Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hip-Hop Community, Rules and Essential Listening Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375699)

3rdplanet 11-26-2005 08:34 AM

What do people think of Brother Ali?

My friend lent me [I]Shadows on the Sun[/I], it's pretty good.

[QUOTE=JonM]Yo, I found it [K'naan Record], and it is [i]AMAZING[/i].[/QUOTE]

Certainly is.

Jacaranda 11-26-2005 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=On The Edge]Also, what NWA and Public Enemy albums should I get first?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
[I]Straight Outta Compton[/I] and [I]It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back[/I].

/cliche

Bartender 11-26-2005 02:07 PM

[QUOTE]I've been invited to see Murs/Pumpkinhead on the 10th. Are they good live?[/QUOTE]

Similarly, I just found out about a Madlib/Peanut Butter Wolf show near me in the near future.

Same question?

JonM 11-26-2005 02:13 PM

I'll bet Madlib is pretty good. I don't know about any of the others.

I'm hoping to get to the Breedlove Odyssey on Wednesday, even without Mos. I've heard Talib's set is still amazing, and plus [i]K'NAAN![/I]

ATM 11-26-2005 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=3rdplanet]What do people think of Brother Ali?

My friend lent me [I]Shadows on the Sun[/I], it's pretty good.

Certainly is.[/QUOTE]

The track with Slug is cool.

Zesty Mordant 11-26-2005 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=JonM]I'll bet Madlib is pretty good. I don't know about any of the others.

I'm hoping to get to the Breedlove Odyssey on Wednesday, even without Mos. I've heard Talib's set is still amazing, and plus [i]K'NAAN![/I][/QUOTE]

I saw Talib Kweli when he opened for the Beasties. Yeah, he's da[COLOR="White"]m[/COLOR]n good. definately worth checking out.

I bought the Dangerdoom album a couple of days ago and I'm lovin' it.

zombie autopilot2 11-26-2005 11:53 PM

Anyone know any similar artists to Lil Wyte?

antiant 11-27-2005 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=zombie autopilot2]Anyone know any similar artists to Lil Wyte?[/QUOTE]
you've got to be kidding me lmao hahahaha...*throws tomato's@zombie* get off the stage you clown!

erm...try three six mafia, juvenile, b.g, cash money, mike jones, paul wall, lil wayne, master p and basically all that southern/midwest repetitive country slang/twang stuff...i'm sure you'll find someone similar afterall they bite off each other ;)

Robert Crumb 11-27-2005 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=Bartender]Similarly, I just found out about a Madlib/Peanut Butter Wolf show near me in the near future.

Same question?[/QUOTE]

I'd reckon that would be pretty awesome, I'd be there. I've never seen either, though. I think some leg of that tour hit San Francisco recently/in the near future.

zombie autopilot2 11-27-2005 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=antiant][B]you've got to be kidding me lmao hahahaha...*throws tomato's@zombie* get off the stage you clown![/B]

erm...try three six mafia, juvenile, b.g, cash money, mike jones, paul wall, lil wayne, master p and basically all that southern/midwest repetitive country slang/twang stuff...i'm sure you'll find someone similar afterall they bite off each other ;)[/QUOTE]

Uhhh ok?

ArC 11-28-2005 01:27 PM

I'm getting more into rap and hip-hop everyday.

Groups and Artists I've been listening too.

[b]Haiku D'Etat[/b] - I love their self titled. A line I like "They eat, then they smoke, then they wanna eat too"

[b]Saul Williams[/b] - Again, love him. Great writer and poet. Guest vocals on his album with Zach De La Rocha (sp?) was a nice treat. He was in that movie "Slam" that was VERY good.

A Tribe Called Quest
Danger Doom
Sage Francis (though I can't really enjoy this angrier numbers)
N.W.A. ("Life ain't nothin but bitches and money")

Any recommendations? I'm really into trip-hop, so hip-hop groups with solid grooves appeal too me.

antiant 11-28-2005 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=ArC]I'm getting more into rap and hip-hop everyday.

Groups and Artists I've been listening too.

[b]Haiku D'Etat[/b] - I love their self titled. A line I like "They eat, then they smoke, then they wanna eat too"

[b]Saul Williams[/b] - Again, love him. Great writer and poet. Guest vocals on his album with Zach De La Rocha (sp?) was a nice treat. He was in that movie "Slam" that was VERY good.

