Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

antiant 12-07-2006 10:16 PM

you on the mailing list? i'll put it there for all of ya

gillygan 12-07-2006 10:40 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Non Phixion lately. Obscure Disorder, Drug Music, Legacy, & Refuse to Loose are all amazing songs.

raus 12-07-2006 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=Schyma;13776711]Anyone dig [I]Ready to Die[/I] (Notorious BIG)? I bought it yesterday and I have to say, I'm very impressed.[/QUOTE]
Who?

sgrevs 12-07-2006 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=Rams;13773100] Dangerdoom 2 should atleast have some good beats (Mouse really needs to find a real MC for one of these projects). [/QUOTE]

Dude u can't be dissin' Doom, he's A-grade. [I]Dangerdoom 2[/I] is gonna be sick.

Edit: [I]Ready To Die[/I] is alright, nothing too amazing.

raus 12-07-2006 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13777691]Edit: [I]Ready To Die[/I] is alright, nothing too amazing.[/QUOTE]I don't like you anymore.

Robert Crumb 12-07-2006 11:43 PM

I thought Ready to Die was taken off the shelves. Did they rescind that order? Haven't really been paying attention.

Robert Crumb 12-08-2006 12:39 AM

Uncleared Ohio Players sample. Or something like that. I never really did read why it took so long for them to take legal action, though. Not even really sure how the case went down for that matter.

LF96 12-08-2006 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=antiant;13776873]nas leaked, it's wack, lame beats, nothing he's "preaching" is new, same shyt different toilet...wow these releases are getting boring to me...oh yeah...believe it or not, there is a dipset x-mas album, if you want a good laugh, you should cop that, straight comedy...wannabe thugs singing christmas carols...someone needs to get shot for that[/QUOTE]
Hiphop Is Dead = 3/5 after first listening. Slightly better than Street's Disciple, but rather boring nonetheless. I'm not buying it.
[QUOTE=beso negro;13776592]I listened to the first four songs and was like ehhhhhhh..... then i switched back to Clipse.

Mos Def's solo records were never very good. Though he did some great stuff with Talib Kweli of course.[/QUOTE]
Black on Both Sides was great. The New Danger was pretty good, had a few awesome tracks but a lot of filler. Something tells me I don't want to hear the new one...

sgrevs 12-08-2006 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=raus;13777757]I don't like you anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's a bit narrow minded of you.

Totally unrelated though, the more I listen to [I]Momma I'm Sorry[/I] the more I like Clipse. What a song.

raus 12-08-2006 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13778359]That's a bit narrow minded of you.

Totally unrelated though, the more I listen to [I]Momma I'm Sorry[/I] the more I like Clipse. What a song.[/QUOTE]Mommy I'm Sorry and Hello New World are straight ridiculous.

raus 12-08-2006 08:44 AM

Wayne dissing Jay-Z, that's fine, whatever.

But dissing Clipse? Why? What the fu[font=verdana]c[/font]k?

Rams 12-08-2006 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13777691]Dude u can't be dissin' Doom, he's A-grade. [I]Dangerdoom 2[/I] is gonna be sick.

Edit: [I]Ready To Die[/I] is alright, nothing too amazing.[/QUOTE]

Doom is absolute **** on the mic. Mouse makes some great beats, but he always has crappy emcees.

sgrevs 12-08-2006 03:06 PM

Doom is one of my favourite rappers, I love his laid back style and his flow is hella sick. It's even ok that I don't understand what the hell his lyrics mean half the time.

Wayne shouldn't be dissin Jay-Z, I'm really digging [I]Kingdome Come[/I] a surprising amount.

antiant 12-08-2006 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=LF96;13778261]Hiphop Is Dead = 3/5 after first listening. Slightly better than Street's Disciple, but rather boring nonetheless. I'm not buying it.

Black on Both Sides was great. The New Danger was pretty good, had a few awesome tracks but a lot of filler. Something tells me I don't want to hear the new one...[/QUOTE]
i think it's safe to say, that this is pretty pop sounding and unoriginal

The Odyssey 12-08-2006 05:38 PM

[I]"Ain't got nothing to do with old school, new school, dirty south, west coast, east coast, this is about us. This is our thing. You know what I'm sayin, this came from the gut, from the blood. From the soul; right here man...
Cause if you askin 'Why is hip hop dead?', there's a pretty good chance you're the reason it died, man. There's a pretty good chance your lame ***, corny *** is the reason it died, man. You don't give a **** about it, you don't know nothin about it. You want this paper, be a hustler? You a hustler... you ain't a rapper. Get your paper, man. But this rap **** is real. Bitch. This **** is real, bitch."[/I]

-Nas

Kyle 12-08-2006 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13780193]Doom is one of my favourite rappers, I love his laid back style and his flow is hella sick. It's even ok that I don't understand what the hell his lyrics mean half the time.

