Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative & Indie (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What I've Been Digging Lately (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167945)

thetwaz 04-04-2004 10:18 AM

welcome to Alt/Indie Lucy :)

more quality shizznit:

I'm quite an Idlewild fan, so I'll reccomend some of their stuff. Their earlier albums are more punk, nowadays they're more indieish.

Albums-
The Remote Part
100 Broken Windows
Hope Is Important
Captain (EP)

Songs (2 from each album, quite interesting to see the difference.)-
You Held The World In Your Arms
I Never Wanted
Roseability
These Wooden Ideas
4 People Do Good
You Don't Have The Heart
Annihilate Now! (sp?)
Self Healer

asymm 04-04-2004 10:39 AM

Yesterday I found this cool little shop that has a relatively decent selection of indie stuff...so I picked up:

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
and
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Both great albums, I'm loving them

StreetlightRock 04-04-2004 10:46 AM

Streetlight Manifesto

Brian Setzar Orchestra
Stray Cats...
^
and other jazz rock ppl can reccomend?

DVG.

ZEROthirtythree 04-04-2004 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=lucy_is_short_for_lucifer]W00t for Pixies! And if you don't know them, try the album Death To The Pixies, especially Holiday Song, which is (IMHO) brilliant.
I've also been listening to Queen Adreena ("alternative" and ethereal). Songs to hear: Friday's Child and Soda Dreamer.
"Hi, I'm new to this forum!" btw. Just in case you cared :)[/QUOTE]

clever name.

if you dont know who the pixies are, just download "where is my mind." That song got everyone i know into them.

bruise_pristine 04-04-2004 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=lucy_is_short_for_lucifer]W00t for Pixies! And if you don't know them, try the album Death To The Pixies, especially Holiday Song, which is (IMHO) brilliant.
I've also been listening to Queen Adreena ("alternative" and ethereal). Songs to hear: Friday's Child and Soda Dreamer.
"Hi, I'm new to this forum!" btw. Just in case you cared :)[/QUOTE]

Pixies are great, I think their best album is Dolittle. Your a Queen Adreena Fan, thats cool do you also like Daisy Chainsaw? :thumb:

moderaterock222 04-04-2004 01:28 PM

I guess the most recent band ive got into are sonic youth. I had daydream nation ages ago, listened to it, thought it was awful and left it for about a year. I listened to it the other week and now i think its awesome. I also got dirty which is also great.

Also electris soft parades second album the american advernture is very good. And theres Set fire to flames and neutral milk hotel

Luxor 04-04-2004 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=Tangy zizzle]^^Hehe, start off at the melodic death metal. Soon you'll be enjoying the likes of Between the Buried and Me, Carcass and Cryptopsy.[/QUOTE]

[i]Between The Buried And Me[/i]... *drools*

:thumb:

slim thugga 04-04-2004 04:17 PM

Sorry, forgot you were supposed to name songs:

J5:
Concrete Schoolyard
In the Flesh
Quality Control
Monkey Bars
Concrete and Clay

ATDIrock 04-05-2004 02:25 AM

Random songs that I've been digging lately:

D'yer Ma'ker - Led Zep version and Sheryl Crow version
All for Believing - Missy Higgins
Arctic Snow - Burning Brides (thanks Tangy :thumb: )
Safe Forever - Gyroscope

Bands I've been digging lately:

Led Zep
Tool
Cure
ATDI
Gorillaz
Weather Report

Albums I've been digging lately:

ATDI - Relationship of Command
Sparta - Wiretap Scars
The Mars Volta - Tremulant EP
The Cure - Japanese Whispers
The Cure - Bloodflowers
Antiskeptic - Aurora

neal_672 04-05-2004 01:41 PM

Albums: Auf Der Maur - Self Titled
Burning Brides - Fall Of The Plastic Empire (that thread made me start listening to it again)
The Delays - Faded Seaside Glamour
Nirvana - Basically every album they've done...... Aniversary of Kurts death made me start listening again...

myiaa 04-05-2004 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=neal_672]The Delays - Faded Seaside Glamour[/QUOTE]
I've heard Bedroom Syndication (I think that's what it's called) on a free CD with a magazine and like it. What's the album like?

neal_672 04-05-2004 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=myiaa]I've heard Bedroom Syndication (I think that's what it's called) on a free CD with a magazine and like it. What's the album like?[/QUOTE]

The songs called Bedroom Scene. It's fantastic, it's really mellow and the guy has a fantastic range within his voice. I really really recommend it, it can get slightly samey on a few tracks but for what they're doing it's refreshingly different to be honest.

Recommended songs:

Long Time Coming
Nearer Than Heaven
There's Water Here

mi_nombre 04-05-2004 03:17 PM

the kills "keep on your mean side" lp (cat claw, f'uck the people, black rooster, wait)
yeah yeah yeahs "fever to tell" lp (date with the night, modern romance, maps, black tongue)

OPIV 04-05-2004 07:18 PM

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (the 3 songs i've heard from it, anyway)

So What?
All Blues
Blue and Green

I definitely plan to buy this album the next time I'm out, along with:
Pixies - Surfer Rosa or Dolittle
Unwound - Repetition
Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album or Transatlanticism
The Mars Volta - DeLoused in the Comatorium
The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

Tangy zizzle 04-06-2004 03:00 AM

[QUOTE]the kills "keep on your mean side" lp (cat claw, f'uck the people, black rooster, wait)[/QUOTE]

Good Choice.

