ESPRIT
virtua.zip

by rellik009 USER (6 Reviews)
November 20th, 2020 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ESPRIT, I know what you're showing me is cool, but you don't have to show it to me for the 156th time!

Okay, so, vaporwave. I love(d) it. If I feel like dreaming to an uninterrupted flow of moody, psychedelic, corny music, I'll gladly put on some vaporwave. Or at least, I'll put on the 44:44 minutes t e l e p a t h album or Celebrating Digital Artefacts by Dante Mars Ajeto!. When I first got into vaporwave, I was obviously the brainless fanatic who didn't step back for a minute, and who just consumed it constantly, although I did vibe with some artists better than others. One of these artists was ESPRIT, and specifically this album, virtua.zip. Now, I used to think this release was ***en epic and an absolute masterpiece. But does it stand the test of time?

This album is admittedly pretty unique. “virtua.zip” blends seapunk and vaporwave, as well as adding a lot of original compositions alongside the samples. The tracks are essentially simple, improvised ideas extended and repeated for around 1-2 minutes, keeping you in a sea of vibez all the way through (hopefully), with all sorts of pads and effects (did I mention the production was grandiose?). Usually I dislike it a whole lot when I can recognize the sample; however, ESPRIT is able to utilize his samples in a manner that’s natural and authentic. This can be seen on ‘Iwillbe.wav’, which features MegaMan samples combined with tropical-sounding synths/melodic percussion. Another quality this album has is that it consistently delivers drowsy, sugary, but also soothing and infectious atmospheres to trap you in a constant repeat cycle. ‘Slowjet.wav’ and ‘Peter.wav’ are possibly the best examples of this, the former featuring a smooth-but-punchy bass line, and the latter a simple but cool beat grooving under straightforward synths plus a catchy vocal hook.

But with all this delivery comes a major problem. All of the base ideas are excellent, but the tracks follow the same exact formula a la 18 Carat Affair where the idea is superb, but only developed in a simplistic fashion, if at all. The craft of this album is (un)intentionally minimal, but at times (and depending on your mood) it can feel so, so, SO horribly poor(this is especially true for the original composition); and I can say without hyperbole that all the tracks suffer from this. There are more nuances in “virtua.zip” than in 18 Carat Affair’s albums, as a whole, but honestly, that’s not saying much. In turn, it causes the ‘WOW effect’ to slowly fade away when you realize how empty of complexity and overbearingly repetitive this album is. It’s a shame, because when I see ESPRIT’s liveshows, they are far more creative compared to his studio outings. But hey, this was a stepping stone for vaporwave, and it has become part of the Vaporwave Essentials Guide: Nu Edition, so I guess it's still alright after all.

Telepath 一緒に別の夜Perturbator New Model
Meshuggah NothingPrimus Antipop
Meshuggah The Violent Sleep of Reason
3.3

I submitted CRINGE

But you can read it at your leisure

tell me what you think of it! Especially if you neg

dedex

sounds cool, pos'd

you got a thingy at the beginning of para 3: "a la", sput doesn't like french 🥐🥖🐸

Digging: Big Black - Atomizer

November 20th 2020

indeed, you are right. we must revolt against this discrimination!

I changed it

dedex
November 20th 2020

une review en français comme ça ils captent r

Digging: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Float Along. Fill Your Lungs

Bedex

rellik rev rellik rev

Digging: Goodfight - Florida Room

November 20th 2020

"une review en francais comme ca ils captent r"

haha ouais faudrait qu'on fasse ça lol RÉVOLUTION. ah et au fait merci pour le pos'!

"ya bb! pos'd. it's been too long since I listened to some vaporwave, but maybe this isn't the right one to dip back into the genre with ;) keep the revs flowin!"

thx bro! honestly I'd recommend to give this album a try even though I didn't praise it. it deserves a listen for sure

November 20th 2020

then I shall! wait a sec, do you actually speak french rellik?!

yeah haha

"rellik rev rellik rev"

bedex joins the battle! thx bro and good to see you!

Bedex

jamming Dante Mars Ajeto instead of this bcs it gave me dah vaporwave itch

aw hell yeah

November 20th 2020

checking this rn and then checking dante mars ajeto since prior to recently, had heard of neither. lookin' like a vaporwave morning, boys

aw hell yeah [2]

I made a vaporwave list if you want to check it out

luci, Grandpaseth3000, and MisterTornado are also pretty knowledgeable about vapurrwave

JesperL

1928 Comments

le pos!
few pointy pointers:
- 'I was obviously the brainless fanatic who didn't step back for a minute, and who just consumed it constantly, although obviously' that's obviously 2x in one sentence, i'd change one to a 'naturally' or a 'clearly' or smth
- 'Every single track..' this feels like quite a long sentence, consider breaking up
- 'which namely features' i don't think 'namely' is the ideal word here, leaving it out would probs be better
- 'times (and..', 'poor (this..' (add spaces b4 brackets)
- 'fadeaway' = 'fade away'

Digging: Palm Reader - Sleepless

thx boi!

I'll edit it all quickly

November 21st 2020

possibly. I need to czech it

MiloRuggles

Nice, post. Album is fun

November 21st 2020

album is fun that's true

it's less fun after a couple relistens tho

November 21st 2020

Lotus Esprit is one of my favourite cars ever

Digging: DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Makin' Magick

MotokoKusanagi
November 22nd 2020

this is pretty nice tbh, i'm no vaporwave connoisseur though