Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Jam Sessions community thread! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286952)

Nicko_Shmicko 09-22-2005 06:24 AM

hi im nic, i dont think ive ever properly introduced myself, I used to be theabstract, i wrote the home recording guide

gaz12369 09-22-2005 08:45 AM

I'm convinced K sells babies to Ex-Russian Mafia, because i have a job, and cant afford all that, but he does nothing, and can. grrr.

Heh, though i dont mind, because im famous, go SM Pro Audio :thumb:

Sounds like an awesome plan K, but a few pointers from looking down the list:

Firstly, consider the non-wireless version of the printer, im not sure how much more it costs, but if it saves you £30, you can get another mic instead? i have the Wired ip4000, its great.

As for the Behringer Mic, maybe look at T.bone alternatives. Just an option, as you can get an SM57 style. If you want me to make you a quick recording with one, just give a reply telling me what sorta thing you want (i've probably got some drum tracks with it on the snare and i can easily do guitar and bass mic'ing with it) [i dont have drums though, so i might not be able to get exactly what you want with it]

Other than that the selection looks awesome! :thumb:

A few things to consider for the future:
>Midi Controller, like the behringer fader one, its nice to have hands on fader control.
>A nice voice channel, just to give your vocals some extra warmth.
>Maaybe an outboard compressor, but its not essential.

Another thing that i just thought of, is that (though you probably have it covered) you need to figure out how to deal with the parents complaining about noise and such? If they dont mind, then its all good, but like my parents aren't all that fussed on havng a guitar amp blasting through the house lol. Just a thought:)

Good luck on it all, sounds like you have it all planned out and such :thumb:

Gaz

KKKKKocaine 09-22-2005 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=gaz12369]I'm convinced K sells babies to Ex-Russian Mafia, because i have a job, and cant afford all that, but he does nothing, and can. grrr.
[/QUOTE]

:p Get yourself hit by a car at 12 and then put it in the bank to get interest. :p

[QUOTE]Firstly, consider the non-wireless version of the printer, im not sure how much more it costs, but if it saves you £30, you can get another mic instead? i have the Wired ip4000, its great.[/QUOTE]

That's an idea, what's the capability on the ip4000 for printing on print ready cd's?

It'd save me about £82.

[QUOTE]As for the Behringer Mic, maybe look at T.bone alternatives. Just an option, as you can get an SM57 style. If you want me to make you a quick recording with one, just give a reply telling me what sorta thing you want (i've probably got some drum tracks with it on the snare and i can easily do guitar and bass mic'ing with it) [i dont have drums though, so i might not be able to get exactly what you want with it][/QUOTE]

Anything you've got with it on would be good. :) It'd be useful to have a variety of mics around.

[QUOTE]Another thing that i just thought of, is that (though you probably have it covered) you need to figure out how to deal with the parents complaining about noise and such? If they dont mind, then its all good, but like my parents aren't all that fussed on havng a guitar amp blasting through the house lol. Just a thought[/QUOTE]

That's the clients problem :p
It's going to be mobile so I'll be driving it to where they wanna record so my parents won't have anything to worry about.
I'd have loved to record in my cellar but it's tiny.
So I'm guessing most bands will hire out a practice room, or if they practice at home do it there.

I'm thinking of switching the Audio Technica mic to a Neumann TLM 103 (£579) or a Blue Baby Bottle (£339)
Tah for the comments though, and the SM Pro Audio was a sweet find only a few pounds more than the behringer and better.

gaz12369 09-22-2005 04:46 PM

[QUOTE]Anything you've got with it on would be good. It'd be useful to have a variety of mics around.[/QUOTE]

Hey K, i was going to get some stuff sorted out tonight, but after a nice pub session, my mate said he wants to come up and record on tuesday, so instead il wait till then and il do some proper demo's for you. He has a couple of SM 58's, so il A/B some stuff with them aswell (heh, take the guard off and its a 57:p)

If you need anything before say next wednesday, let me know and il send you some of what i have, but i thought it might be more useful to have some proper demo'd stuff.

Gaz

airborne50caliber 09-23-2005 08:58 AM

The blue baby bottle would be an excellent choice. And so would logic express, which I own - it's great.

KKKKKocaine 09-23-2005 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=airborne50caliber]The blue baby bottle would be an excellent choice. And so would logic express, which I own - it's great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was looking at the bottle. Have you seen the Violet range of mics? Blue is looking to sue the pants off them.

KKKKKocaine 09-24-2005 01:49 AM

[QUOTE=airborne50caliber]The blue baby bottle would be an excellent choice. And so would logic express, which I own - it's great.[/QUOTE]

Express was on my list but now I'm considering going for the full version.
Simply because I heard the guitar modeller was less flexible on express. Any thoughts on that?

[QUOTE]
Hey K, i was going to get some stuff sorted out tonight, but after a nice pub session, my mate said he wants to come up and record on tuesday, so instead il wait till then and il do some proper demo's for you. He has a couple of SM 58's, so il A/B some stuff with them aswell (heh, take the guard off and its a 57)

If you need anything before say next wednesday, let me know and il send you some of what i have, but i thought it might be more useful to have some proper demo'd stuff.

Gaz[/QUOTE]

Tah brah, I'm cool with waiting till then. Thanks man.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-24-2005 02:02 AM

Sup KKKKKocaine?

KKKKKocaine 09-24-2005 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Diatonic Dissonance™]Sup KKKKKocaine?[/QUOTE]

Not much, I picked up my weight bench yesterday. It took me about 2-3 hours to put 90% of it together. I might actually get around to using it today :p What you been up to?

moaner 09-24-2005 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]Not much, I picked up my weight bench yesterday. It took me about 2-3 hours to put 90% of it together. I might actually get around to using it today :p What you been up to?[/QUOTE]

nah, all the excercise is in the assembly.

