Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hardcore Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593)

zao592 07-18-2004 02:38 PM

hardcore bands that i listen to are bands like dogz of war, skare tactic, pride kills ect..

cbmartinez 07-18-2004 05:49 PM

Oh, that is weird. Their really good nonetheless.

Also, on the topic "Christian Bands," some kids said that Thrice and The Alkaline Trio are Christian. Is that true? I figured you might be able to tell me about Thrice at least.

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=Sk8SkaNJ]HAHAHAH! Yes! Thats on the Long Road Home DVD Right?

He like whips his headstock around and hits a guy.[/QUOTE]
i got it from cflhardcore.com. it was crazy, the fight just came out of nowhere and then the guitarist hits one of the guys with it. then it looks like he throws his guitar to the ground and runs in. did they hit him or something when they were fighting?

PoisonParadox 07-18-2004 06:03 PM

Warzone f[COLOR=White]u[/COLOR]cking rock

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=zao592]hardcore bands that i listen to are bands like dogz of war, skare tactic, pride kills ect..[/QUOTE]
skare tactic and pride kills are really good, i saw them when they went on tour together.

cbmartinez 07-18-2004 06:21 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thrice Christian, bwahahaha.

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 07:30 PM

the comeback kid/champion show is on the cbgb live stream.

art of losing 07-18-2004 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=NewKindofArmy03]the comeback kid/champion show is on the cbgb live stream.[/QUOTE]

link

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 07:37 PM

[url]www.cbgb.com[/url] then go to cybercasts. this sucks, it isn't working for me. maybe it was an early show, but i know it's today.

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 07:42 PM

nevermind. it was on at 5. this sucks, i was looking forward to watching it. i hope i go to the show here on wendsday.

axeslinga_32 07-18-2004 08:38 PM

i downloaded a between the buried and me song, guys. I think it lacks energy/emotion and the singer isnt powerful at all with his growls, i think its a case of doing it quietly and turning up the volume on the P.A.

maybe it was just the song i heard?

it's called destructo spin.

help me out, and suggest some more bands.

I'm interested in hardcore bands that are really original, and are unique in some special way (converge, refused, shai hulud etc.) and not the generic chugga chugga Im an angry masculin bald man! type hardcore ;) thanks heaps.

axeslinga_32 07-18-2004 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=cbmartinez24]Yeah, that's what I thought. Thrice Christian, bwahahaha.[/QUOTE]

dude, they started out paying at church youth groups..

I hear dustin is, apparently some of his lyrics point toward this? Anyone got an example?

art of losing 07-18-2004 08:40 PM

are you and angry masculin bald man?

NewKindofArmy03 07-18-2004 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=axeslinga_32]i downloaded a between the buried and me song, guys. I think it lacks energy/emotion and the singer isnt powerful at all with his growls, i think its a case of doing it quietly and turning up the volume on the P.A.

maybe it was just the song i heard?

it's called destructo spin.

help me out, and suggest some more bands.

I'm interested in hardcore bands that are really original, and are unique in some special way (converge, refused, shai hulud etc.) and not the generic chugga chugga Im an angry masculin bald man! type hardcore ;) thanks heaps.[/QUOTE]

download mordecai by BTBAM. check out psyopus. it's technical metalcore and they're really good. [url]http://www.pahardcore.com/bands/bands.cfm?id=10039[/url] they have a song to listen to on there.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=axeslinga_32]dude, they started out paying at church youth groups..

I hear dustin is, apparently some of his lyrics point toward this? Anyone got an example?[/QUOTE]

My friend used to go to all of their church shows before they were even signed and he's a die-hard Thrice fan. He's been following them from Day 1 and we've had this discussion... they're not Christian. [I]Dustin[/I] is a Christian and a big reason they get labeled as a Christian band is because in his lyrics and in Thrice's song titles there are references to Christian literature.

I don't think bands playing to church youth groups has much to do with anything either. Lots of bands do that that aren't Christian. I know Dillinger Escape Plan has played churches before.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 12:58 AM

Oh yeah, and anyone that wants [I]You Fail Me[/I]: I have the whole thing now, so hit me up on soulseek. BuddyBigsby.

syrUsbilt 07-19-2004 01:14 AM

I have it already. its alright. I'll probably buy it when they play here in a couple weeks, only because I am too lazy to burn it. Its not spectacular. Its pretty intense metal though.

syrUsbilt 07-19-2004 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=NewKindofArmy03]download mordecai by BTBAM. check out psyopus. it's technical metalcore and they're really good. [url]http://www.pahardcore.com/bands/bands.cfm?id=10039[/url] they have a song to listen to on there.[/QUOTE]

Between the Buried and Me isn't hardcore, they are a horrible, horrible metal band. T he kid who asked that wants metal bands, not hardcore bands.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=syrUsbilt]Between the Buried and Me isn't hardcore, they are a horrible, horrible metal band. T he kid who asked that wants metal bands, not hardcore bands.[/QUOTE]

Not liking them is understandable, but to say they're horrible is simply out of line. Play me some sweeps like Paul, their lead guitarist, plays. Create me a song that starts off with blast beats and carnage only to evolve into a soaring anthem of beauty in less than 4 minutes.

Like I said... I can see how some people can not like them and that's fine. But saying they're horrible is a bit too far.

syrUsbilt 07-19-2004 01:39 AM

nah they are pretty horrible.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 02:09 AM

Hahaha, funny you say that... I was at a church (slash: Christian rehab) show this past Friday and they have a gigantic mural of Jesus behind the stage and there was indeed about 10 kids hardcore dancing.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 02:25 AM

Hahaha, ok.

axeslinga_32 07-19-2004 03:17 AM

you're not online on soulseek BB, add me. axeslinga_32

Kamikaxe 07-19-2004 09:38 AM

....OK Now i'm confused!

....hey there if anyone is reading this!!!
I need to know if A.F.i is a hardcore band or just something else!
needing an answer here!!
bye :thumb:

art of losing 07-19-2004 12:19 PM

nah afi not hardcore, not even punk.
has anyone ever heard of the band called slapshot? my friend told me about them, they are an old time hardcore band and are pretty good.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 12:55 PM

AFI used to be hardcore/hardcore punk. Not anymore though.

Slapshot are goooooooood.

I Killd Kurt 07-19-2004 01:56 PM

essentially, most hardcore and metalcore are similar (if not almost exactly alike), so why whine about people mixing the two terms up? All the hardcore, metalcore, grindcore, emocores, etc. have one thing in common: they all end in "core" which comes from the term "hardcore" (and each genre is reminiscent of basic hardcore), so why not just let people call it all hardcore and let the sub-genres come into play when you are in an in-depth or specific discussion? Quit making up all these silly sub-categories and such. Oh yeah and sorry for being off topic or anything at all, I was just refferring to the original threadstarter's post.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 02:18 PM

Yeah, and I bet you think Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold are hardcore. There's a big difference between hardcore, metalcore, and the stuff that gets labeled as metalcore but isn't. Obviously, you know nothing about that.

I Killd Kurt 07-19-2004 02:37 PM

You have a point. Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold are not plain hardcore, not by a long shot. But I'm just saying it is easier to just call it all hardcore since it all stems from the same genre

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 02:56 PM

But the thing is... it doesn't. That's why this thread was made. Listen to some of the bands the threadstarter listed as hardcore and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Here.

Check out Count Me Out, Unbroken, and The Promise: [url]http://www.indecisionrecords.com/multimedia/index.html[/url]

If you want more straight up hardcore, download pretty much anything from [url]www.bridgenine.com[/url]

cbmartinez 07-19-2004 03:07 PM

Though I agree with the definitions at the beginning of the threads most "metalcore" bands use the word "hardcore" to describe their style, fans, etc. I was reading an interview with Eighteen Visions in [I]Outburn [/I](in which I found that 18V are edge and [I]Outburn [/I] gave the new KsE 10/10 and Obsessions 9/10) and they use the word hardcore to describe themselves and growing in the hardcore scene. This is the definition I am used to. I have never heard the term metalcore used outside this forum, save one or two times. I always called bands like PTW, Bleeding Through, A7x hardcore. Bands like Give Up the Ghost, Kill Your Idols and Husker Du were at first grouped into hardcore and then slowly hardcore punk. From what I had seen it seemed like kids who listened to pop-punk tended to call PTW hardcore, while punk kids, already having a genre called hardcore, called it metalcore. I don't know. The point I'm trying to make is that the definitions given in this thread were very good and I'm starting to get use to saying metalcore, I still use hardcore a lot of the time.

NewKindofArmy03 07-19-2004 03:18 PM

never seen it used outside of the forums? i see it all over the internet.

art of losing 07-19-2004 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]AFI used to be hardcore/hardcore punk. Not anymore though.

Slapshot are goooooooood.[/QUOTE]
i know, i need to find where i can get their cds. :thumb:

hookerwithpenis 07-19-2004 04:43 PM

I'll just break it down a little more... Metal(core) is based off of metal guitar riffs, Hardcore isn't. Metal(core) has the (core) in it for the fact all they did was incorporate the breakdown... You cannot say that both come close in comparrison. The sound that both genres are based around are completely different. A band like Shai Hulud and a band like The Black Dahlia Murder do not sound the same nor should even be considered to be grouped into the same genre... I have always kept hardcore and metalcore in seperate genres. I get so Fing annoyed by little kids who just got into the music when I hear "Atreyu is hardcore" or even worst "Bleeding Through is hardcore". Sometimes I just want to ask them if they are tone deaf or deaf in general. I'am done now...

I Killd Kurt 07-19-2004 05:06 PM

I guess where I was getting at with my post was to encourage you guys to sort of make hardcore its own genre. Like putting metalcore, emocore, whatever-the-f*ck-you-want-cores all under hardcore. Like hardcore could be a "mother genre", if you will. Punk has its sub-categories, metal has its sub-categories, so why can't we just have hardcore and its sub-categories instead of looking at hardcore and metalcore as completely different styles of music. As cbmartinez says, most "core" bands use the general term hardcore to describe their music. I know that metalcore and hardcore are quite different from eachother. I'm not deaf, so I can tell the differences. But anyways, good job, threadstarter. Your definitions of the music were clear and pretty good.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 05:56 PM

I see what you're saying I killd Kurt. Fair enough.

Let's Chop Cats! 07-19-2004 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=NewKindofArmy03]i got it from [url]http://www.cflhardcore.com[/url]. it was crazy, the fight just came out of nowhere and then the guitarist hits one of the guys with it. then it looks like he throws his guitar to the ground and runs in. did they hit him or something when they were fighting?[/QUOTE]
I'm on this website, it's awesome has a bunch of videos. I wish I actually owned this DVD though, so I can watch this kid get hit over and over again.

I Killd Kurt 07-19-2004 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]I see what you're saying I killd Kurt. Fair enough.[/QUOTE]

thank you, buddy

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 06:05 PM

Oh, about the Converge video:

Yeah, that's hillarious. It's actually the bassist that hits somebody in the head with his instrument though. Which I guess is technically a guitarist but still.

BuddyBigsby 07-19-2004 06:21 PM

Holy crap, it already comes out tomorrow? I had no idea.