Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

LF96 08-12-2005 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Mekkalayakay]So I downloaded Cannibal Ox's Iron Galaxy. Is it supposed sound so screwy with the producing? Parts of it sound like an old, rundown VHS tape. :( Is it supposed to be like that?[/QUOTE]
Yes it is. And that song isn't even El-P's weirdest sounding production. I like El-P tho.

hookers_with_herpes 08-12-2005 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Ledmetalicbeatle]New Danger isn't even that bad its better than Talib's Beautiful Struggle. I would call the Rape Over a low point but I don't full understand the Quasi-Homosexual part does he mean like meterosexuals? How can you be part homosexual? You are or you aren't.[/QUOTE]

There were at least a couple of songs off Beautiful Struggle that I liked; it was no Reflection Eternal, but that's why I think it was a disappointment. Not necessarily a bad album.

Same with New Danger. I think everyone was expecting another Black on Both Sides, and instead, got Crap on All Sides. I like the idea of the whole bluesy guitar, Black Jack Johnson shiit, but it just came out bad.

Illmatic 08-16-2005 04:48 PM

So, here's a question that's been bugging me for years:

In "Fight the Power", when Chuck D says, "Music hittin' your heart because I know you got soul", is that (more specifically, the "I know you got soul") some kind of reference/homage to Eric B. and Rakim's "I Know You Got Soul"? Because Chuck D says "sound of the funky drummer" like, one line before that, which I think would be a reference to the drumbeat of James Brown's "Funky Drummer", which has been sampled by just about every rapper.

Iai 08-16-2005 05:22 PM

Yes.

Chuck famously wrote Rebel Without A Pause because that track scared him. He thought it outclassed PE's entire output (which was just Yo! at this point)

Robert Crumb 08-16-2005 05:27 PM

Edit: Well, there you go. I was too slow.

Illmatic 08-16-2005 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=Iai]Yes.

Chuck famously wrote Rebel Without A Pause because that track scared him. He thought it outclassed PE's entire output (which was just Yo! at this point)[/QUOTE]

Cool...that's pretty interesting.

Did Chuck D have some kind of rivarly/feud with Rakim, or what? Did they ever meet?

BillCosby 08-16-2005 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Happymeal]Soul-Junk. I don't think I've listened to more eclectic material. But then I don't listen to rap regularly either.[/QUOTE]

Weird stuff. Really good though.

Robert Crumb 08-17-2005 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]Did Chuck D have some kind of rivarly/feud with Rakim, or what? Did they ever meet?[/QUOTE]

I'd think they probably met and thought highly of one another.

Strummerville 08-17-2005 12:28 PM

I mostly listen to rock but I like a bit of hip/hop too.

I'm a big Nas fan, although I only liked a couple of songs of Streets Disciple. Thiefs Theme, Message To The Feds, Just A Moment, Steets Disciple and Bridging The Gap are the only decent ones I think.

Illmatic and Nastradamus are my favourite Nas albums.

I also like Jay-Z's Black Album and Kanye West.

Some of The Game's tunes are cool too.

hookers_with_herpes 08-17-2005 12:32 PM

I thought Street's Disciple was a huge disappointment, I don't think I could have come up with that generous-of-a-list for 'decent songs' off that album. ;)
In terms of his albums, I'll say Illmatic>I Am>Nastradamus>Stillmatic>It Was Written>God's Son>Street's Disciple

Strummerville 08-17-2005 01:33 PM

How would you rate Stillmatic. Haven't heard any of it.

ZEROthirtythree 08-17-2005 01:34 PM

I can't wait until September 27th.

ZEROthirtythree 08-17-2005 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Strummerville]How would you rate Stillmatic. Haven't heard any of it.[/QUOTE]

Easy 9/10. Better than Illmatic.

Kaden 08-17-2005 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]I can't wait until September 27th.[/QUOTE]
what happens then?

ZEROthirtythree 08-17-2005 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Kaden]what happens then?[/QUOTE]

New Blackalicious album "The Craft" :)

Illmatic 08-17-2005 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]Easy 9/10. Better than Illmatic.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. Illmatic was a perfect album, IMO

Illmatic > Stillmatic > It Was Written > Nastradamus > I Am > God's Son > Street's Disciple

It bears mentioning that I liked all of those except Street's Disciple.

Kaden 08-17-2005 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]New Blackalicious album "The Craft" :)[/QUOTE]
yessssssssss

The last I heard, it was planned for last May.

DemBonez 08-17-2005 04:09 PM

Beyond "The World Is Yours", I find [i]Illmatic[/i] to be really boring.

Kaden 08-17-2005 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=DemBonez]Beyond "The World Is Yours", I find [i]Illmatic[/i] to be really boring.[/QUOTE]
The only two songs on it that I REALLY like are Life's a Bitch and One Time 4 Your Mind. Other than that, it's only decent imo.

HipHopDontStop 08-17-2005 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]Couldn't disagree more. Illmatic was a perfect album, IMO

Illmatic > Stillmatic > It Was Written > Nastradamus > I Am > God's Son > Street's Disciple

It bears mentioning that I liked all of those except Street's Disciple.[/QUOTE]

with you all the way there.
actually no i reckon "It Was Written" is better than "Stillmatic".

Dizzee Rascal was mentioned ages ago in this thread: just thort i'd add my 2p's worth, "Boy In Da Corner" is an absolutley awesoem album, but "Showtime" is nowhere near as good. If you like Dizzee's accent, you'll probably like "Final Element", a fresh new rapper from the same area of London, with a similar flow and style to Dizzee, except more underground and a harder accent. :cool:

ATM 08-17-2005 04:27 PM

I missed the Del show because I had no cash :-/

Jaded 08-17-2005 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Slug]I missed the Del show because I had no cash :-/[/QUOTE]
Does that show with Hiero and Del include members of Souls of Mischief?