Aes820 09-24-2005 08:41 AM

Party at my place tonite. It's kicking.
Some poor sap left his phone (w/ camera) laying around. So I took a screen shot of that 'girl in the tub' and saved it as his wallpaper.
Hahah.

denboy 09-24-2005 08:46 AM

Haha, that's mean

KKKKKocaine 09-24-2005 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]nah, all the excercise is in the assembly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I could really feel it in my back when it was finished. I'll just set up a few more benches and then I'll move onto lifting cars.

moaner 09-24-2005 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Party at my place tonite. It's kicking.
Some poor sap left his phone (w/ camera) laying around. So I took a screen shot of that 'girl in the tub' and saved it as his wallpaper.
Hahah.[/QUOTE]

who'd've thought aes had a secret love for tubby?

Can i come to the party? :upset:

Actually I am out tonight (and with other people aswell! how weird is that...) My mate's band is gigging, and i don't really like them, and the support seem mediocre, but i'm sure it'll be a fun night.

airborne50caliber 09-24-2005 10:53 AM

Tub girl is not for the faint hearted.

KKKKKocaine 09-24-2005 12:06 PM

Gah some people are so annoying. I've been posting around the set up for opinions. And mostly I've gotten helpful stuff.
One tool decided to drop in his own dumb opinion about how he doesn't like digital because it sounds dead.

What a prick. I obviously planned the entire budget but just overlooked the digital vs analog argument. :rolleyes:

moaner 09-24-2005 04:41 PM

I met a cool chick tonight, we had so much in common.

We both weren't drinking
we both hated smoking
We both like being strange
We both liked acting all happy
We both liked rock music
We both liked eachother
We both liked girls :upset:

[SIZE=1]Accuracy alert: she was actually bi :) But had a gf :([/SIZE]

moaner 09-24-2005 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=KKKKKocaine]Gah some people are so annoying. I've been posting around the set up for opinions. And mostly I've gotten helpful stuff.
One tool decided to drop in his own dumb opinion about how he doesn't like digital because it sounds dead.

What a prick. I obviously planned the entire budget but just overlooked the digital vs analog argument. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

*analogue

Aes820 09-24-2005 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=moaner]Can i come to the party? :upset:
[/QUOTE]
Sorry. It finished about 5 hours ago.

I just got up then, my backyard and kitchen are an absolute mess.
I better get to cleaning up.

airborne50caliber 09-25-2005 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]We both weren't drinking
we both hated smoking
We both liked rock music
We both liked eachother
[/QUOTE]

So much in common...

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-26-2005 12:31 AM

Hey Chris, what's happening?

Oh, and thanks for your rep, I appreciate it (not too far from stars now, 322 points to go!).

isojoe420 09-26-2005 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Sorry. It finished about 5 hours ago.

I just got up then, my backyard and kitchen are an absolute mess.
I better get to cleaning up.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a good time. I wish I could of made it. :upset:
How drunk did you get? Do anything stupid or noteworthy?

DruMMeR_BoY14 09-26-2005 01:50 AM

[QUOTE=moaner]I met a cool chick tonight, we had so much in common.

We both weren't drinking
we both hated smoking
We both liked rock music
We both liked eachother

[SIZE=1]Accuracy alert: she was actually bi :) But had a gf :([/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Man that would suck. "hey you know I'd go out with you if I didn't have a girlfriend"...

Gah I have to go back to school tomorrow, not lookign forward to that AT ALL.

Aes820 09-26-2005 04:53 AM

[QUOTE=Diatonic Dissonance™]Hey Chris, what's happening?[/QUOTE]
Hello.
Just finished dinner.
Am still yet to mop the family room and kitchen floors after Saturday night.
As it still has that post-party 'stickyness' to it.
So I might get to that now.

NP about the rep, but it was the message that I sent with the rep that should be seen as more important than the rep itself.

[QUOTE=isojoe420]How drunk did you get? Do anything stupid or noteworthy?[/quote]I posted on an internet forum. haha.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-26-2005 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=Aes820]Hello.
Just finished dinner.
Am still yet to mop the family room and kitchen floors after Saturday night.
As it still has that post-party 'stickyness' to it.
So I might get to that now.

NP about the rep, but it was the message that I sent with the rep that should be seen as more important than the rep itself.
[/QUOTE]
Do you live by yourself?

And yeah, I'm not going to bother arguing with Ben anymore, because I am constantly assured that he is always being facetious/trolling, and doesn't actually mean what he says. Thanks none-the-less, of course.

Aes820 09-26-2005 05:25 AM

I've got a housemate. A good mate of mine.
His missus stays over occasionally as well.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-26-2005 05:43 AM

Sounds good.

Hey, I was meaning to ask you...

I posted an article in the lesson area in the guitar forum, and part of the lesson involves (or involved) downloading a song that I uploaded to help illustrate some of my points.

Can I keep it there? Or do I have to get rid of it?

Thanks.

denboy 09-26-2005 05:45 AM

I was thinking about that earlier and, you could just cut out the part of the song you were talking about, I believe if it's only a 5 or 10 second clip, then it isn't copyright infringement

Diatonic Dissonance™ 09-26-2005 05:50 AM

True, or I could always just MIDI it.

denboy 09-26-2005 05:50 AM

Nooo!.. Hehe, that would be unfair to Mr Lanes awesome tone ;)