillinger Escape Plan is crap :)

[b]GRINDCORE bands :[/b]

Phobia
Cripple Bastards
[COLOR=White]Fu[/COLOR]ck I'm Dead
Excrementory Grindfu[COLOR=White]ck[/COLOR]ers (Funny as hell)
Anal Cunt
Extreme Noise Terror

[b]Crust bands:[/b]

Skitsystem
Wolfbrigade/Wolfpack
Doom
Nausea
Iconoclast (there are a few different bands named this..)
Dystopia (sludge crust)
State of Fear
Dropdead
Misery

Asschapel (black metally crust)
Fall of the Bastards (black metally grindy crust.)

BuddyBigsby 07-02-2004 02:29 PM

Listen to "Vomited Anal Tract", Carcass were not commercialized, unless you're referring to the [I]Heartwork[/I] era, which wasn't even trying to be grind anyways.