Any recommendations? I'm really into trip-hop, so hip-hop groups with solid grooves appeal too me.[/QUOTE]
there's a trip hop thread (in the other forum of course) lying around here if you do a search in which i recommended some artists (i don't feel like naming them all again unless you don't feel like searching then i'll name some) saul williams definitive must...do you have all of saul's albums? haiku d'etat heard of them, but haven't got around to listen to the group yet and one of the group members abstract rude has some solo stuff out i got some of his stuff i'd highly recommend him...uhhh let's see here's a little list:
1. Abstract Rude
2. Saul Williams (if you don't have his other stuff)
3. Ursula Rucker (more on a spoken word vibe accompanied with chill-like beats/reflective-beats/slightly hip-hop not much but i'd recommend her)
4. Asian Dub Foundation (varied musical genre)
5. 7L & Esoteric
6. Aceyalone
7. Murs
8. Baby Blak (i haven't heard anyone mention him...i'd definitely check him out as well)
9. Eternia (from Canada just bought her 1st album and awaiting the arrival for it)
10. Dialated Peoples
11. Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy (now defunct, but you can still get some of their stuff, one of the group members Michael Franti now is solo check out Michael Franti & Spearhead it's not really hip-hop based per se, but he still keeps it "conscious" and has different elements in his music aside from hip-hop)
12. Pharoah Monch
13. Planet Asia
14. Roots Manuva
15. Zion I

Fall_Of_Man 12-03-2005 03:47 AM

Could some one recommed me rap any type i dont really care

thanks...

Merkaba 12-03-2005 04:25 AM

Anything by Rakim

3rd Bass....The Cactus Album, and Derelicts of Dialect

Sir Mix a lot....Seminar Album

Beware...thats all old school lyric based rap.

antiant 12-03-2005 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Fall_Of_Man]Could some one recommed me rap any type i dont really care

thanks...[/QUOTE]
just look through this thread and pick some out and listen

nyltiak 12-03-2005 03:32 PM

I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC
And Dj Honda, if that counts.

Anyone have suggestions for stuff that's similar to any of these?

antiant 12-03-2005 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=nyltiak]I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC

Anyone have suggestions for stuff that's similar to any of these?[/QUOTE]
Pharoh Monch
Paris, The Black Panther Fugitives (if you want something like/similar to Dead Prez)
Living Legends
The Last Poets
Ozomatli (one of the Jurassic 5 members or some of them i can't remember, are apart of Ozomatli)
Colossus, Warsawpack (possibly similar, kinda sorta to the roots if you're going for the whole band vibe type of thing with "conscious" lyrics...i mentioned colossus as a thread, but no one took a bite at it *shrugs*)
Eric B & Rakim

hope that helps out

Bartender 12-03-2005 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=antiant]Pharoh Monch[/QUOTE]

Is he in a group or collective as well? I seem to remember he is (and a recommendation that I should check it out), but I'm not sure.

Robert Crumb 12-03-2005 07:46 PM

Pharoahe Monch was with Organized Konfusion. Iai probably recommended them, I know I've seen him mention them a couple times. Darn good stuff.

HipHopDontStop 12-11-2005 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=nyltiak]I like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Gangstarr
Immortal Technique
Jurassic 5
NWA
Public Enemy
The Roots
Run DMC

Anyone have suggestions for stuff that's similar to any of these?[/QUOTE]

try:
DJ Yoda (if that counts!)
Beastie Boys
Above The Law
2pac
AiM
Cypress Hill
Digital Underground
Big Punisher
DJ Format
Handsome Boy Modelling School
Wu-Tang Clan
Inspectah Deck
The Pharcyde
Hashim
KRS-One
Rae & Christian

all awesome artists, hope it helps!

Street Spirit (Fade Out) 12-19-2005 08:08 PM

lately i've been listening to Old Jay-z old nas and Wutang

xxGumbyxx 12-20-2005 12:01 AM

I really like that song from Nate Dogg's album ft. Pharoah Monch. I think it's called "I Pledge Allegiance."

I was lucky enough to meet the man at the Carson, CA mall a few years ago. Just wonderin' is anyone else here from the Carson/Compton area?

Robert Crumb 12-20-2005 12:01 PM

I think I went to go see a soccer game at the Home Depot Center in Carson once. But no, not from there.

