Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

antiant 03-06-2006 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]When I was younger, I used to be way into the Luniz. Not so much anymore, but they're still good for a listen every now and then. I'm familiar with a lot of Bay Area names since I'm from that part of the globe, although I don't listen to much of the gangsta sh[I]i[/I]t that comes out; E-40's got some alright stuff, same with Brotha Lynch Hung. My brother was way into this stuff so I heard a lot of it by association.[/QUOTE]
cool yeah i'm from the same state, just not that area, but i think brotha lynch hung and x-raided specifically have a pretty good style however i'd like to hear more versatility...you know how you kinda know that some rappers have talent/potential they just fall under the wrong people or group and don't get the production you feel they deserve i think that goes with those two and it kind of sucks because the diversity and versatility that they have is stifled because of it and they never move into a new direction it's always the same old thing, yes they're good imo, but could be so much better if they were put into a different environment, too many guests artists and those guests artists aren't even that good in my opinion, but they get on the track because he's the artist "homie" so therefore they gotta show love etc etc i could go on, but i wish i could just pick up some rappers like a jigsaw puzzle piece and put them into another puzzle so to speak that way when you see the picture "you get the picture" literally and figuratively

dUSK 03-06-2006 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]yeah not too many people can take it, horrorcore rap that is, it talks about shyt that really scares people i suppose[/QUOTE]

Can you give the following song a listen and let me know if it's alone the lines of Horrorcore rap? I think it might be the Australian equivilant, but I figured I might as well ask someone with a decent knowledge of the rap industry.

[url=http://media.putfile.com/Suicidal-Rap-Orgy---Kitty-Fer]Suicidal Rap Orgy - Kitty ****er[/url]

antiant 03-07-2006 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=G_Mac07]Can you give the following song a listen and let me know if it's alone the lines of Horrorcore rap? I think it might be the Australian equivilant, but I figured I might as well ask someone with a decent knowledge of the rap industry.

[url=http://media.putfile.com/Suicidal-Rap-Orgy---Kitty-Fer]Suicidal Rap Orgy - Kitty ****er[/url][/QUOTE]
LOL...yeah that might be the "humorous" part of horrorcore that made me laugh so hard (i don't like that track though, it was horrible! it sounded like some bad punk music or something mixed with loud vocals, that's not really my cup of tea and it was poorly done, but i think that's the gist of horrorcore), i guess i like more of the "serious" stuff, a lot of times the beats will be very dark/haunting and or samples of horror movies while the artist rhymes over them, here are some examples:

1. X-Raided a.k.a. Nefarious - Wit A Mask On
2. Brotha Lynch Hung a.k.a. "The Rip Gut/Cannibal" - Die 1 By 1
3. Zigg Zagg a.k.a. Zagg - The Argument f. Brotha Lynch Hung
also check out these sites to get a better understanding of the sub-genre:
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horrorcore"]Horrorcore Rap[/URL]
[URL="http://www.horrorcore.com/"]http://www.horrorcore.com/[/URL]

and to learn more about Brotha Lynch Hung and his label Siccmade Musicc:
[URL="http://www.madesicc.com/"]http://www.madesicc.com/[/URL]

again this stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea due to the lyrical content, but you'll just have to see for yourself i guess and go from there

dUSK 03-07-2006 01:42 AM

Heh, I didn't say I liked it. I was just curious to know if it was Horrorcore or not. When I first heard it my thoughts were "omg how can people listen to this stuff!".

I'm downloading the other stuff now, but you should be aware that sharing using file hosting sites over mx is bannable offence.

antiant 03-07-2006 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=G_Mac07]Heh, I didn't say I liked it. I was just curious to know if it was Horrorcore or not. When I first heard it my thoughts were "omg how can people listen to this stuff!".

