Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative & Indie (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What I've Been Digging Lately (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167945)

OrbDragon 04-08-2004 03:42 PM

Lately I've been into this cool swedish band called Motorpsycho my singer has introduced me to...they are great. I think I might buy one of their cd's soon. I've also been listening to:

Ani DiFranco - Evolve
Manu Chao - Clandestino
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
Flaming Lips - Transmissions From The Satellite Heart
DJ Shadow - The Private Press
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Pink Floyd - PULSE
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Calexico - Feast Of Wire

Nacho: (If you haven't already) you should definately check out Motorpsycho...they up yer alley I think. It's really hard edged, yet abstract rock music. But you prolly already heard of them :lol:

bluebomber27 04-08-2004 04:17 PM

u guys gotta check out my friends band
[url]www.purevolume.com/silencethroughinjustice[/url]
they are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

KazooVirtuoso 04-08-2004 11:06 PM

I just got done listening to Calexico's new EP "Convict Pool". Slightly different, but pretty good. Other than that, lately I've been hip to the sounds of:

27 - Animal Life (just discovered them yesterday)
Tomahawk - Mit Gas
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
RATM - s/t (mainly cause I'm learning bass and it's easy and fun to play along to)
Mastodon - Remission
Enon - High Society

Tangy zizzle 04-09-2004 12:13 AM

[QUOTE]I just got done listening to Calexico's new EP "Convict Pool". Slightly different, but pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I've read reviews on this. They've been sayin' it's another very solid effort from the guys. Seems Calexico can't really do any wrong! What's the EP like?

OrbDragon 04-09-2004 03:09 AM

Calexico are god. They will also release a new record this year...it's called "Gilbert".

Tangy zizzle 04-09-2004 04:46 AM

I have to order all my Calexico CD's. Dam[I]n[/I] music stores here don't carry stuff like that.

Tangy zizzle 04-09-2004 04:53 AM

Kaada - [I]Thank You For Giving Me Your Valuable Time[/I] has been declared Tangy Zizzle's Official [B]Album of The Week[/B]

pendrightheloved1 04-09-2004 06:19 AM

Lately i've been listening to ALOT of sonic youth, pixies as usual, built to spill and getting back to alot of aphex twin and fatboy slim

cds i've been listening to to go to sleep are:
Velvet Underground - white light/white heat
AIR - Moon safari
Smiths - Greatest hits.

btw i never really liked the cows

wheelz 04-09-2004 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=NachoChez]Represent. Man, that's gonna be a great album.

I'm listening to [i]Pinkerton[/i], which is a masterpiece. I had it laying around for two years, and now I finally picked it up, and it's great.[/QUOTE]

i've done that a few times, it's such a good feeling. i'd get a cd, not really like it the first time through and forget about it. then a long time later i'd hear something good about it, go back and listen, and just really get into it. it's fun to do.

and i hope the new mission of burma is great, i hadn't heard of them before coming here but i've become a fan.

NakedRaygun872 04-09-2004 09:41 AM

Tangy zizzle and Nacho have turned me to Mission Of Burma.
I've been converted :)

Tangy zizzle 04-09-2004 04:44 PM

[QUOTE]Tangy zizzle and Nacho have turned me to Mission Of Burma.
I've been converted [/QUOTE]

Yaye! The Burma reigns supreme. Have you checked out the mp3's on the Matador site yet?

frogprincess 04-09-2004 05:25 PM

RCPM
Ghetto Cowgirl
Gloritone
The Gas Giants

Doctor D. 04-09-2004 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=Tangy zizzle]Hey! I like the Cows![/QUOTE]

We should start a possie.

immune_rocker 04-09-2004 11:11 PM

Band I've Been Diggin:

Hot Hot Heat -Check out their entire album Make Up The Break Down, head over to subpop.com

Steriogram -They're awesome. The dude talks so fast he'd make Busta Rhymes ashamed!

10 Minutes Down -Local Ska band, if you're into that go to their site 10minutesdown.com

Anti-Flag -Great political punk. Their newest album is The Terror State

Alien Crime Sydicate -Out of Seattle, should be releaseing a new album soon. Check out the song Ozzy, I belive you can download it on KaZaZ or something.

Brand New -Both Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu are great CD's

Chixdiggit -Great poppunk style band. Pretty humorus lyrics, nothing serious.

The Breifs -Like ^^^ old fashioned good time punk rock.

