Mare Cognitum
Solar Paroxysm

by Brandon N. USER (155 Reviews)
April 23rd, 2021 | 12 replies

Release Date: 03/19/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: to infinity and beyond

My problem with most astral black metal is that even though it claims to be inspired by the infinity of the cosmos, most of it seemingly draws from the same quadrant of sounds. One listen to Darkspace’s seminal Darkspace I, and you have not only essentially heard it all, but you’ve also heard the best. That was until Mare Cognitum, black metal solo project of Jacob Buczarski ignited into existence mid-2011 and finally delivered a vehicle robust enough to survey all the universe has to offer. His newest, Solar Paroxysm is the band’s most thorough exploration yet; riffs detonate like sunbursts and shrieks echo into the unending void as the songs unfurl into chaotic yet gorgeous celestial vistas. Buczarski has always known his way around melody, but here his command is at its best, each track imbued with moments that’ll orbit your mind for hours afterward. We’ll likely never reach the ends of the universe, but because of Mare Cognitum we’re a little further than before.

Mesarthim The Degenerate EraBagg Tussa баґґтусса
Horrendous IdolOssuarium Living Tomb
Lord Snow SHADOWMARKSSinmara Hvísl Stjarnanna
Brendan Schroer CONTRIBUTOR (4)
The vastness of space... in both its wonder and its horror....

April 23rd 2021

Nice sound-off. No, but in all seriousness, I really enjoy writing short, magazine style reviews and I’m actually really proud of how this one turned out! Brendan’s review is amazing, so if you haven’t make sure you check that out too!

Also, shout out to my brother Maniac! for proofreading/editing assistance!

Digging: Gonemage - Mystical Extraction

FabiusPictor202
April 23rd 2021

"but here is command is at its best," his?

Whoop, yes! Thank you

FabiusPictor202

np

Muzz79
April 23rd 2021

I agree its melody is the point of difference here

Digging: Nordgeist - Frostwinter

DivergentThinking
April 23rd 2021

Oh shit, nice! Solid little write-up, and I completely agree with this sentiment:

"My problem with most astral black metal is that even though it claims to be inspired by the infinity of the cosmos, most of it seemingly draws from the same quadrant of sounds."

That's the very reason I was so excited for something as dense and diverse as this album in the first place

zaruyache

yessss

Project
April 23rd 2021

the weird thing is I don't think I'd describe this album as particularly diverse, but it's just got really, really tight songwriting that makes it not a chore to listen to

Digging: half/cut - Salt an Atlas

April 23rd 2021

i definitely agree with that. sonically it doesn't it definitely sounds to be in the same vein but the songwriting is just superb

Maniac!

album sux

trilo

yea

Digging: Zao - The Crimson Corridor

April 27th 2021

not feeling it much honestly. dug the split from last year with Spectral Lore quite a bit tho

Digging: My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything