Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

antiant 09-30-2006 04:15 PM

raus: no, unfortunately i don't, but i can try and get it if you want me to

crumb: yeah, i'm not that good at keeping up with mixtapes either, but those are the one's i've checked out recently

raus 09-30-2006 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=antiant;13356821]raus: no, unfortunately i don't, but i can try and get it if you want me to

crumb: yeah, i'm not that good at keeping up with mixtapes either, but those are the one's i've checked out recently[/QUOTE]
It's good, you should check it out. Also, get any of the Thizz Nation CDs.

antiant 09-30-2006 04:22 PM

yeah thanks for reminding me i in fact do have one of those called "miami & the nation of thizzlam" and i also have "Spice 1, Messy Marv & Tech N9ne - The Mixtape"

and i'm getting the yukmouth now, this is the tracklist:

Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-01-Million Dollar Intro
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-02-Air Jordans
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-03-Brand New
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-04-Get Rich Or Die Snitchin'
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-05-Get Bay Wit It
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-06-I Am Back Like
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-07-Like My Swag
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-08-Shawn Harris **** [Skit]
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-09-Back Den
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-10-Roll The Dice
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-11-I'm Da ****
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-12-El Traffico
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-13-I Remember
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-14-On The Track
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-15-Young Geez
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-16-That's Gangsta
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-17-Save Ourselves
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 1]-18-Outro
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-01-Million Dollar Intro II
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-02-Hustla's Ambition
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-03-Whoa
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-04-I'm So Dope
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-05-I Got Dat Work
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-06-Get It Crunk
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-07-I'm A Hustla
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-08-Linno Interviews Yuk [Skit]
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-09-Treal ****
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-10-Addicted II Trouble
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-11-Testify [Skit]
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-12-World War III
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-13-Can't Win If Losin'
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-14-As You Should
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-15-The Linno Show
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-16-Walk How You Talk
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-17-Bozz Tycoon
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-18-Thy Kingdom Come
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-19-It's A Beautiful Feelin'
Yukmouth-Million Dollar Mixtape [Disc 2]-20-Outro II

The Jungler 09-30-2006 04:25 PM

So I think Lupe Fiasco's Daydreamin' is probably tied with Quasimoto's Closer for my favorite rap song of all time. I can't wait to hear the whole CD, its gonna be off the chain.

antiant 09-30-2006 04:28 PM

it's not really@lupe fiasco, like others kind of mentioned, it's a bit disappointing or at least it was to me, but i guess you'll have to wait and see

raus 09-30-2006 04:43 PM

I didn't like Kick Push, despite it being such an awesome beat. Lupe just seems too goofy for me. But, if you want to hear that great beat used right, get the song 40 Cal. - Click Puss. So much better.

antiant 09-30-2006 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=raus;13357019]Lupe just seems too goofy for me[/QUOTE]
yeah he's got that whole "skater/hip hopper" vibe going on, pharrell williams, murs to name a few, but those glasses don't really help him out either, he looks like a nerd, not to say that's bad or anything, but it just doesn't fit well and yeah he is a bit goofy, just like pharrell, it's like their brothers or something, peanutheads LOL oh gawd i'm bad, i digress

sgrevs 09-30-2006 11:00 PM

Lupe >>>> Pharrell

i got Lupes album yesterday and i'm pretty impressed so far, it's pretty damn good. I really really like [I]American Terrorist[/I], freakin' sweet song.

[I]Daydreamin'[/I] is also ace.

raus 10-01-2006 12:36 AM

Pharrell sucks.

The Jungler 10-01-2006 11:12 AM

Pharrell isn't bad at all. His production is usually great when compared to other mainstream producers and his rapping/singing is above average.

raus 10-01-2006 12:57 PM

He's very annoying.

raus 10-01-2006 01:22 PM

His verse on Mr. Me Too sucks.

JonM 10-01-2006 01:55 PM

[quote=The Jungler;13356889]I can't wait to hear the whole CD, its gonna be off the chain.[/quote]Lupe's record is cool. I would get it if I were you.

And just as an aside, people don't really say "off the chain" anymore. It tends to come off as somewhat amusing these days.

Eliminator 10-01-2006 03:03 PM

jonm, you're off tha chain

Rileigh 10-01-2006 06:43 PM

Greatest hip hop artists - The Beastie Boys, hands down.

raus 10-01-2006 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Rileigh;13363076]Greatest hip hop artists - The Beastie Boys, hands down.[/QUOTE]No.

Happymeal 10-01-2006 07:30 PM

White = good ye?