Wayne shouldn't be dissin Jay-Z, I'm really digging [I]Kingdome Come[/I] a surprising amount.[/QUOTE]123 for this whole post.
[I]
Kingdom Come[/I] isn't a bad cd.........just not a good Jay Z cd.

sgrevs 12-08-2006 09:33 PM

Thanks Kyle, support is greatly appreciated, esp. against Doom haters.

So lots of the new releases have found much favour in my eyes even in just the last few days: [I]Kingdome Come[/I], [I]Hell Hath No Fury[/I], [I]More Fish[/I]... but I don't even think I can be bothered to get [I]Hip-Hop is Dead[/I], just doesn't sound worth it. Can anyone actually tell me that it's good? I would like to continue this trend of wicked fresh new releases.

wang masta flex 12-09-2006 01:20 AM

[size=5]Dear Hip Hop Thread,[/size]

For my closest friends, I'm ordering CD's for Christmas. One in particular tends to listen to indie hip hop more than anything else, so I know I'll be getting something along that vein for him. His favorite artists include Non-Prophets, Sage Francis, Immortal Technique, Slug, Murs... the kinda stuff you would find on Anticon.

He likes aggressive hip hop, angry lyrics, but I wouldn't say that's a requirement. So given this, what would you guys put forth as your recommendations?

My thanks in advance.

[size=5]Sincerely,
Nicolas[/size]

Pluperfect_Arson 12-09-2006 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13782625]Thanks Kyle, support is greatly appreciated, esp. against Doom haters.

So lots of the new releases have found much favour in my eyes even in just the last few days: [I]Kingdome Come[/I], [I]Hell Hath No Fury[/I], [I]More Fish[/I]... but I don't even think I can be bothered to get [I]Hip-Hop is Dead[/I], just doesn't sound worth it. Can anyone actually tell me that it's good? I would like to continue this trend of wicked fresh new releases.[/QUOTE]

I have heard mixed reviews about [i]Kingdom Come[/i], and I don't know if it would be worth it to listen to it. I, already, am not that big of a Jay-Z fan, so I am still debating on whether I should check it out or not. Do you think it would be worth it for someone who really doesn't appreciate Jay-Z's music already?

Personally, I liked [i]Hip Hop Is Dead[/i], though. I mean, it sounds just like Nas, so it isn't anything too spectacular, but, overall, I thought it was good. I have only given it a run through once, but I am going to give it a couple more when I make it back home.

Also, does anyone in here like Young Jeezy? I haven't seen too much talk about him, but I am also rather new to this part of the forum. I am just wondering because I thought [i]The Inspiration[/i] was rather good, minus all the "yeeeeeeeeeeah" through almost every song.

Kyle 12-09-2006 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=Pluperfect_Arson;13783643]I have heard mixed reviews about [i]Kingdom Come[/i], and I don't know if it would be worth it to listen to it. I, already, am not that big of a Jay-Z fan, so I am still debating on whether I should check it out or not. Do you think it would be worth it for someone who really doesn't appreciate Jay-Z's music already?[/QUOTE]Na, just pick up [I]Reasonable Doubt[/I] or [I]The Blueprint[/I] instead.

antiant 12-09-2006 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=wang masta flex;13783434][size=5]Dear Hip Hop Thread,[/size]

For my closest friends, I'm ordering CD's for Christmas. One in particular tends to listen to indie hip hop more than anything else, so I know I'll be getting something along that vein for him. His favorite artists include Non-Prophets, Sage Francis, Immortal Technique, Slug, Murs... the kinda stuff you would find on Anticon.

He likes aggressive hip hop, angry lyrics, but I wouldn't say that's a requirement. So given this, what would you guys put forth as your recommendations?

My thanks in advance.