Anyone got a list of favorites from '05? I was thinking of making a thread but meh. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Zesty Mordant 12-20-2005 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]
Anyone got a list of favorites from '05? I was thinking of making a thread but meh. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same myself, but posting it in here may be just as good.

my Top 5 would be:

1) Common- [I]Be[/I]
2) Blackalicious- [I]The Craft[/I]
3) Quasimoto- [I]The Further Adventures of Lord Quas[/I]
4) Dangerdoom- [I]The Mouse and the Mask[/I]
5) Kanye West- [I]Late Registration[/I]

Illmatic 12-20-2005 02:45 PM

I've cooled off on Be, but I still like that one. I also really liked the new albums by Beanie Sigel, Damian Marley, and David Banner.

Ganondorf 12-20-2005 05:41 PM

Black Star

Robert Crumb 12-20-2005 08:11 PM

My order would probably change depending on the day of the week:

1. One Be Lo - SONOGRAM
2. Murs and Slug - Felt 2
3. Common - Be
4. Quasimoto - The Further Adventures...
5. Dangerdoom - The Mouse and the Mask
6. Roots Manuva - Awfully Deep
7. Blackalicious - The Craft
8. Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
9. Kanye West - Late Registration
10. Edan - Beauty and the Beat

tehfilter 12-27-2005 12:44 AM

Whos down with the guys over at Psycho+Logical records?
Im talking Necro, Ill Bill, Sabac, Mr Hyde, Goretex etc

Amit 12-27-2005 07:56 AM

[url]http://media.putfile.com/BoondocksT[/url]

I'd love songs like this...Recommendations?

Tyler 12-27-2005 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=FlyingPaul_83]Are Jedi mind tricks good?

My friend told me about them, but I havent gotten a chance to hear them yet.[/QUOTE]

They're alright, they used to be better before Jus Allah left (he came back, though). Violent By Design and Visions of Gandhi are both great albums, but you'll find that the rapping itself is nowhere as strong as Stoop's production. They're a fun, albeit aggressive group to listen to, and as long as you dont mind a few qausi-homophobic rhymes, you should be able to enjoy it.

[QUOTE=Eggo][url]http://media.putfile.com/BoondocksT[/url]

I'd love songs like this...Recommendations?[/QUOTE]

It’s kind of hard to grasp that sound from 12 seconds, but it seems as if you’re asking for some vaguely old school sounding Hiphop; some upbeat Hiphop. Definitely Jurassic 5 were the first to come to mine, but I’d say maybe check out an old Tribe Called Quest album, or maybe even some new Ugly Duckling. I don’t know if that’s what you’re really looking for, but that’s what I got.

Amit 12-27-2005 03:27 PM

Hm, the artist's name is Asheru if it helps any.

Tyler 12-27-2005 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Eggo]Hm, the artist's name is Asheru if it helps any.[/QUOTE]

Errr...it really doesnt. Still, I think Jurassic 5 is the way to go.

just_a_girl 01-02-2006 12:28 PM

I'm so glad there was actually a hip hop thread in here somewhere.

[QUOTE=Robert Crumb]Anyone got a list of favorites from '05? I was thinking of making a thread but meh. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.[/QUOTE]

Little Brother, The Minstrel Show
Supastition, Chain Letters
Adam 12, Skeletons
Intense, The Bohemian Pimp Project

In that order...

I'll be posting reviews on all of them (pretty much just revising reviews I do for another site) plus some others. Supastition is already done if you wanna take a look. (and a comment would be nice.)

[url]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?p=4811[/url]

BTW, has anyone heard of Far East Movement? I heard a few tracks from them & was looking into getting an album (if I can find one).

LF96 01-03-2006 08:03 AM

Did you hear The Deadline? Although it's short (it's actually a warm-up EP for Chain Letters) it's much better than Chain Letters imo, seeing as the latter bores me quite a bit (much like The Minstrel Show, although Chain Letters isn't as bad as Little Brother's album). I like soulful beats, but it gets played out real fast, therefore The Deadline is enjoyable because it's not a long album.

One of the best hiphop-albums of this year which I believe isn't mentioned yet is Blockhead's Downtown Science, it's instrumental hiphop and it's niiiice. Also, Ohmega Watts' debut album The Find is very good as well, it's funky like a train. :)

just_a_girl 01-03-2006 09:23 AM

Saying that soulful beats get "played out fast" is like saying you don't like hip hop. Hip Hop was built on soul beats. Hip hop IS soul. It's merely a variation of soul where cats talk rather than sing over the beats.

The Deadline is great, but like you said, it was just a warm up for Chain Letters, Supastition's crowning glory. Liking The Deadline because it was "shorter" seems to indicate that you didn't really like the album in the first place (if you did, you wouldn't be sitting there waiting for it to end).

