Andres (USA-MI)
Out In The Open

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oh, you. You're the one for me.

Whether it be through releases on the KDJ and Mahogani labels or collaboration with J Dilla and Slum Village, Andrés has certainly made a mark on underground music. Deep house classic “New For U” is a well-known gem on the DJ circuit, but, generally speaking, Andrés is one of the lesser-known Detroit heroes. Given his work ethic and humility in the scene, this is understandable, but it's notable that this understated, sincere quality is also reflected in his music.

Andrés and his contemporaries are inspired by an eclectic mixture of disco, soul, boogie, hip-hop, and jazz, but Andrés' unique approach skews toward the low-key and sentimental. Occupying a space in between dance and chill-out, he favors loops with power over the hips that can be felt just as deeply by head-bobbing or foot-tapping--and if you listen closely, you can hear the tracks revel in their dual existence. Each one is sample-heavy and often slightly un-quantized, wearing that choppy feel on its sleeve while simultaneously blending all the pieces into a cohesive, organic product. The resulting arrangements are sparse, yet somehow strangely lush, capturing the spirit of Detroit deep in a singular and unpretentious way. This sound can be enjoyed in a variety of contexts; whether lounging, dancing, or driving, there's something here that will fit the mood.

You may be thinking: ok, but Is It Cool? The answer is yes. But I hope you think so, too.

Meshell Ndegeocello Peace Beyond PassionDream Unending Tide Turns Eternal
Alexander O'Neal HearsayNick Holder Fruit Loops
Dzihan and Kamien Freaks and IconsBrandy Never Say Never

February 1st 2021

for all u streamers out there this is on spotify and youtube (っ^_^)っ

zelenichajnik
February 1st 2021

Man this is smooth as butterrrrrr

It is kinda amazing how natural this feels. That bass sample on Take Off (which I think is my early favourite) is just... nnnffff, and then the Marvin Gaye sample comes in and finishes me off.

February 1st 2021

hey nice ear zel! glad you’re feeling this

HalfManHalfAmazing
February 2nd 2021

This is like my favorite parts of Dilla and more straightforward house music rolled into one

February 2nd 2021

ayye knew you'd vibe man happy to hear

HalfManHalfAmazing
February 2nd 2021

I love Takeoff man thanks for sharing!

February 2nd 2021

takeoff do be the smoothest one here : )

check the Untitled series too ('99, '00, '01) but i think you'll really like '01. are u familiar with his Dez-Andres solo stuff?