ATM 08-17-2005 07:10 PM

I think it featured members of Non Phixion.

Zesty Mordant 08-17-2005 08:18 PM

I got the new Buck 65 album today and I'm kinda let down. Some of the songs are pretty good and he can really nail the folk/country/hip-hop/trip-hop thing to a T. However he tries to jam a little too much of everything into his songs and it comes out kinda awkward, especially the first 4 tracks.

Robert Crumb 08-17-2005 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]New Blackalicious album "The Craft" :)[/QUOTE]

I heard a song (aready forgot the name... might have been the one Zappa linked to, I don't think that one worked for me, though) at the theatre before the show started yesterday, and I was very impressed on one listen.

Gonna be a huge influx of possibly fantastic hip hop albums coming until the end of the year.. Dangerdoom, Outkast, Little Brother, Blackalicious, new Ghostface is coming soon I think, as well as his collab with MF DOOM, Percee P, Kanye, I think Atmosphere has a new one on the horizon, etc.

Zesty Mordant 08-17-2005 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]Dangerdoom[/QUOTE]

:confused:

I'm going to assume that thats some kind of collaboration between MF Doom and Danger Mouse.

LF96 08-18-2005 07:50 AM

Nas albums:

Illmatic: 5/5 (!!) (really, this is one of the best hiphop-albums ever recorded)
It Was Written: 4.5/5
I Am: 3.75/5
Nastradamus: 3.25/5
Stillmatic: 4.25/5
God's Son: 4/5
Street's Disciple: 3/5

Dangerdoom is indeed a collabo between MF Doom and Danger Mouse. It has already leaked on the net, shouldn't be to hard to find. :)

Superstition 08-18-2005 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=Illmatic][B]Nastradamus[/B] > I Am > God's Son > Street's Disciple[/QUOTE]
:eek:

I've always considered Nastradamus to be Nas' worst. Especially surprised to see it ranked above I Am and God's Son.

Iai 08-18-2005 12:08 PM

I think Stillmatic = Illmatic for quality, honestly.

The only other one I've heard is God's Son, which is good, but not on the level of those two.

Illmatic 08-18-2005 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=Superstition]:eek:

I've always considered Nastradamus to be Nas' worst. Especially surprised to see it ranked above I Am and God's Son.[/QUOTE]

I really liked it...I guess I'm the only one.

dUSK 08-18-2005 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]I really liked it...I guess I'm the only one.[/QUOTE]

Your not. :)

cicatriz 08-19-2005 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=HipHopDontStop]If you like Dizzee's accent, you'll probably like "Final Element", a fresh new rapper from the same area of London, with a similar flow and style to Dizzee, except more underground and a harder accent.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to check this guy out. Is there anywhere I can download anything by him from?

LF96 08-19-2005 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=Illmatic]I really liked it...I guess I'm the only one.[/QUOTE]
Well, the good songs on it are really good but the bad songs on it were really, really bad.
If only Nas had taken the good songs of both I Am and Nastradamus and had made one album he would have had his 2nd best album with that album. Really, imagine this tracklist:

1. Album Intro (the one from I Am)
2. NY State Of Mind Pt.2
3. Life We Chose
4. Small World
5. Project Windows
6. Favor For A Favor
7. Come Get Me
8. Last Words
9. Ghetto Prisoners
10. We Will Survive
11. Nas Is Like
12. Family
13. I Want To Talk To You
14. God Love Us
15. Shoot 'Em Up
16. Undying Love

Robert Crumb 08-19-2005 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=LF96]Nas albums:

Illmatic: 5/5 (!!) (really, this is one of the best hiphop-albums ever recorded)
Street's Disciple: 3/5
[/QUOTE]

I'd probably pretty much agree with those ratings in general. It Was Written was the the first thing I heard from him, so that's kinda etched into my mind. I never got around to getting Street's Disciple, though.

Kaden 08-19-2005 02:25 PM

Does anyone know if there are plans for another Latyrx album ever? I thought the first one was AMAZING, but I dunno if it was a one-time project or anything.

Robert Crumb 08-19-2005 07:15 PM

No plans that I've heard. I don't see why it couldn't happen, though.

TalkingHead 08-19-2005 07:22 PM

Cool thread.

I reccomend that everyone should give [I]Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract[/I] a listen. A phenominal record.

[QUOTE=Slug]I missed the Del show because I had no cash :-/[/QUOTE]

That blows :upset:

Zappa 08-19-2005 07:47 PM

Lyrics Born has been recording and releasing solo material, and Lateef is with Chief Xcel in the group Maroons. It doesn't seem like another proper Latyrx album is in the near future.

LF96 08-20-2005 05:35 AM

[QUOTE=LF96]Nas albums:

Street's Disciple: 3/5[/QUOTE]
Forgot The Lost Tapes, that one's a 4.5/5 as well, but it's slightly better than It Was Written imo.

[QUOTE=Zappa]Lyrics Born has been recording and releasing solo material, and Lateef is with Chief Xcel in the group Maroons. It doesn't seem like another proper Latyrx album is in the near future.[/QUOTE]
You could see The Last Trumpet as a Latyrx track, and that one's nice. A new Latyrx album would be great.

Kaden 08-20-2005 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=Zappa]Lyrics Born has been recording and releasing solo material, and Lateef is with Chief Xcel in the group Maroons. It doesn't seem like another proper Latyrx album is in the near future.[/QUOTE]
That's cool. I like both those projects, but I don't think either one comes anywhere NEAR Latyrx.