Vendetta Red -Shatterday is an awesome song, quite a few months old now though.

Phantom Planet -Great band. They do the OC's theme California. They've got a new single out Big Brat, which I think is better than California.

Temple Of The Dog -Tribute band to Andrew Wood, consists of Veddar, Cornell, Gossard, and Ament. Only one CD back in 1990 and is great, defenintly for any Pearl Jam/Soundgarden Fan

Travis -Check out Re-Offender.

Justin Riner Project -Against a wall and texas are both good songs. Check out their website for more. [url]http://www.popbandalice.com/jrproject/[/url]

Tangy zizzle 04-09-2004 11:15 PM

[QUOTE]We should start a possie.[/QUOTE]

Haha lets do that! MX Cows-heads.

Doctor D. 04-10-2004 11:41 AM

Give the word and my tagline is changed.

Tangy zizzle 04-11-2004 05:55 PM

Sweet as, lets do it then!

Scott Herren 04-11-2004 06:53 PM

This will come as little surprise, but I have been diggin old Belle and Sebastian lately.
Also a little Sufjan Stevens.

Doctor D. 04-11-2004 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Tangy zizzle]Sweet as, lets do it then![/QUOTE]

Done and done...come on Nacho!!! Make me proud boy!

Tangy zizzle 04-11-2004 10:49 PM

Hrmm, Should we make up titles aswell?

Whats your guys favourite Cows songs?

I'll go with:

Heave Ho
Down Below
Contamination

Doctor D. 04-11-2004 11:43 PM

I have to say:
Mine
Contamination
Terrifique
Uptown Suckers
The Warden
39 lashes
Life after beth

Disarmed 04-13-2004 11:33 AM

for me its been Roadside Monument they broke up but totally underrated, Kind of like Spitting, Fugazi (of course) Mewithout You, The Operation finally check out Rookie of the Year its an acoustic side project of Ryan from Farewell to Fashion

ZEROthirtythree 04-13-2004 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=NachoChez][SIZE=5]Someone else on this Earth has heard of the Cows.[/SIZE]

:eek:.[/QUOTE]

I could never find any songs by them anywhere. So I gave up on them.

I hope I'm not missing out.

incubliss 04-13-2004 02:12 PM

my album of the week has to be.

Gomez - Split the Difference

this album is great, but although i don't find it as good as In Our Gun, it's still a great album. worth your money definately. i have also been listening to...

(Faith No More - Angel Dust
Codeseven - The Rescue
Incubus A Crow Left of the Murder
Janes Addiction - Strays)

...lately, they are all great albums, and i love each one. i have only recently started listening to Codeseven, and they are a brilliant band, and people should get hte songs;

Give it to us
Danger
Sounds of Cyan and Magenta
The Rescue

anyway, that's all from me.

br3ad_man 04-13-2004 08:13 PM

^^^^ I'd better check them out, Nacho and Tangy like them so they have to be good, I'm digging noise stuff at the moment too.

Tangy zizzle 04-13-2004 08:38 PM

[QUOTE]^^^^ I'd better check them out, Nacho and Tangy like them so they have to be good, I'm digging noise stuff at the moment too.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid while your at it.

If you want some [I]real[/I] noise, check out some Lightning Bolt, Merzbow or Maldoror. :thumb:

br3ad_man 04-14-2004 12:30 AM

Cheers.. :chug:

Songs?

Tangy zizzle 04-14-2004 03:02 AM

Cows songs - Just see our favourites up the page a little.

Jesus Lizard - anything off of the album [I]Goat[/I]

Scratch Acid:

[I]Unlike a Baptist
Eyeball
Spit a Kiss
This is Bliss[/I]

--Be warned, most Lightning Bolt songs are [I]pretty[/I] intense--

Lightning Bolt:

[I]Long Stockings
Ride the Friendly Skies
On Fire
Crown of Storms[/I]

Merzbow:

[I]Animal Magnetism
My Station Rock
Quiet Men
Super Sheep
Tokyo Times Ten[/I]

OrbDragon 04-14-2004 10:08 AM

Holy Jesus! I just got into two incredible bands...one is called "Ozric Tentacles"...they are an amazing prog/experimental/space-rock band from the 70's. The other one is "The Tea Party"...a friend let me listen to their latest cd, and it's phenomenal.

neal_672 04-14-2004 10:19 AM

I've been listening to a lot more RATM and also the von bondies and the delays