[size=5]Sincerely,
Nicolas[/size][/QUOTE]
1. Paris [url]http://www.guerrillafunk.com/[/url]
2. Saigon
3. Dead Prez
4. The Coup
5. Saul Williams
6. Menance Clan
7. MC Lyte
8. Akir
9. Pumpkinhead
10. Baby Blak

etc etc

mikexmcdaniel 12-09-2006 09:31 AM

Lately I've been finding it real hard to listen to anything that isn't Premier or RZA produced.

wang masta flex 12-09-2006 12:08 PM

yo but what about Automater produced? Dan the Automater is the man.

and thanks a lot, i appreciated it antiant im in the process of checking every single one of those out. if you think of something else let me know

raus 12-09-2006 12:34 PM

Jeezy like to drink
Jeezy like to smoke
Jeezy like to mix arm and hammer with his coke

beso negro 12-09-2006 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=raus;13785175]Jeezy like to drink
Jeezy like to smoke
Jeezy like to mix arm and hammer with his coke[/QUOTE]

that's sweet, what song is that on

raus 12-09-2006 12:42 PM

J.E.E.Z.Y.

Cop the new album, seriously, it's great. I can upload it if you guys can't find it.

beso negro 12-09-2006 12:44 PM

It's easy to get, it's all over albumbase

raus 12-09-2006 12:47 PM

Some people on here seem to have a hard time finding albums, so my offer is still open to anyone who wants it.

ATM 12-09-2006 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=wang masta flex;13784991]yo but what about Automater produced? Dan the Automater is the man.

and thanks a lot, i appreciated it antiant im in the process of checking every single one of those out. if you think of something else let me know[/QUOTE]

Hm try some of these:

Optimus Rhyme
One Bee Lo (especially S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M)
Zion I
The Grouch
Louis Logic (especially Sin-A-Matic)
Count Bass D
Apathy
Jeru the Damaja
The High and Mighty
Haiku d'Etat

wang masta flex 12-09-2006 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=ArrestThisMan;13785359]Hm try some of these:

Jeru the Damaja[/QUOTE]

hes good as sh[size=2]i[/size]t thats a good idea

ill check all those out too thanks man

have you heard the record Boom Bip did with Doseone called Circle?

its sooo fu[size=2]ck[/size]in ill. im listening to it now

sgrevs 12-09-2006 04:58 PM

Someone tell me something about Louis Logic? I keep reading about him. Good? What's he like?

Pluperfect_Arson 12-10-2006 03:35 AM

[QUOTE=Kyle;13783764]Na, just pick up [I]Reasonable Doubt[/I] or [I]The Blueprint[/I] instead.[/QUOTE]

Alright, sweet.

Thanks.

Pluperfect_Arson 12-10-2006 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=raus;13785234]J.E.E.Z.Y.

Cop the new album, seriously, it's great. I can upload it if you guys can't find it.[/QUOTE]

His new album is so good.

LF96 12-10-2006 03:45 AM

[QUOTE=sgrevs;13786724]Someone tell me something about Louis Logic? I keep reading about him. Good? What's he like?[/QUOTE]
It's typical underground indie hiphop. Not much special really. His music is enjoyable from time to time.

ATM 12-10-2006 03:43 PM

Louis Logic used to rap with the Demigodz but branched off to do his own ****. Personally I think hes great.

Rams 12-10-2006 06:42 PM

Demigodz blow. Celph Titled put out a 4-disc album this year and is the most self-indulgent pile I have heard.

ATM 12-11-2006 09:44 AM

Haha yea at first I really liked it, but I am a bit tired of all the "battle rapping at nobody in particular" thing.

hey, you're not cory! 12-11-2006 12:34 PM

Does anyone hear listen to David Costa?

And what are recomendations for me as I'm trying to get into more rap and hip-hop. I've found a lot of solace in Jurassic 5 and Jay-Z so far.

sgrevs 12-11-2006 11:10 PM

So in the last few days I got hold of Zion I and the Grouch's [I]Heroes in the City of Dope[/I], bloody brilliant stuff, and I picked it up without any previous knowledge of them, so it was quite a risk. Very happy I did though.

I also downloaded [I]Sin-A-Matic[/I] by Louis Logic, and I dunno, I don't seem to understand him...is he really the f[U]u[/U]cking racist sexist cockface that he comes across as through his lyrics? Especially in [I]The Ugly Truth[/I]. Clarification appreciated.

AND I got Count Bass D's [I]Act Your Waist Size[/I], which isn't bad, but I was hoping for more rapping, and there really wasn't much of it, more just beats and samples.

So yeah, productive few days for hip-hop in my ears.

badtaste 12-12-2006 05:44 AM

Another request for you people: Could you recommend rappers/hiphoppers that sing over a metallish/rock sound?

I'm only aware of Ice-T and his Body Count crew right now. I'm not sure, but I believe Jay-Z has, RUN-DMC might have and that's all I can think of. Basically, I'm looking for guitars, rather than beats. Oh, and the Roots are slightly rocky.