Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

FlyingPaul_83 11-23-2005 08:02 PM

Are Jedi mind tricks good?

My friend told me about them, but I havent gotten a chance to hear them yet.

Bartender 11-24-2005 09:32 AM

They're quite good. The beats/music/samples (etc) are mostly great, but the vocals make it suffer a bit. He (Vinnie Paz) has his moments, but even they seem to have a preoccupation with being a hypocrite, and generally a bit of an idiot.

sweboy 11-24-2005 09:46 AM

Bartender has got it down. They have some really powerful beats, and mixed with aggresive rhymes it sounds sweet. "I'm the motherfu[SIZE=2]c[/SIZE]king baboon. Hit you with thirty seven stab wounds". Awesome. But I don't what's up with dissing gay people and stuff like that.

On The Edge 11-24-2005 05:19 PM

Yeh Jedi Mind Tricks are ok. Tibetan Black Magicians is one of my favourite songs, so aggressive.

Been spinning:
Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030
Atmosphere- Seven's Travels
Jurassic 5- Quality Control

Up next, my first listen of Nas- Illimatic.

Should be good.

Excursions 11-24-2005 05:31 PM

I agree about Jedi Mind Tricks. Some really good beats but the rapping by Vinnie for the majority gets samey after a while. The lyrics don't really opeal either.

Happymeal 11-24-2005 08:36 PM

Death Comet Crew's [I]This is Rip Hop[/I] is neat-o.

Delay Pedal Boy 11-24-2005 08:56 PM

listenin thru Shiggar Fraggar Show Vol. 4... and wow. the ISP are dope, ill, fresh and all other hip-hop adjectives that do not spring to mind.

Illmatic 11-25-2005 12:59 AM

[QUOTE]Up next, my first listen of Nas- Illimatic.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy :)

On The Edge 11-25-2005 02:50 AM

I hope the hype accounts for something. 3 more tracks till It's on on my playlist.

Reccomend some more rap for me guys?

Sort of Deltron 3030/Jurassic 5/Atmopshere sort of groups/artists?

Also, what NWA and Public Enemy albums should I get first?

Thanks

Happymeal 11-26-2005 08:22 AM

I've been invited to see Murs/Pumpkinhead on the 10th. Are they good live?

3rdplanet 11-26-2005 08:34 AM

What do people think of Brother Ali?

My friend lent me [I]Shadows on the Sun[/I], it's pretty good.

[QUOTE=JonM]Yo, I found it [K'naan Record], and it is [i]AMAZING[/i].[/QUOTE]

Certainly is.

Jacaranda 11-26-2005 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=On The Edge]Also, what NWA and Public Enemy albums should I get first?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
[I]Straight Outta Compton[/I] and [I]It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back[/I].

/cliche

Bartender 11-26-2005 02:07 PM

[QUOTE]I've been invited to see Murs/Pumpkinhead on the 10th. Are they good live?[/QUOTE]

Similarly, I just found out about a Madlib/Peanut Butter Wolf show near me in the near future.

Same question?

JonM 11-26-2005 02:13 PM

I'll bet Madlib is pretty good. I don't know about any of the others.

I'm hoping to get to the Breedlove Odyssey on Wednesday, even without Mos. I've heard Talib's set is still amazing, and plus [i]K'NAAN![/I]

ATM 11-26-2005 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=3rdplanet]What do people think of Brother Ali?

My friend lent me [I]Shadows on the Sun[/I], it's pretty good.

Certainly is.[/QUOTE]

The track with Slug is cool.

Zesty Mordant 11-26-2005 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=JonM]I'll bet Madlib is pretty good. I don't know about any of the others.

I'm hoping to get to the Breedlove Odyssey on Wednesday, even without Mos. I've heard Talib's set is still amazing, and plus [i]K'NAAN![/I][/QUOTE]

I saw Talib Kweli when he opened for the Beasties. Yeah, he's da[COLOR="White"]m[/COLOR]n good. definately worth checking out.

I bought the Dangerdoom album a couple of days ago and I'm lovin' it.

zombie autopilot2 11-26-2005 11:53 PM

Anyone know any similar artists to Lil Wyte?

antiant 11-27-2005 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=zombie autopilot2]Anyone know any similar artists to Lil Wyte?[/QUOTE]
you've got to be kidding me lmao hahahaha...*throws tomato's@zombie* get off the stage you clown!

erm...try three six mafia, juvenile, b.g, cash money, mike jones, paul wall, lil wayne, master p and basically all that southern/midwest repetitive country slang/twang stuff...i'm sure you'll find someone similar afterall they bite off each other ;)

Robert Crumb 11-27-2005 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=Bartender]Similarly, I just found out about a Madlib/Peanut Butter Wolf show near me in the near future.

