Flora (USA)
Keep Calling

by neekafat CONTRIBUTOR (70 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2021 | 13 replies

Release Date: 03/09/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: cool kids only

With any debut EP, the trick is to stand out from the crowd. Flora Billen's bedroom-pop musings may stray too close to inspirations Soccer Mommy and Clairo, both in their 90s alt-pop aesthetic and murmured vocals, but the attention to detail in both the production and songwriting engage the listener from the start. Not every melody flails in your face; not every instrument fights for attention. With her father producing and older brother on guitar, Flora's tunes cement into a surprisingly solid collection of songs on her debut EP. Whether it be through the opener's gentle synths, standout "Magic Eraser"'s dip into americana during its coda, or "Better Off Alone"'s notably less successful punk stomp, each track signifies another side to Flora's sound—and her potential as an artist.

Keep Calling is clearly a labor of love, both for Flora and her family. In the release's marketing, her father paints the project's story as one of reconnection and support, of discovering a way to communicate with those you love beyond words. The EP indeed relies much on her kin's collaboration, but Flora is unquestionably the star of the show here. Her musings on love and life never ring hollow, as her vocals weaponize her own naivety in the most charming of ways. At 13 years old, one of the hardest things to do is finding your voice—Flora is figuring it out a lot faster than most of us. In time, the confidence on display here may lead her to be a dominating force of her genre. But for now, we're just lucky she's here.

Helena Deland Someone NewPVRIS Use Me
Alanis Morissette Such Pretty Forks in the RoadThe Chicks Gaslighter
HAIM Women In Music, Pt. IIIJaunt All In One
3.1
good

May 3rd 2021

First rev in long, long time and I wrote this immediately after my 2nd vax dose so pls forgive the brevity and rust--this is well worth checking if its your thing

"Magic Eraser": www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOkW8LP_3VI&ab

aaronrkc
May 4th 2021

Enjoyed this EP. Curious how you came across it. You from the KC/Lawrence/Topeka area?

Digging: Goodbye World - At Death's Door

Kompys2000
May 4th 2021

Oh shit a new neek review

This doesn't really sound like my thing at all but I might give it a go if this ends up being a slow week for me (:

Digging: Chad VanGaalen - World's Most Stressed Out Gardener

dedex

lovely lil rev

Digging: Erika de Casier - Sensational

Nocte
May 4th 2021

this is beautiful neeky (is sput down) - the review not the music, fuck knows about the music as we all know this is fan and away from what I'd normally go for.

Digging: ACAUSAL INTRUSION - Nulitas

normaloctagon
May 4th 2021

ep sounds interesting neek i'll give it a go soon, nice little rev

SteakByrnes
May 4th 2021

Woah neeka review hell yea, love ya bud and nice short review. Might check this out, I've been getting more into the indie sound lately

parksungjoon
May 4th 2021

I've been getting more into the indie sound lately

Digging: Make a Change...Kill Yourself - II

Sunnyvale
May 5th 2021

There's some cringy lyrics and a few other issues, but this is crazy impressive given the artist is 13. Magic Eraser is a beautiful tune, in particular. Nice review!

May 5th 2021

Thanks so much everyone, this might've been the longest break I've taken between reviews, hopefully it'll stay the longest (:

Glad you liked it Sunny, "Magic Eraser" is my choice cut too! That coda is phenomenal

Trifolium
May 6th 2021

Love this short little text which makes me think I should check the EP 💚

Hello neek!

May 6th 2021

Hello lovely! You should, would love to hear your thoughts (:

normaloctagon
May 7th 2021

cute EP, lightning in a bottle was my fave. hope she keeps at it!