Robert Crumb 10-01-2006 09:31 PM

I really like Lupe. And I still like Pharrell. But Pharrell's contracted a bad case of Kanyeitis. And his production has suffered because of it. Guy needs to recognize that being a great (or at least consistent at this point) producer is much more important than being a sub-par MC. Worse, he doesn't have the engaging crassness of Kanye, so it's like, ok, you're rhymes are pretty lame and you don't have the right personality. Back behind the boards with ye. Peanut head indeed.

As for Lupe, I'm into the new album one of my faves on the year, was into the old leak but the proper album is a general improvement. "The Instrumental" is still one of the worst hip-hop songs this year, though. He's a good MC, even writes some solid hooks, but he just sounds like he's trying too hard sometimes. I bet you when he writes his rhymes he proofreads 'em.

raus 10-01-2006 09:35 PM

Kanye is worlds better than Pharrell in ever way. Lupe too, for that matter.

Robert Crumb 10-01-2006 09:50 PM

I never suggested Pharrell was better than Kanye, so I'm ok with that.

Lupe is an MC first, no mistake. Kanye wants to do the double threat thing. I think that kinda drags Kanye down, but I'll admit he's good at finding ways to improve on himself. 20 years from now, if both of their careers continued down the paths they've begun, Kanye will probably have a better body of work and the more memorable career. Like I alluded to before, a good producer is significantly rarer than a good MC. It would be surprising to see Kanye completely squander all that skill. At the moment though, I'd rather hear Lupe on the mic than Kanye.

sgrevs 10-02-2006 01:47 AM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13364418]"The Instrumental" is still one of the worst hip-hop songs this year, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what the hell is up with that song? It stands out as such a blemish on such a consistent album imo.

raus 10-02-2006 02:05 AM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13364558]I never suggested Pharrell was better than Kanye, so I'm ok with that.

Lupe is an MC first, no mistake. Kanye wants to do the double threat thing. I think that kinda drags Kanye down, but I'll admit he's good at finding ways to improve on himself. 20 years from now, if both of their careers continued down the paths they've begun, Kanye will probably have a better body of work and the more memorable career. Like I alluded to before, a good producer is significantly rarer than a good MC. It would be surprising to see Kanye completely squander all that skill. At the moment though, I'd rather hear Lupe on the mic than Kanye.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to fight you.

antiant 10-02-2006 02:30 AM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb;13364418] but he just sounds like he's trying too hard sometimes. I bet you when he writes his rhymes he proofreads 'em.[/QUOTE]
lol@the proofread part...just as you stated and one thing i noticed as well, it seems he's trying "too hard" it doesn't come off as natural and i think some people can sense that and when you sense that akwardness in an MC that is not a good sign for the most part, you become a little skeptical because of it, so it's going to take some time to really scope him out and see how he does in the long run...i'm not saying that image is everything either, but his particular image or lack thereof, doesn't help much, he kind of looks like a little kid and some people might find it hard to take him seriously, sometimes shallow judgements like that can make or break you...when he does his little dancing or whatever you want to call it that is really suspect to me, it makes it worse as far as akwardness goes and trying too hard, it's like he lacks confidence in that respect or he's not comfortable in the surroundings he's in, he's a bit fake too me as well, but that's what i've observed so far

and i just saw the video of failure via youtube and the lyrics were horrible, "this is gangsta man" "this is top flow, you better look below" wow are you kidding me?

JonM 10-02-2006 11:48 AM

[quote=Eliminator;13361912]jonm, you're off tha chain[/quote]I was just trying not to be an arrogant prick about it. Maybe I toned it down too much.

While we're talking about the best in tolerable but woefully inadequate rappers from Chicago, have y'all heard the Rhymefest record? It's not as good as Lupe, but it's better than Kanye.

Robert Crumb 10-02-2006 10:38 PM

Rhymefest had a couple good'uns but for whatever reason, the song I gravitated towards was "Build Me Up." The critical part of my brain tells me it's pretty bad, but I wanna listen to it. Psalm One's album is another Chi-town deal I feel sketchy about. I heard it once through and was probably so surprised that it wasn't totally horrible that I over compensated. But she's not an awful MC. "Standby" might even be a pretty ok song though if it weren't for the heinous hook. "Honey-roasted peanut eating fetus"?

[QUOTE=raus;13365560]I'm going to fight you.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.imageupload.com/reg/thumbs/6963skwid93 copy.jpg[/IMG]

JonM 10-03-2006 11:17 PM

Yo peep my avatar

antiant 10-03-2006 11:29 PM

why does yours get to be bigger than everybody elses? i thought it was just a mod thing...i want a big avatar :(

sgrevs 10-04-2006 12:11 AM

i have a big one because YDload was nice and i won a competition for best avatar. but Jons is huge and awesomer.

ATM 10-04-2006 09:08 AM

What is yours of sgrevs?

Apocalyptic Raids 10-04-2006 09:09 AM

I think it's from Arrested Development, if I remember YD's thread correctly.