Deftones
Ohms

by Jeffery J. Bigglestein USER (51 Reviews)
October 17th, 2020 | 209 replies

Release Date: 09/25/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best Deftones album yet.

Today we tackle one of the most hyped up albums of 2020. Does it stand up to the extremely high praises the neckbeards have given it? Find out next on, Jeffery Bigglestein reviews!

Sowingcore (Noun)

A specific genre of music that satisfies the following qualities:

• Unconventional song structure
• Guitar
• Well liked on Sputnikmusic, considered a "classic"
• Average at best lead singer
• A track where the lead vocalist screams “JEEEZUSSSSS CHRIIIIIST”
• Long and drawn out filler
• Specific points that makes you think "why the fuck does anyone like this garbage"
• Made for white people

This deaftones album is fucking mid. Sorry sowing but I gave kid a a fucking 5 and you never texted me back so im not pulling my punches this time. Its sad because there are some elements I really like about it, elements that could make the album a 4 or even a 5 if expanded more. “Genesis” is a fantastic lead for this record, a contrast of ambience and chaos. The synths and guitars are both really well done on this track. Simple, yet clever tricks like how “Pompeji” transitions into “This Link Is Dead” make this album really stand out. “Radiant City” is super catchy and features a fantastic hybrid of guitars and synths. Yes fantano the synths are good on this album kiss my ass. Also theres nothing wrong with the centrist/balance theme either and im an anarchist, fantanos always been a clown when it comes to politics but Im getting off topic. The switch between subtle atmosphere and unpredictable intensity is utilized well several times on Ohms. This album has a few high points and standout moments that make me at least understand why people hyped this up so much. Sadly though that’s really where my compliments end.

I mention how the last 30 seconds of “Pompeji” build to an excellent transition to “This Link is Dead” and this is true. What I omitted, though, was that the first 5 minutes of “Pompeji” is flaming dogshit. If I had a dime for every album this month ive listened to where an off-pitch, mediocre vocalist screams “JEEEEEZZZZUUUSSSS CHRIIIISTTTTTT” id have 2 dimes, which is not a lot of money but its just weird its happened twice. This record did it better than Neutral Milk Hotel because unlike Jeff Magnum, Chino’s vocals don’t give me a migrane, but still please get this out of my music. Insert Chino budhist joke here. Chino’s vocals are meh, not trash but don’t do the instrumentals any favors and at times just come off as angsty and whiny. The production at times is jumbled and confusing. The drums suck ass this is confirmed. Overall this album has a fair amount of high points but is weighed down by awkward and unimpressive composition. Deaftones are okay a bit overhyped and it seems like most people just give them a pass on their mistakes. If I wanted to listen to a neutered bring me the horizon I wouldn’t because that idea in general just seems lame as fuck. Deftones confirmed mid 2.5/5.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to HeavenBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Talking Heads Remain in LightRadiohead Kid A
Rush RushThe Carters Everything Is Love
SowingSeason STAFF (5)
The best Deftones album yet...

parkercr00k (4.5)
Deftones paint a beautifully abrasive canvas of sound that fits perfectly into their consistent cata...

October 17th 2020

if this review stays up and is not deleted, the union will cease its strike.

if this is deleted we will strike harder than ever. also mods will be confirmed losers and butthurt.

midtones

dedex
October 17th 2020

A track where the lead vocalist screams “JEEEZUSSSSS CHRIIIIIST”

October 17th 2020

i thought i was done with that shit after neutral milk hotel

October 17th 2020

jesus christ i'm alone again

October 17th 2020

actually no self titled is the best deftones. but its close and im keeping the summary lmao.

Colton
October 17th 2020

“We're surrounded by debris of the past

And it's too late to cause a change in the tides

So we slip into our hopeless sea of regret as I stare”

- the mods after realizing they should have met Jeffery’s demands

ok whose joke idea was it to NEG MY REVIEW

Valkoor952

you first.

October 17th 2020

yo bigglestein what's your view on crystal castles

Digging: Tricot - 10

October 17th 2020

also since when did sowingcore have unconventional song structures?

October 17th 2020

not sure jimmy, it's always subtly be there

davezillaMP3
October 17th 2020

Biggie is now launching an assult on metal fans lol. (this review is better then fantanos review, which was a review that is pitchforks levels of bad but i will refrain from tearing into it for now). I will wait a little before i go off passsionatly defending this album in case my feelings change when the hype dies down like what happened with me and TOOL last year. I may not agree with everything you say, but still take my POS.

October 17th 2020

fantano's review was jks tbh, love the way he slammed genesis (and that "BALANCE Balance balance blance" line sucks ass, let the side down for centrism big time :[)

that dislike ratio tho

October 17th 2020

probably because the review was just a bunch of whining and political nonsense. fantano's hate boner for centrism is ironic considering the dude dickrides joe biden who is as close to a right wing liberal that you can be. plus, fantano just nitpicked the shit about the sci-fi synths and guitars which were actually decent and complained about a lot of issues that didnt even exist. fantanos review was literally incorrect. i can see hating this but not really for the reasons that he mentioned.

October 17th 2020

Wait when did u post this review I feel out of the loop how did I not see this

October 17th 2020

Ignore my rating I’m having a sadtone identity crisis and taking a break from the ohmtones to see if I still don’t like it when I return

October 17th 2020

I’m going to give you 12 pos ok don’t worry about those negatives i am become pos posse