Same question?[/QUOTE]

I'd reckon that would be pretty awesome, I'd be there. I've never seen either, though. I think some leg of that tour hit San Francisco recently/in the near future.

zombie autopilot2 11-27-2005 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=antiant][B]you've got to be kidding me lmao hahahaha...*throws tomato's@zombie* get off the stage you clown![/B]

erm...try three six mafia, juvenile, b.g, cash money, mike jones, paul wall, lil wayne, master p and basically all that southern/midwest repetitive country slang/twang stuff...i'm sure you'll find someone similar afterall they bite off each other ;)[/QUOTE]

Uhhh ok?

ArC 11-28-2005 01:27 PM

I'm getting more into rap and hip-hop everyday.

Groups and Artists I've been listening too.

[b]Haiku D'Etat[/b] - I love their self titled. A line I like "They eat, then they smoke, then they wanna eat too"

[b]Saul Williams[/b] - Again, love him. Great writer and poet. Guest vocals on his album with Zach De La Rocha (sp?) was a nice treat. He was in that movie "Slam" that was VERY good.

A Tribe Called Quest
Danger Doom
Sage Francis (though I can't really enjoy this angrier numbers)
N.W.A. ("Life ain't nothin but bitches and money")

Any recommendations? I'm really into trip-hop, so hip-hop groups with solid grooves appeal too me.

antiant 11-28-2005 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=ArC]I'm getting more into rap and hip-hop everyday.

Groups and Artists I've been listening too.

[b]Haiku D'Etat[/b] - I love their self titled. A line I like "They eat, then they smoke, then they wanna eat too"

[b]Saul Williams[/b] - Again, love him. Great writer and poet. Guest vocals on his album with Zach De La Rocha (sp?) was a nice treat. He was in that movie "Slam" that was VERY good.

Any recommendations? I'm really into trip-hop, so hip-hop groups with solid grooves appeal too me.[/QUOTE]
there's a trip hop thread (in the other forum of course) lying around here if you do a search in which i recommended some artists (i don't feel like naming them all again unless you don't feel like searching then i'll name some) saul williams definitive must...do you have all of saul's albums? haiku d'etat heard of them, but haven't got around to listen to the group yet and one of the group members abstract rude has some solo stuff out i got some of his stuff i'd highly recommend him...uhhh let's see here's a little list:
1. Abstract Rude
2. Saul Williams (if you don't have his other stuff)
3. Ursula Rucker (more on a spoken word vibe accompanied with chill-like beats/reflective-beats/slightly hip-hop not much but i'd recommend her)
4. Asian Dub Foundation (varied musical genre)
5. 7L & Esoteric
6. Aceyalone
7. Murs
8. Baby Blak (i haven't heard anyone mention him...i'd definitely check him out as well)
9. Eternia (from Canada just bought her 1st album and awaiting the arrival for it)
10. Dialated Peoples
11. Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy (now defunct, but you can still get some of their stuff, one of the group members Michael Franti now is solo check out Michael Franti & Spearhead it's not really hip-hop based per se, but he still keeps it "conscious" and has different elements in his music aside from hip-hop)
12. Pharoah Monch
13. Planet Asia
14. Roots Manuva
15. Zion I

Fall_Of_Man 12-03-2005 03:47 AM

Could some one recommed me rap any type i dont really care

thanks...

Merkaba 12-03-2005 04:25 AM

Anything by Rakim

3rd Bass....The Cactus Album, and Derelicts of Dialect

Sir Mix a lot....Seminar Album

Beware...thats all old school lyric based rap.

antiant 12-03-2005 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Fall_Of_Man]Could some one recommed me rap any type i dont really care

thanks...[/QUOTE]
just look through this thread and pick some out and listen

nyltiak 12-03-2005 03:32 PM

I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC
And Dj Honda, if that counts.

Anyone have suggestions for stuff that's similar to any of these?

antiant 12-03-2005 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=nyltiak]I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC
And Dj Honda, if that counts.

Anyone have suggestions for stuff that's similar to any of these?[/QUOTE]
Pharoh Monch
Paris, The Black Panther Fugitives (if you want something like/similar to Dead Prez)
Living Legends
The Last Poets
Ozomatli (one of the Jurassic 5 members or some of them i can't remember, are apart of Ozomatli)
Colossus, Warsawpack (possibly similar, kinda sorta to the roots if you're going for the whole band vibe type of thing with "conscious" lyrics...i mentioned colossus as a thread, but no one took a bite at it *shrugs*)
Eric B & Rakim

hope that helps out

Bartender 12-03-2005 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]Pharoh Monch[/QUOTE]

Is he in a group or collective as well? I seem to remember he is (and a recommendation that I should check it out), but I'm not sure.

Robert Crumb 12-03-2005 07:46 PM

Pharoahe Monch was with Organized Konfusion. Iai probably recommended them, I know I've seen him mention them a couple times. Darn good stuff.

HipHopDontStop 12-11-2005 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=nyltiak]I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC