Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hardcore Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593)

Special Brew 08-27-2005 02:34 AM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]Fallout Boy don't have a hardcore sound...[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=obese_breasts]I think he was meaning if a band had hardcore music but vocals like those of Fall Out Boy, not saying that Fall Out Boy were hardcore.[/QUOTE]
Bingo :thumb:

I still want someone to answer this:

[QUOTE=Damien Rhodes]What makes a band 'hardcore'? Is it determined by the way the songs are written instrumentally? Maybe it's the vocals? Lets say a band has a hardcore sound, except the singer, who sang in a clear poppish voice such as Fall Out Boy, would they still be considered hardcore? Or maybe its the lyrical content? But I've seen some varying lyrics in many hardcore bands. What is it exactly?[/QUOTE]

Johnny EPHC 08-27-2005 02:47 AM

It's not really an easy question to answer plainly. To me, like punk, hardcore is just as much an attitude as it is a sound, hence bands like Norma Jean aren't hardcore, just like Good Charlotte aren't punk. The music might sound similar, but there's more to it than just music. (Not that music is completely irrelivent)

I think it's kind of a ridiculous thing to ask (no offense) if the way songs are written instrumentally would make something hardcore or not. Every genre sounds different for a reason. While there are some bands that can blur the line between hardcore and metal, or hardcore and punk, hardcore IS a sound. Hardcore's riffs are (generally) more intense and complex than four powerchords in your average street punk song.

The song structure is often different, too. Instead of ending with a bridge that goes back into the chorus like a lot of punk songs too, hardcore songs often end with some sort of breakdown.

Sorry if that makes no sense, it's really really late and my brain hurts.

Special Brew 08-27-2005 02:54 AM

It makes sense. I was asking these questions because I was thinking about my band, who have up 'til I joined, been playing poppy psuedo-emo. But some of the songs I've written for them are basically melodic hardcore songs just our singer has that clean poppy voice. I was trying to figure out if we could possibly be considered hardcore because of the instrumental work. If hardcore is about the vocals or attitude, then we definately wouldn't fit in. I was listening to all these hardcore bands trying to find the similarities, and the main thing I could find in common was the vocals. Guitar work changes from band to band, some more like traditional punk, some almost metal. The only truly constant think has been aggressive vocals.

Johnny EPHC 08-27-2005 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=Damien Rhodes]It makes sense. I was asking these questions because I was thinking about my band, who have up 'til I joined, been playing poppy psuedo-emo. But some of the songs I've written for them are basically melodic hardcore songs just our singing has the clean poppy voice. I was trying to figure out if we could possibly be considered hardcore because of the instrumental work. If hardcore is about the vocals or attitude, then we definately wouldn't fit in. I was listenint to all these hardcore bands trying to find the similarities, and the main thing I could find was the vocals. Guitar work changes from band to band, some more like traditional punk, some almost metal. The only truly constant think has been aggressive vocals.[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/setyourgoals[/url]

Special Brew 08-27-2005 03:02 AM

In some ways we are like that band, but with a darker screamier feel and more melodic vocals. Actually, no, we aren't like them much at all :lol:

But thanks for showing me it could be done. Whenever we get the new demo recorded I'll post somewhere around here to see what you guys think. I guess hardcore is mainly the aggressive feeling in the music more than a specific playing style.

Johnny EPHC 08-27-2005 03:09 AM

[QUOTE=Damien Rhodes]In some ways we are like that band, but with a darker screamier feel and more melodic vocals. Actually, no, we aren't like them much at all :lol:

But thanks for showing me it could be done. Whenever we get the new demo recorded I'll post somewhere around here to see what you guys think. I guess hardcore is mainly the aggressive feeling in the music more than a specific playing style.[/QUOTE]
As far as generalizations go, that's probably the best you're going to get, but think of bands like Kid Dynamite (or even Gorilla Biscuits) who didn't have super agressive vocals or subject matter while still being two of the seminal bands of hardcore history.

I guess hardcore's just an enigma. I'm going to bed.

NewKindofArmy03 08-27-2005 10:16 AM

I would say Jason from KD has agressive vocals.

NewKindofArmy03 08-27-2005 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]And Make Move covers!

You know it! You know you know it! SO WHY YOU BULLS[font=verdana]H[/font]ITTIN'![/QUOTE]
That song is so good, it sucks that they broke up.

RetiredAt21 08-27-2005 11:50 AM

Rollin's vocals in Black Flag were br00tal.

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 12:12 PM

I either lost my iPod or it got stolen. I'm seriously depressed now.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 12:23 PM

Sucks balls.

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 12:25 PM

Big time

NewKindofArmy03 08-27-2005 12:40 PM

[url]http://www.floatingboymedia.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=5[/url]

Videos from Coalesce at the church, Champion and Good Clean Fun at the church, and Lifetime at the Stone Pony.

RetiredAt21 08-27-2005 12:49 PM

Sweet.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 01:02 PM

Awesome.

AndreTheHyena 08-27-2005 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=40 oz 2 freedom]I either lost my iPod or it got stolen. I'm seriously depressed now.[/QUOTE]

Dude, that sucks. Do you have all of your files backed up?

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 01:24 PM

Nope, none of them.

Angry Balled Fists! 08-27-2005 01:32 PM

Reiner, did you give me some + rep recently ?

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 01:33 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rancid Dan again.

I guess so. I was bored the other day and decided to rep random people.

Angry Balled Fists! 08-27-2005 01:38 PM

Oh right, cool thanks.

Johnny EPHC 08-27-2005 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=40 oz 2 freedom]I either lost my iPod or it got stolen. I'm seriously depressed now.[/QUOTE]
Ouch man, that ****ing sucks.

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 02:46 PM

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what to do right now. I'm spoiled by my iPod, and all my music is on it. I don't have anything on my computer.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 02:56 PM

How do you update it then?

Special Brew 08-27-2005 02:57 PM

F[b][i][/b][/i]uck man! Maybe you'll get lucky and it will turn up somewhere around your home.

And yes, I agree that KD has aggressive vocals. They are less so than many othe rbands but they aren't quite that pop punkish sound I am talking about.

SunnyDayAM 08-27-2005 03:04 PM

Reiner, can you do me a favor? Please tell me why am I banned and for how long. I have no idea why. Thanks.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 03:05 PM

I don't know why you're banned, but you have 14 hours left.

SunnyDayAM 08-27-2005 03:06 PM

Oh. Thanks, I appreciate it.

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=REINER]How do you update it then?[/QUOTE]

I don't do auto-update. My hard-drive is just a little over 30 gb on my computer.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-27-2005 03:07 PM

Ahh, that sucks. You should invest in a second hard drive.

40 oz 2 freedom 08-27-2005 03:09 PM

Yeah I really need to.