I'm downloading the other stuff now, but you should be aware that sharing using file hosting sites over mx is bannable offence.[/QUOTE]
since when? did they change the rules or something? because i see it constantly all over (sharing music)...but if that's the case i can get rid of them...yeah i laughed because i basically had the same reaction...hahaha just thinkin about it makes me laugh

dUSK 03-07-2006 02:02 AM

I just went to get the post that explained it all, and the thread has since been deleted or something. Looks like you can leave it. :)

Crapdragoon 03-07-2006 03:24 AM

stop snitchin stop lying

Bartender 03-07-2006 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=antiant]since when? did they change the rules or something?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=antiant]because i see it constantly all over[/QUOTE]

Where?

antiant 03-07-2006 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Bartender]Yes.[/quote]
do you know where they are and or how they were addressed?
[quote=Bartender]Where?[/QUOTE]
well i've seen a few trading via aim threads here and there and people still posting yousendit samples....but if anyone doesn't mind, maybe you can fill me in

Mediator 03-07-2006 06:52 PM

some hiphop Ive been listening too are eminem, kayne west, 50 cent, jammx (pretty new group), jammx is really different though, they sing about pretty positive stuff I think they are really going to be famous.

Robert Crumb 03-08-2006 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]you know how you kinda know that some rappers have talent/potential they just fall under the wrong people or group and don't get the production you feel they deserve[/QUOTE]

Definitely. It's a lot easier to find a decent rapper than it is to find a producer who comes right, let alone does something actually interesting, though. So you get a lot of rappers who have to settle with whatever beats they get. Or at least whatever rehashes they can get.

The funny thing about Brotha Lynch Hung is that there's a local entertainment magazine that has yearly awards and Hung always wins for best rapper. Well, it's not actually funny so much as it just is. Probably deserves it more than most of the asshats from around here, though.

sensitiveorgan00 03-08-2006 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]
well i've seen a few trading via aim threads here and there and people still posting yousendit samples....but if anyone doesn't mind, maybe you can fill me in[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't narc! Haha.

antiant 03-08-2006 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=sensitiveorgan00]Hey, don't narc! Haha.[/QUOTE]
my bad! i didn't mean to, but you're basically doing the same by bringing it up again...let it die! LOL

Glitterati 03-08-2006 07:06 PM

I heard horrorcore was, like, Insane Clown Posse :-/

Bartender 03-08-2006 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]do you know where they are and or how they were addressed?

well i've seen a few trading via aim threads here and there and people still posting yousendit samples....but if anyone doesn't mind, maybe you can fill me in[/QUOTE]

The full guidelines, I think, were up in an announcement for quite a while, but the announcement has since run its course. Things like the AIM trading thread and mailing lists are fine; the problem is basically with directly posting a yousendit (or rapidshare, or megaupload, etc) on the forums.

antiant 03-08-2006 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=Bartender]The full guidelines, I think, were up in an announcement for quite a while, but the announcement has since run its course. Things like the AIM trading thread and mailing lists are fine; the problem is basically with directly posting a yousendit (or rapidshare, or megaupload, etc) on the forums.[/QUOTE]
ahh i see thanks for the clarification

FA 03-08-2006 08:19 PM

So what's everyone's favorite Mos Def album?

Subquestion: Do you dig Blackstar?

ATM 03-09-2006 09:26 AM

I just picked up cLOUDDEAD's s/t. Pretty nice so far.

LF96 03-09-2006 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=justinhughes2]So what's everyone's favorite Mos Def album?

Subquestion: Do you dig Blackstar?[/QUOTE]
Black On Both Sides easily, it's a more coherent album than the New Danger. The New Danger is nice tho, it's just rather boring at some points.

And I love Black Star, they're among my favourite hiphop groups and their only album is a hiphop classic if not only for the inclusion of Respiration, one of the greatest hiphop tracks ever. (I'm not saying the rest of the album is bad btw, it's all great material, otherwise I wouldn't call it classic)

deathscreamingsheep 03-09-2006 12:58 PM

Any of you guys fans of Sway. Some of his stuffs pretty dope but it's not really very serious.

DemonicRubberDucky 03-10-2006 10:34 AM

I don't like today's rap, but i do like Old-school and scratch rap, like:

Public Enemy
DJ Q-Bert
Jurassic 5
Cut Chemist
MF Doom

I don't know if this counts as hip-hop, but i'm a huge fan of electronica.

