Review Summary: Their best work so far. Give it a listen at www.purevolume.com/mewithoutYou before purchasing their cd though.
mewithoutYou is a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based Indie Rock band. Though hard to truly classify their sound, mewithoutYou's music is generally dominated by lead vocalist Aaron Weiss, who, rather than singing, talks in dramatic, varied tones and pitches. The band also usually strays from typical song structures, creating a rather experimental style.
I'm a long time mewithoutYou fan, I had been waiting months for this cd to release, And I was not dissapointed in the least to finally get it
1. The Messes Of Men - The cd opens with the sound of rain, Then Arron Weiss comes in and starts his poetry, The song is all about adultry and lust. It has some cool bass and guitar riffs, nothing really noticable though, Arron Weiss' voice is so passionate on this song you can't help but instantly falling in love with it. Near the end a choir comes in and starts chanting some things in the background. This is one of my favorites off the cd
2. The Dryness & The Rain - This is a bit of a more positive song than the last. It's kind of average, Nothing really stands out on this. Bland guitar riffs, Although a good bass riff
3. Wolf Am I! (And Shadow) - Another favorite of mine off this cd, I absolutly love the way he speaks in this song. Also a very good guitar riff. Probubly the fastest song on the cd too, The end of the song he starts chanting "One day the water is going to wash it away!!". One of my favorite parts on the cd
4. Yellow Spider - This is a short acoustic song that runs at 1:10, Im not really sure what this is about, But it is quite good for a filler track
5. A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains - I usually just skip this song, The entire song is boring except when he chants the song name, There is a good guitar solo at the end though that is pleasent to listen to.
6. Nice & Blue Pt.2 - This song reminds me of "January 1979" from their last cd "Catch us for the foxes". It's a medium paced song through-out most of the song, There is a choir that chants in the background as Arron weiss does his poetic spoken word thing, It blends togather nicely, The guitar riff is kind of ugly. It reminded me of Norma Jean for some reason, Although I doubt anyone will agree with me
7. The Sun & The Moon - It starts off with a very nice, melodic guitar riff. The entire song is actually kind of melodic. The beat of the song hardly ever changes. His vocals are really good in this song, The lyrics go with the music very well. Overall a great track
8. Orange Spider. This is like Yellow Spider Pt.2 I guess, I don't know what this is about either. I really don't like it that much, They use the choir in the background and it just kind of sounds ugly. But they do use horns that sound very nice
9. C-Minor - I know i bring up guitar riffs a lot, but this song has my favorite guitar riff on the cd, They also use a horn which sounds very pretty, Good beat too. The chorus uses the choir once again. It goes very well with the song though. The lyrics are about..Him trying to stay a virgin I guess" Im a bit confused by them, But I know it has to do with Arron Weiss' relationship with God. Very passionate lyrics
10. In A Market Dimly Lit - The song starts with a very relaxing sound, Theres even an accordian which sounds pretty. at 1:30 the song explodes as Arron weiss starts yelling, the drums sound pretty tight. The versus are very laid back and he yells the chorus. There is a pretty cool guitar solo near the end of the song,
11. O, Porcupine - Probubly one of the more up-beat sounding tracks on the cd, Verse is pretty slow, the pace picks up at the chorus at 1:44 all you hear is some odd noises from the guitar and a drum beat, Then some weird drums come in, They may be bongos but im not sure, then some other drums come in to make a cool sound, then the choir starts chanting, and the last 50 seconds a guest vocalist comes in and I have no idea who it is, However the last minute of this song is yet another favorite part of mine on the cd
12. Brownish Spider - And I guess this is the last part in the spider parts. And my favorite too, It starts off with an accordian and some weird sounds, then a piano starts with acoustic guitar and Arron Weiss starts singing. Very pretty song
13. In A Sweater Poorly Knit - Starts off with some different sounds. Then the acoustic guitar comes in and the singing starts, This also has some of my favorite lyrics on the cd at 1:22 some harp comes in for like 10 seconds. Very good mix, Then a bit later in the song harp, accordian, And the choir kick in which just sounds beautiful. The last 50 seconds is just harp. I sometimes just replay those 50 seconds because it sounds so pretty. Great way to close the cd
Overall - This is the best work mewithoutYou has ever done. There aren't really any really bad songs on the cd. Arron Weiss' Vocals and lyrics are beautiful, They add a lot of intruments into different songs which makes the songs more interesting. Give them a listen at www.purevolume.com/mewithoutYou. Even though they don't really have many of their good songs there.