Every Time I Die

by While She Sleeps: [in the back] STAFF
October 21st, 2021 | 2133 replies

Release Date: 10/22/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Once more unto the breach

Have Every Time I Die always been quite this angry? The answer, obviously, is yes - as each and every one of the band's southern-fried, riff-stacked LPs can attest to - and yet there’s something distinctly, dizzingly fucking furious about Radical that is just chef kiss levels of delicious (*mwah*).

Opening trio “Dark Distance”, “Sly” and “Planet Shit” erupt with the kind of pissed-the-heck-off energy that the Buffalo-bred quintet haven’t quite hit since 2012’s Ex Lives. The slightly more composed and calculated tendencies of the band's recent output are briskly shaken off in exchange for Radical's joyously jagged edges, tinged as always with their characteristic hot pink flair for groove and melody. “All This And War” and “AWOL” keep the party going, breathlessly tossing out hand grenade after hand grenade of infectious bluesy hellfire. Jordan and Andy bounce frantic, funky licks off one another throughout both tracks, as Keith bellows out endless cathartic one-liners with reliable bravado and grit. Equally impressive are the softer cuts, ETID retaining a dash of poise and composure to their repertoire despite their renewed ferocity. The serene “Thing With Feathers” and painfully singable “Post-Boredom” pace out the boisterous beatdowns nicely, whilst the pensive "Desperate Pleasures" and “We Go Together” dial in some morishly claustrophobic atmospherics, sporadically bursting open with landmine drum-kicks and feedback freakouts just as you'd hope.

The thing is, I'm probably not telling you anything that you didn't already know. The lads have been at the centre of the pit since their favoured flavour of heavy was first conceived, and whilst many other names have come and gone, "Every Time I Die" still remains at the tip of our collective tongue after over 20 years. Radical is by no means a reinvention or revelation for the band, but I wouldn't want it to be. In refusing to fix what ain't broke, ETID prove themselves once more as the reigning king of their peculiar, blood-splattered bouncy-castle. I think I can speak for everyone when I say: thank fuck for that.

Frontierer OxidizedEmployed To Serve Conquering

Out tomorrow.

Good review

onionbubs
October 21st 2021

rad(ical) review. not sure if this is a 4 or a 4.5 yet (just bc theres so many songs here to dig into lol) but it most certainly rules

Digging: Volumes - Happier?

tyman128

yeah, I love this

Digging: Silent Planet - Iridescent

TooManyFriends
October 21st 2021

all this and war completes the extremely rare task of every successive part of the song being unequivocally better than the last

onionbubs
October 21st 2021

yea all this and war is incredible. scogin feature did not disappoint and is already one of my favorite features theyve ever done

Storm In A Teacup

October 21st 2021

Only on the opener and daaaamnnn, this is gonna be a trip.

dangerousdarrin

My dear God I want this immediately

Digging: Sentinels (US) - Collapse by Design

1954 Comments

God I’m so excited for this

SPAAARRREEEE ONLYYY THE ONES I LOOOOVVVEEEEE

Keith sounds p*ssed here, damn.

Storm In A Teacup
October 21st 2021

Nice review. Hyped for the album!

October 21st 2021

Nice to see they've continued their trend of having amazing openers.

StickFeit

1944 Comments

Album fucks hard, the boys done did it again

The Whip is brutal

JayEnder
October 21st 2021

So unbelievably stoked for this.

Digging: Volumes - Happier?

October 21st 2021

This might just end up topping Low Teens, how do they keep putting out such amazing material?

trilo
October 21st 2021

yea this absolutely rips (unsurprisingly)

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Rien ne suffit

October 21st 2021

The Whip is stupid heavy.

October 21st 2021

nice review man! had no idea this was coming out

anyone getting SOAD vibes during parts of Post - Boredom? haha

Digging: Emily Scott Robinson - American Siren

October 21st 2021

It's the blatant single of the album, for sure.

Album has minimal filler, impressive especially due to there being 16 tracks.