Lusine
Aphex Twin
Gescom
Mu-ziq/U-ziq

JonM 03-10-2006 10:59 AM

[quote=Slug]I just picked up cLOUDDEAD's s/t. Pretty nice so far.[/quote]I should have told you to listen to that a while ago. I figured you would like it.

Happymeal 03-10-2006 06:10 PM

I'm making a mix for my friend and myself but I'm running out of ideas. So yeah if I can get a few recommendations from you guys that'd be swell. I need some preferably catchy tunes, either upbeat or laid back but nothing too "dark" or complicated. Right now I have:

Prince Paul - "The Demo (What You Got)"
Mr. Dead feat. Bi - "Chemically Imbalanced"
Soul Junk - "Hogging All the Islands"
Blackalicious - "Chemical Calisthenics"
Prefuse 73 feat. Diverse - "Plastic"
Daughter Darling - "Things Untold"
Dalek - "Speak Bolumes"
Antipop Consortium - "Bubblz"
Outkast - "Liberation"
Dr. Octagon - "No Awareness"
Handsome Boy Modeling School - "The Truth"
Murs & Slug - "I Shot A Warhol"
Dizzee Rascal - "Get By"
Biz Markie - "Pickin' Boogers"

antiant 03-10-2006 06:29 PM

surprised you got daughter darling up there, there more "trip hop" (i love them by the way), but still cool with the stuff you got

Happymeal 03-10-2006 07:00 PM

Yeah, I plan on mixin' it up.

[QUOTE=me from the previous page because you people are too lazy to read it anyway]I'm making a mix for my friend and myself but I'm running out of ideas. So yeah if I can get a few recommendations from you guys that'd be swell. I need some preferably catchy tunes, either upbeat or laid back but nothing too "dark" or complicated. Right now I have:

Dalek - "Speak Bolumes"
Outkast - "Liberation"
Dizzee Rascal - "Get By"
Biz Markie - "Pickin' Boogers" [/QUOTE]

Zesty Mordant 03-13-2006 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Happymeal]I'm making a mix for my friend and myself but I'm running out of ideas. So yeah if I can get a few recommendations from you guys that'd be swell. I need some preferably catchy tunes, either upbeat or laid back but nothing too "dark" or complicated. Right now I have:

Dalek - "Speak Bolumes"
Outkast - "Liberation"
Dizzee Rascal - "Get By"
Biz Markie - "Pickin' Boogers"[/QUOTE]

A Tribe Called Quest- "Find a Way"
DangerDoom fr. Cee-lo- "Benzie Box"
Tha Alkaholiks- "Daaam"
Black Sheep- "This or That"
Common- "The Light"
The Roots- "Thought @ Work"
De La Soul- "The Grind Date"
Demigodz- "The Godz Must be Crazy"
Dilated Peoples- "Worst Comes to Worst"
Ice Cube- "It Was a Good Day"
Souls of Mischief- "93 til Infinity"
Jaylib- "The Red"
K-Os- "B-Boy Stance"
Latyrx- "Burning Hot in Cali on a Saturday Night"
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek- "The Blast"
Lootpack- "Weededed"
Ozomatli- "O Le Le"
Wyclef Jean- "Bubblegoose"
Aesop Rock- "Battery"

well, there's a few hope that helps.

pixiesfanyo 03-14-2006 08:55 AM

Happymeal, get me to send you Cyne's Evolution Fight sometime.

ATM 03-14-2006 09:21 AM

I want to hear Cyne. What is the background on him?

Happymeal 03-14-2006 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=pixiesfanyo]Happymeal, get me to send you Cyne's Evolution Fight sometime.[/QUOTE]

I've actually heard some songs from it some time ago, I will re-download them again, thanks for reminding me.

POINTLESS5448 03-14-2006 10:51 AM

does anyone have a nice selection of rap on slsk that i might be able to browse.