I've recently(2 weeks ago) discovered Gang of Four. They are a very cool band. Kind of like Post-Punk/ Proto Dance Punk. I'm liking them [I]very very [/I] much

Tomahawk 04-06-2004 04:26 AM

In the past few days I've been listening to Midnight Oil. They're well known in Australia, but probably nowhere else. They've been around since the 70s, it's rock music I guess but they definitely have their own sound. They have fairly political lyrics, mainly about the treatment of Aboriginies in Australia and stuff like that. I never really liked them until I saw a clip of them live the other day, and it blew me away so I got their greatest hits, and it's pretty good.

If you wanna check them out, try "US Forces", "Blue Sky Mine", and "Beds are Burning".

slim thugga 04-06-2004 08:31 AM

I've been listening to The (International) Noise Conspiracy lately. (Mainly becuase they're coming to SA soon. :) )

Dennis Lyxzen from [b]Refused[/b] is their singer. :thumb:

If you haven't heard them a few good songs are:

Up for Sale
A Northwest Passage
Breakout 2001
[b]Added:[/b] Bigger Cages, Longer Chains

These are off A New Morning, Changing Weather. It's the only one I have at the time. :upset:

:eek: 2,000th post. I'm glad it was a good one. :)

Phunphone 04-06-2004 09:01 AM

I found loads of Return to Forever and Bob Marley records in my dad's tapes, and Porcupine Tree; it hasn't been an hour since I bought In Avsentia, and I'm impressed.

moderaterock222 04-06-2004 10:34 AM

Ive also been totally diggin the cinematic orchetra's 'every day' record.

Check out:

-everyday
-all things to all men
-burn out

mi_nombre 04-06-2004 02:29 PM

i just started listening to dylan. now i have both his and the white stripes version of "one more cup of coffee" in my head. and i LOVE both of them

wheelz 04-06-2004 05:19 PM

explosions in the sky - memorial
explosions in the sky - your hand in mine
prefuse 73 - when irony wears thin
prefuse 73 - robot snares got no cadence or balance
these arms are snakes - the blue rose
franz ferdinand - take me out
burning brides - arctic snow
blackalicious - make you feel that way
badly drawn boy - born again
mission of burma - wounded world
ima robot - dynomite
dilated peoples - claimin' respect
dalek - swollen tounge bums

there's some currently dug songs from moi

OPIV 04-06-2004 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=-El Hefe-]I've been listening to The (International) Noise Conspiracy lately. (Mainly becuase they're coming to SA soon. :) )

Dennis Lyxzen from [b]Refused[/b] is their singer. :thumb:

If you haven't heard them a few good songs are:

Up for Sale
A Northwest Passage
Breakout 2001
[b]Added:[/b] Bigger Cages, Longer Chains

These are off A New Morning, Changing Weather. It's the only one I have at the time. :upset:

:eek: 2,000th post. I'm glad it was a good one. :)[/QUOTE]

T(I)NC are playing my town tonight. It's a shame I can't go, since it's a late show and on a school night. :(

Doctor D. 04-06-2004 08:28 PM

I've been listening to these bands/artists lately:

T-Model Ford
The Melvins
Tomahawk
Pixies
Dalek
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
Bad Religion
Sonic youth
Deadweight
Opium Jukebox
The Cows

I love them all so much. But thats basically all I've been listening to....plus some Fishbone. Gotta have some Fishbone.

Xhosas 04-06-2004 09:00 PM

Just to add to The (international) noise conspiracy above ^^,
Definitely try to listen to:
T(I)NC - Capitalism Stole My Virginity

Its by far their best song

Lately Ive really gotten into the electro-punk/rock sound and I definetly recommend some of these tracks to listen to:

Gerling - Blood on the microphone pt. 1
Gerling - Who's your daddy?
Goodshirt - Green
Goodshirt - Blowing Dirt
Radiohead - Anything on Kid A

And if anyone outside Australia would like to hear what Australian Hip Hop sounds like, I recommend:

Hilltop Hoods - Nosebleed Section
The Herd - 76%
1200 Techniques - Karma

Tangy zizzle 04-06-2004 10:06 PM

[QUOTE]Someone else on this Earth has heard of the Cows.[/QUOTE]

Hey! I like the Cows!

br3ad_man 04-07-2004 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=NachoChez]I'm listening to [i]Pinkerton[/i], which is a masterpiece. I had it laying around for two years, and now I finally picked it up, and it's great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one is genius...too underrated (eg. Worst Album Of The Year in Rolling Stone)

wheelz 04-07-2004 11:51 PM

anything off prefuse 73's uprock studies and vocal narritives album...

finally got it today, i think i just might prefer it to one word extinguisher. and i clearly was a big fan of that one.

Jexploder 04-08-2004 12:01 AM

I've really been digging :
Buckethead
The Stone Roses
...and of course Led Zep and Floyd.

br3ad_man 04-08-2004 12:28 AM

^^ How come all the new people on Alt. and Indie are cool, but all the Rock and Metal ones are stupid? I love this forum.

The Cameo Role 04-08-2004 08:03 AM

I just picked up Woody Guthrie- The Asch Recordings Vol. 1, it's kick ***. I've been listening to that and a lot of Bob Dylan lately. I've also been digging Jane's Addiction- Nothing's Shocking and Miles Davis- Bitches Brew. Whoever asked for Jazz-Rock should check that out.