Minstrel Show is actually going to be my next review, which gets a better score because they have perfected the hip hop formula (or at least perfected their application of the tried and true formula that always existed in hip hop). That is, soulful beats + tight rhymes, Period.

LF96 01-03-2006 01:40 PM

Well, I like soulful beats but I don't like how dudes like 9th Wonder make them (not anymore, that is). I used to be a big fan of 9th Wonder and I still like some of his work but he spreads out his producion too thin. I mean, how many beats has he made this year, and how many did actually sound original? Most of the time he just takes a soul sample (which was a lot of the times already sampled by someone else) and puts some very weak drums on it. In my opinion that's not sampling, that's looping. What people like RJD2, DJ Shadow and recently Edan do, that's what I call producing, they actually completely rework old songs instead of just looping some theme and putting some drums on it.

Also, hiphop = soulful beats? You got some homework to do, LOTS of hiphop samples other genres, the most obvious being funk and jazz, but also rock and classical music have been sampled by hiphop-producers. Sure, a lot of the greatest beats in hiphop have soul-samples, but saying every hiphop-beat is soulful is just straight bullsh[SIZE="2"]i[/SIZE]t.

Danger Bird 01-03-2006 02:12 PM

Anybody know why an anti-semetic band like Public Enemy toured with Anthrax, when Scott Ian is Jewish?

just_a_girl 01-03-2006 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=LF96]Also, hiphop = soulful beats? You got some homework to do, LOTS of hiphop samples other genres, the most obvious being funk and jazz, but also rock and classical music have been sampled by hiphop-producers. Sure, a lot of the greatest beats in hiphop have soul-samples, but saying every hiphop-beat is soulful is just straight bullsh[SIZE="2"]i[/SIZE]t.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say hip hop = soul sample, I said it = SOULFUL beats. For instance, Limp Bizkit(sp?) is not considered hip hop; they're a type of rock band because they have no soul. Mere rapping does not a hip hop album make, hip hop requires soul. I can name you plenty of songs that have sampled non-soul songs that are still "soulful" (funk and jazz are clearly soulful genres but hip hop has also transformed less soulful rock and pop tunes.)

Examples:

KRS One, Criminal Minded (with a sample of Hey Jude by the Beatles)
De La Soul, Dog Eat Dog (with a sample of Peaceful Sundown by the Jan Hammer Group)
Jay Z, Hard Knock Life (with a sample of the same title from from the Annie Musical)

...just to name a few more popular ones. They all use pop-y samples but clearly have a "soulful" sound.

Not only did I do my homework, but I'll be offering tutoring sessions after school if you're interested.

just_a_girl 01-03-2006 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Led-Zeppelin]Anybody know why an anti-semetic band like Public Enemy toured with Anthrax, when Scott Ian is Jewish?[/QUOTE]

Public Enemy is not an anti-semetic band. They were involved in two controversies that were misperceived as anti-semetic (most likely because the Anti-Defamation League pulls the race card more often than even the NAACP).

1) The member Professor Griff made negative comments concerning Zionists, a racist Jewish cult similar to Al'Queda in Islam or the KKK in Christianity. In spite of his explanation, he was "fired" from the group for it.

2) They made a song called "Swindler's Lust" intending to draw a comparison between the widely publicized holocaust to the much larger and less publicized tragedy of the US slave trade and the legalized disenfranchisement that followed. It was done subtly, through the title which is also repeated in the chorus, and without any lyrics degrading Jews or even the holocaust.

I mean the cofounder of their label Def Jam (who also produced their first two albums) was Jewish as well as their label mates the Beastie Boys, with whom they also toured. If they were really being anti-semetic they'd have been out of a job.

Illmatic 01-03-2006 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=just_a_girl]Public Enemy is not an anti-semetic band. They were involved in two controversies that were misperceived as anti-semetic (most likely because the Anti-Defamation League pulls the race card more often than even the NAACP).

1) The member Professor Griff made negative comments concerning Zionists, a racist Jewish cult similar to Al'Queda in Islam or the KKK in Christianity. In spite of his explanation, he was "fired" from the group for it.

2) They made a song called "Swindler's Lust" intending to draw a comparison between the widely publicized holocaust to the much larger and less publicized tragedy of the US slave trade and the legalized disenfranchisement that followed. It was done subtly, through the title which is also repeated in the chorus, and without any lyrics degrading Jews or even the holocaust.

I mean the cofounder of their label Def Jam (who also produced their first two albums) was Jewish as well as their label mates the Beastie Boys, with whom they also toured. If they were really being anti-semetic they'd have been out of a job.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it.