Draconian
Under a Godless Veil

by pizzamachine USER (338 Reviews)
April 14th, 2022 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An astral handjob. You will come for more.

I may not be the most “professional” reviewer sometimes but I can tell ya that this album slaps my pants off. Literally ever song is infesting in some type of way, burrowing into your brain and taking over your body like how Evangelical believers act when they hear live worship music. This *** is so ***ing beautiful man. I might not have a soul left but I do have sexy ears, and when I use them my soul leaves my body and transcends into the universe even though I don’t have a soul. Damn, this *** is super ***tastic and soulful as ***ing ***. Holy ***wad Batman!

Do I like this album? I have answered yes thus far, if you were paying attention. This is one of the best gothic/doom metal albums ever and there are good reasons for this.

1. the singer

Her vocals are a mix of ghostly/angelic in a way that is creepy and hauntingly gorgeous. With her unique voice it adds so much soul and ambience to every single track. She was clearly inspired by the late and iconic vocalist from Trees of Eternity in this album, and boy it does it give a lovely spacey vibe that also shows shades of ISON.

2. the scary scream guy

The dude’s growls are the best I’ve ever heard from any band ever. Ever. I’ve listened to A LOT of metal bands. These are the best growls. This *** will wake you up even if you’re dead. This *** pumps you with morphine. This *** mocks and crushes the balls of the weak and spits in the face of whatever God you believe in.

3. because I said so

Self-explanatory I dare say.

4. the songs

There is not a single bad song. Either you get something brutal as *** like The Sacrifical Flame or you get something lovely, OR you get something lovely AND brutal AT THE SAME MOTHERSLAPPING TIME like Sleepwalkers. That mix of terrifying screams with gorgeous, sometimes whispery vocals is so dang soothing and unsettling at the same time that it can only be described as delicious. Draconian hasn’t sounded this haunting and inspired since Turning Season Within which is another 5/5 album, a pure masterpiece. This is unfiltered Draconian juice straight in your ass. Don’t be boring. Check this album out.

Tool Fear InoculumBrian Tyler Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
World of Pleasure World Of Pleasure and FriendsBurnt By the Sun The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good
Shuriken Cadaveric Entwinement Constructing The CataclysmSilverlane Inside Internal Infinity

Dewinged
April 14th 2022

Shit didn't realize this didn't have a review, great album yeah.

And your review reads like a KILL review, which is obviously a praise.

April 14th 2022

I love KILL’s reviews, thanks man

Kinda expected Sputnik to drool over this album but I guess I’m the drooler lol

Durrzo
April 14th 2022

Album is great, when I really just want to chill out and have a vibe this is one of my favorites.

Koris
April 14th 2022

This reminds me of the Hell Awaits review I did under my original account, which I mean in a good way \m/

Dreamflight

1955 Comments

Sovran didnt much to me tbh but I'll give this a go.

Still love their early material.

April 14th 2022

This is a nice mix of older material vibes and progression imo

ConcubinaryCode
April 15th 2022

I like the double entendre in the summary. I'll check this cuz it sounds cool.

August 13th 2022

Eight comments and three of them are mine. 👺

Willie

19261 Comments

It's definitely an interesting review. Very Kill-inspired for sure. Anyway, I love Turning Season Within but nothing before or after it has really grabbed my attention.

August 13th 2022

Yes, the review was meant to grab attention lol.

I like everything by this band. Their quality has remained the same through their discography imo.

GhostShelter
August 13th 2022

Such a good album. Great production. Would love to see a co-headline tour in the US with Draconian and Paradise Lost.

August 13th 2022

The production on the bass is crazy man, this slams in the car