Gatherers

by Rowan5215 STAFF
November 29th, 2022 | 71 replies

Release Date: 11/18/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: worship and/or tribute

There's a certain subset of post-hard-emo-tinged-blah blah blahcore that I just find immensely comforting, in spite of the music's strenuous attempts to convince me of the opposite. Gatherers' infuriatingly titled " ( mutilator. ) " is one such album: the band are explicitly striving for a dystopian, post-apocalyptic tone on the album, and it would be unfair to say they never get there, but the sum total of the album is such a succinct, catchy slice of throwback heavyheavy that it's impossible not to become wrapped up in the nostalgia. Within the first three songs, vocalist Rich Weinberger has channeled the spirit of Daryl Palumbo, Bert McCracken and even Finch's Nate Barcalow for a diverse and impressive performance while the band bang out all sorts of jagged fretwork and pummeling rhythms behind him. They even draft in the grandfather of this whole emo-hardcore scene with a brief but worthwhile guest spot from Geoff Rickly on "gift horse". Album highlight "ad nauseam, i drown" is the perfect encapsulation of what Gatherers excel at, built over a gnarly riff that maintains plenty of tension right until the skyscraper of a hook kicks in. Genre veterans have heard all this before, down to the ambient-tinged interlude "spine" and late-album emo ballad "last days numbered on a rotary dial", but Gatherers have an undeniable gift for interpretation and packaging of the familiar that in their hands it feels fresh. Album closer "twelve omaha solemn certainty" hints at a more intense version of the band lurking in their future, where the combination of desolate lyrics and an exquisite buildup of tension and release really does make the band's private hell feel like the apocalypse for a few brief moments. But even if the rest of " ( mutilator. ) " is more of a guided tour through the best parts of the 2000s scene, Gatherers' execution of that vision is enticing enough to get you down in the doomsday bunker, burning scraps of Hot Topic clothing and huddling around the record player for warmth.

L.S. Dunes Past LivesArctic Monkeys The Car
The Wonder Years The Hum Goes on ForeverNo Devotion No Oblivion
JID The Forever StoryDanger Mouse and Black Thought Cheat Codes

Rowan5215
November 29th 2022

felt like this deserved a review so here's my quick one para thing. good or dumb, you decide

Sowing
November 29th 2022

Thanks for reviewing this. I like this more and more every day and "gift horse" is an absolute ace.

Rowan5215
November 29th 2022

ad nauseam and gift horse are the cream of this crop no doubt

SteakByrnes
November 29th 2022

Hell yes brother righteous stuff, this album rocks

artificialbox
November 29th 2022

my only complaint about this record is Geoff Rickly's feature on Gift Horse is barely noticeable :'(

JohnnyoftheWell
November 29th 2022

So this is the good 2nd wave phxc throwback ooo?

Orb
November 29th 2022

Awesome album I just wish the songs were a bit longer and had more, err, songwriting chops. Otherwise a fantastic performance that'll land juuust shy of my year end list.

Josh D.
November 29th 2022

I'll have to check this out, but no offense, I've grown weary of GJ references wrt to phc bands.

Eons
November 29th 2022

east coast post-hardcore almost always good, has a specific vibe that post-hardcore from other places don't have

JohnnyoftheWell
November 29th 2022

the first 25 seconds of this album really do be Maybe Memories in slow motion damn

pizzamachine

Such a pleasant listen!

artificialbox
November 29th 2022

first time I heard the ender on this album it gave me goosebumps and almost brought me to tears.

I was also a little high of shrooms but thats beside the point

AsleepInTheBack

Excellent write up

Album doesn’t quite scratch the itch for me but it’s certainly v well put together. Has the air of a grower tho so idk we’ll see.

LightAndGlass

East-coast post-hardcore is best post-hardcore [2]

Really liking what I'm hearing so far so I'll be giving this some time to see how it grows on me.

onionbubs
November 29th 2022

great review glad you covered this. albums a lot of fun. ad nauseam and gift horse are my top jams too

Defmytones
November 29th 2022

Never heard of this band till this dropped, absolutely stellar album front to back. Might get some flack for this, but I get heavy Brand New "Daisy" and "TDAG" vibes through this.

Muppelope

1990 Comments

I also get pretty heavy Brand New vibes from this. Some of the lighter sections sound like TDAG-SF era for sure.

Cormano

am intrigued, will check

JayEnder
November 29th 2022

This is like if Glassjaw and Brand New had an illegitimate post hxc lovechild. Cool stuff, only complaint is the production could use just a bit more clarity.

massalette and gift horse are top shelf material

Scoot