Ten After Two

2.0
poor

by xlev USER (1 Reviews)
October 10th, 2021 | 17 replies

Review Summary: The truth is that Ten After Two crafted an album that followed all genre conventions of the time.

A competent effort, the band's debut album does nothing outside of the norm and offers few memorable moments. Good musicianship, good screams, and good cleans. Everything is good, nothing is great, and honestly nothing is offensive or bad. Perhaps that's why a decade after this release there's likely few who remember the band or this album and even fewer coming back to it for repeated listens.

Standout tracks 'Before You Know It' and 'Dead After Dallas' offer a one-two punch of late aughts post-hardcore. 'Before You Know It' starts with a copy and paste of the best qualities of A Skylit Drive and rebuffs the standard by ending on something other than a chug-along breakdown. 'Dead After Dallas' quickly remedies this by kicking things off with a breakdown you could find on any Rise record of the era. If this sounds like your cup of tea, this album is built around these two song archetypes.

What else is there? Nothing. There's nothing else to find here. Songs vary slightly in quality, the drumming and guitar work can occasionally be interesting, and once in a while the vocalists have charisma. As I finish another listen of this album one more time, nothing has stood out and I'm left with questions. Is competency enough? Does rehashing everything that's already been done in a genre of music have any value? Why even create this?

The final line of "Believe Me" is sung, "Made me feel so..." and yet we haven't felt anything during the entire album.

good
JumpTheShark (3.5)
Although a somewhat generic release, Truth Is, although not the best release of this year, is still ...

If You Don't First

tellah
October 10th 2021

totally forgot about this, came out when Rise was pumping out hundreds of pop metalcore bands simultaneously

xlev
October 10th 2021

Yeah a song came up on spotify shuffle so I gave it a chance. Its insulting how much it just sounds like everything else

TooLateToGoBack

2076 Comments

Album art looks similar to Fever by BFMV.

tellah
October 10th 2021

I likely won't come back to this, but I remember the production on it being pretty rough. And yeah also agreed that it doesn't do anything to differentiate itself. Good review!

goonmob
October 10th 2021

Completely forgot about this. Now I remember why.

Uzumaki

Ah yes, I remember this.

… only because it sat in my iTunes library for like 6 years between listens. Was aight when I was first getting into the genre, but yeah, it’s very vanilla.

goonmob
October 11th 2021

God that production is so bad

October 11th 2021

I'd disagree that this is merely "good" at everything, but rather great across the board.

I also like the muddier production it's charming.

This is at least a 4.0

xlev
October 11th 2021

I can only see that being possibly in a vacuum. As it exists in the same universe as everything post hardcore and metalcore that came before it though, is there really anything they're doing that other bands don't do much better?

ohtheurgency
October 12th 2021

Kinda felt that this was one of the better risecore bands especially for not heavily relying on breakdowns constantly. If you want to listen to more butchered productions by Cameron Mizell listen to American Dream - Woe, is Me and Ground Dweller - Hands Like Houses.

October 12th 2021

"is there really anything they're doing that other bands don't do much better?"

Yes, execution.

thatbandsucks
October 12th 2021

Before You Know It slays really hard and there is no doubt that it's one of my fav tracks to ever come out of the scene. Aside from the genre as a whole being monotonous, I consider this band and For All those Sleeping a separate niche genre. The over the top pop sound mixed with the synthy metalcore of the late 00s was definitely something to be desired.

Snake.
October 13th 2021

"Album art looks similar to Fever by BFMV."

lol yeah i'm wondering is that the same woman on the cover??

ArteNovecento
October 13th 2021

Looks like it's the same stock image.

tcat84
October 15th 2021

The woman on the BFMV album cover has a lobster claw for an arm. Clearly a different woman

Snake.